Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2017, 06:10 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,719,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Nope, shutting down free trade and setting tarrifs based on some kind of quality of life/cost of living index as well as shutting down work visa's for all the most dire circumstance's would make minimum wage not needed anymore. the drugged out druggies would not be able to survive and people willing to work would make real money because the ownership class could not leverage slave labor. It would be win win.

Some stuff would be automated but mostly jobs that suck and with H1B's no longer taking jobs people could then apply for and actually get good jobs (unless your the burned out druggie).

Why do you think Trump is doing every thing BUT implementing the across the board 45% tarrif (or higher if needed) with China and only paying lip service to completely shutting down H1B (and all other sneaky slave visas)? Because those 2 things are what the elite leverage the most in order to develop assets cheap while charging a premium to US citizens, because people don't want to live like 3rd worlders so they pay it .... for now.
You really don't understand how international trade works, do you? Nor the unbelievable benefits, overall, it provides to economies and people across the world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeUnderground View Post
I don't know if I can gauge what my worth is. I'm currently still working on my college degrees in HIT/IT and I currently make 15$ an hour, working in an Information Systems department at a large corporation. I'm just a contract worker though. Doubt I'll be able to get anything close to 15$ until after I graduate, although I have had my eye on a permanent position that I had been recruited for a few months prior that starts at $14.84, but who knows if there will still be availability.

I guess at the moment I'm worth 13-14/hr?
I have internal IT groups in all of the companies I own. I don't think we have a single college educated, go-getter employee under $30/hour, even entry level. All but a couple of roles would typically be full time with full benefits. We pay interns $12-15/hr. If you are only offered an entry level position for less than $15 you either are in the wrong specialty, the wrong location, or aren't selling yourself very well. And you wasted your money going to college.

Keep looking for better opportunities. Right now most Internal IT departments are limited due to quality resource availability. And consider moving into IT products or services, especially cloud, machine learning, or big data/analytics. They pay better than internal IT although the work will be a lot more challenging and you will most likely need to live in a high cost of living location.

Good luck.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Hate to burst your bubble, but a LOT of employers want employees (or potential ones) to have a car and cell phone these days
You'd be surprised. I doubt over 25% of my team in SF, London, or Seattle have a car, by choice. Don't know about mobile phones but I don't call them so I don't have any idea.

Really depends on where you live. Iowa? Probably need to have a car. NYC? Probably don't.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:26 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,906,412 times
Low wage jobs like retail employ largely a transient workforce. I don't think there is any movement for collective bargaining of fast food workers to get $15 an hour. I don't understand the panic. $15 an hour simply won't happen except in places like SF or NYC with an insane cost of living.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:04 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,527,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
While you're at it build big concrete apartment buildings and make everyone live there, comrade.

Want to have a nicer place to live? Get a better job, endure the commute, move to a cheaper city. If you have a job that doesn't pay but you stay in a high cost of living area that's your choice.

Everyone seems to think they have a 'right' to live in SF, LA, Seattle, Boston, NY, Vancouver, Toronto, or wherever. You don't. There's a whole swath of the US and Canada with a super low cost of living. You can do your same job, most likely at the same wage, and live comfortably in these locations. But so often people say that they just couldn't live there. Apparently you can't afford to live here either.
Ever heard of artificial scarcity? Property owners have a perverse incentive to stop development as they gain from it with escalating property values, which hurt non-owners as well as buyers. It's actually anti-free market as well. In a normal free market, developers would build during a time of high prices, until prices drop to a point where they would only break even

Old 11-29-2017, 07:05 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,527,197 times
Quote:
You'd be surprised. I doubt over 25% of my team in SF, London, or Seattle have a car, by choice. Don't know about mobile phones but I don't call them so I don't have any idea.

Really depends on where you live. Iowa? Probably need to have a car. NYC? Probably don't.
A cell phone is required in my line of work. I only get away without a car because my apartment and job are on the light rail line

Old 11-29-2017, 07:14 AM

6,600 posts, read 8,946,790 times
Quote:
Hate to burst your bubble, but a LOT of employers want employees (or potential ones) to have a car and cell phone these days
I have an employer provided beeper. I'd prefer they contact me on my personal cell really. One less thing to carry and charge.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:48 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,098,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I'd say for me about $30. Almost 40 years experience working on everything from 300 ft warships to scale models. And I mean everything. I make slightly less than that now but I like my work so i can live with that. There's an element of misery too. I spend a lot of time in mud cold and rain.

The problem we're facing though is wages that are not keeping up with the cost of living. I live well. Many people I know are struggling even though they work hard and are smart about life. The system is out of balance. I remember in the 70s America bragged about how we would help the 3rd world rise up to where we were. It's not going that way, the 3rd world is here.

I think one thing that would help us immensely would be for government to compete with the realestate industry. The cost of housing is way out of control. Cut the rents by a third and see what happens.
Excuse me? The "government" is us. And the money the government distributes is OURS. Want a house? Save YOUR money!

Old 11-29-2017, 09:40 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,906,412 times
Quote:
While you're at it build big concrete apartment buildings and make everyone live there, comrade.

Want to have a nicer place to live? Get a better job, endure the commute, move to a cheaper city. If you have a job that doesn't pay but you stay in a high cost of living area that's your choice.

Everyone seems to think they have a 'right' to live in SF, LA, Seattle, Boston, NY, Vancouver, Toronto, or wherever. You don't. There's a whole swath of the US and Canada with a super low cost of living. You can do your same job, most likely at the same wage, and live comfortably in these locations. But so often people say that they just couldn't live there. Apparently you can't afford to live here either.

Excellent points, and ones I keep making myself. Everyone wants to live in a hip and trendy place but complain when they get the bill for it.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Ever heard of artificial scarcity? Property owners have a perverse incentive to stop development as they gain from it with escalating property values, which hurt non-owners as well as buyers. It's actually anti-free market as well. In a normal free market, developers would build during a time of high prices, until prices drop to a point where they would only break even
There are all types of scarcity. In many areas land is the true scarcity. That quickly changes the type of financially viable development that will happen on it, again driving the price up and pricing out a bunch of lower income people.

Utilities, water, and other infrastructure can also be a 'scarcity' which drives up costs, as can scarcity of skilled building labor, raw materials such as structural steel, and building equipment such as cranes. Right now, almost every tower crane in North America is being used in Seattle. If you want to start a new high rise development you'd have to wait in line just for this one critical component. I know people in other markets that are sitting on tower cranes while they finish financing and permitting because if they give it up it will be many years before they get another one.

Sure, you could live farther out where land is cheap but then people would be back to complaining about the commute.

Regarding your anti-free market comment, if there is demand at a certain price point someone will step in. If no one does then there probably is a good reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment