Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2017, 06:09 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleNicole View Post
You can do 1000 odd jobs, but that is not consistent income.

You can't count on an odd job as an official income. Yes you may make extra money here and there but that is not something to be dependent on.

The handyman and the babysitters are things of the past. As you said, those people knew and trusted your husband.....probably the same with your daughter. Its not something someone can just walk into and start the job.

I also stated that my neighbors have a nanny that work for them from 8am-4pm and they pay her $20hr to watch their 3 kids which 2 are at pre-school part of that time. They found her on Care.com so not a relative. Lots of people make a living as caregivers such as nannies and babysitters, not to mention companions for the elderly. It's not unheard of to make at least $15hr to do it either! This profession is definitely not one of the past as there are more families that have two parents working now more than ever! As I stated in my earlier post, not even my 12 yr old daughter excepts less than $10hr to babysit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 07:44 PM

17 posts, read 24,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
If they generate more than $15 in gross profit, their job is worth $15. You cannot sell goods without a cashier, so the difference between $0 sales and something higher is probably worth $15.
I disagree. They're doing the same work at $15. They're not going to generate more gross profit just because they're getting an additional $5/hr. The only way to increase sales is to either get new customers to shop at my business or get each existing customer to buy more. And that's a conundrum I'm already dealing with when my competition is the internet selling counterfeit goods at ridiculous prices (that's a whole other forum discussion) or the big box retailer down the street that can swallow a minimum wage increase.

Old 12-10-2017, 10:20 PM

17 posts, read 24,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Yeah that’s part of being a good business owner to calculate expenses. It is why businesses like Costco, and Hobby Lobby can pay more.
Giant companies like Costco and Hobby Lobby can afford to pay more. Small businesses like mine cannot, no matter how much calculating we do.

Old 12-10-2017, 11:25 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Back in the mid 70's I was making 7.50 an hour as a union member for a retail drug store chain. Minimum wage then was about 2.65 or so.

I was paying 110.00 per mth rent on a decent house....raising two lil ones....and barely making it with utilities, food etc. I used to gripe because my sitter cleared more than I did.

Seriously....15.00 hr is barely enough to live on in these inflated times. Why would anyone ever begrudge someone a living wage.

Old 12-10-2017, 11:39 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,273,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
again, they pay more, and select better people at the same time...

they expect a certain quality of work for the money they are paying, do you think those people would be unable to find another $15/hr job if costco or hobby lobby fired them? they can make that much because they are skilled enouh to make that much. which employer they work is irrelevant becuase they can leave and make the same money

why are students smarter at harvard than the local junior college? harvard selects smarter people to let in... same example as your higher paying/better working employee, they only get paid more because they are better than the ones who didnt get the job
Yes and they get that quality of work because you pay more. The old saying is true you get what you pay for if you pay little do no expect employees to work hard or be loyal. How is exactly a cashier more skilled at Costco more skilled then one at Walmart? I have been to both and do not see a difference.

Old 12-10-2017, 11:41 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue9396 View Post
Giant companies like Costco and Hobby Lobby can afford to pay more. Small businesses like mine cannot, no matter how much calculating we do.
Not to pick on you personally, but relative to your comment in general about small businesses.

The harsh reality is that if a small business is not making a profit....then you really should take a look at whether it is time to get out of business. What do you pay yourself?

Honestly, with a 5.00 hr increase....200.00 a week more is what you are discussing. Paying someone a living wage and keeping a consistent good employee, as opposed to having lots of turn over with new cashiers has some value.

So, at 15.00 an hr x 40 hrs...or 2400 a month.....not counting all the mandatory deductions...that certainly isn't a living wage in many places. My daughter pays 2400 a month rent in Calif.

Old 12-10-2017, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue9396 View Post
If your business by itself was paying more no but if we raise min wage then all businesses will be paying more thus giving more people spending money. Why do businesses feel entitled that they should be able to get workers to help their business and not have to pay them much? If you want to hire workers you need to be able to be able to pay them enough so they can live and do not have to rely on our tax money to support them.

Old 12-10-2017, 11:45 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Yes and they get that quality of work because you pay more. The old saying is true you get what you pay for if you pay little do no expect employees to work hard or be loyal. How is exactly a cashier more skilled at Costco more skilled then one at Walmart? I have been to both and do not see a difference.
you know they didn't "decide" to become quality employees after they got paid more right? they were already quality workers which is why someone was willing to pay them more

you are putting the cart before the horse if you think increasing minimum wage makes minimum wage workers better at their job

Old 12-10-2017, 11:52 PM

Quote:
you know they didn't "decide" to become quality employees after they got paid more right? they were already quality workers which is why someone was willing to pay them more

you are putting the cart before the horse if you think increasing minimum wage makes minimum wage workers better at their job
They start new hires at $11.They do not know for sure if they are quality employees they can only guess from the application they receive. I know that min wage increases makes min wage workers better would you want to work hard and put effort in if you were payed very little I do not think many people would.

Old 12-10-2017, 11:54 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,560 times
Quote:

It does in a somewhat morbid way - the people who now aren't able to find work at all or get less hours will be disproportionately the worse minimum wage workers. So as a group they will be better because the individuals getting excluded will skew toward the low end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment