Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 07:53 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,150,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
I'm in my late 20s and I still don't have a "career plan." I think that I just don't want a career, and that people in the United States put too much emphasis on their career in their lives.

I want to have a job I like, but I don't really care to have a career. I want to LIVE my life and not have it revolve around work.

Thoughts?
This mindset is not unusual for someone your age. Also not unusual for sosmeone living in SoCal, especially LA. I think it's healthy for one's life not to revolve around work. There are also careers that are essentially 40 hours/week. Whatever works for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 08:05 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Lot of assumptions around career and "living to work". I went to grad school for my "career" and I work a salaried position but pretty much 9 - 5. I make good money and work I generally like and I consider it a career. No need to over-compartmentalize.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:47 AM

33 posts, read 20,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
LOL!!!

OP, life is full of opportunity. You don't need a college degree to make good money ~ in fact I suspect future trends will show better money in "trades" than in most college career paths. You don't need to stick with one line of work to make good money either, I have an in-law who's been a teacher, a portrait /wedding photographer (making $20k per event) and is now about half way through a medical program to be a doctor. Do what you want. Me, I haven't had a paying job in over a decade (wife works 3 days a week) and yet we own a 2,200sq/ft historic house, spent a few weeks in Europe through September, and are lacking absolutely nothing. While my wife has a medical degree, she sees it as a job and has pushed all attempts at "furthering her career" to the side. It's more important that we have time to enjoy life, and having a 4-day weekend every week allows us to do a lot of travel which is how we enjoy life.

So, do what you like. Don't worry about what others think/say as they don't know it all anyway. Half the nay-sayers will simply be jealous that you're taking a path they wish they had, the others are content with theirs but only because that's all they know.
I stopped reading here. The only people who can afford to have such an easy going view on life and finances are people who have someone with a solid income/solid, recession proof profession, supporting them. You don't have to worry about bringing an income in because your wife essentially has that covered...
I don't think thats the situation for the OP. Unless he or she is a trust fund kid or something, I'd seriously reconsider that perspective on career...
But after all, its your life. If you're comfortable with whatever the outcome may be, sure...

Old 11-20-2017, 08:53 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedosmiles View Post
I stopped reading here. The only people who can afford to have such an easy going view on life and finances are people who have someone with a solid income/solid, recession proof profession, supporting them. You don't have to worry about bringing an income in because your wife essentially has that covered...
I don't think thats the situation for the OP. Unless he or she is a trust fund kid or something, I'd seriously reconsider that perspective on career...
But after all, its your life. If you're comfortable with whatever the outcome may be, sure...
Lol. Right.

"I haven't worked in a decade"... uhhh your wife is a doctor & supporting you.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:05 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times
A career is good to shoot for, but there are so many lousy employers out there right now, it makes it difficult to want to get a "career" to be honest.

95 percent of companies out there today will just put a sour taste in your mouth and make you wish you're just collecting unemployment instead of working in a hell hole with lousy management that don't deserve to be in the positions they are

Old 11-20-2017, 09:12 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
I'm in my late 20s and I still don't have a "career plan." I think that I just don't want a career, and that people in the United States put too much emphasis on their career in their lives.

I want to have a job I like, but I don't really care to have a career. I want to LIVE my life and not have it revolve around work.

Thoughts?
That's fine so long as you don't expect others to pay for it and you will be content with what you can afford.

Having a career you like greatly enhances the odds of you having a job you like.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:40 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
I don't have a career. Never did. I get by okay but I could make a lot more money if I actually committed to something. It is what it is.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:18 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,682,286 times
OP, there are so many ways to live life! Not everyone wants to climb the corporate ladder and that is okay. Live a life that is fulfilling to you and pay no mind to the nay-sayers.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:30 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
OP, there are so many ways to live life! Not everyone wants to climb the corporate ladder and that is okay. Live a life that is fulfilling to you and pay no mind to the nay-sayers.
This!!!

A guy I knew didn't want a 'career' but wanted a job that would provide benefits and would be indoors. He found a position in the 'mail room' of a large corporation and loved it! He didn't have a boss looking over his shoulder all day and enjoyed going around the building delivering mail to the departments - he wasn't trapped in the mail room all day.

He was probably one of the happiest, less stressed employees in the building.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:49 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,938,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
You will have to accept a life of poverty.
If you have no debts or children you can have a good life making low wages not everyone lives to work. Many prefer time to themselves focusing on hobbies or just plain old relaxing. For myself if I really pushed myself I could make alot more but I like the free time I have and money is very low on my list of priorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment