Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2018, 09:04 AM

639 posts, read 376,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I am less worried about unskilled people. I think skilled people need to start setting themselves up financially so that they dont have to take low ball offers and can unofficailly start their own cartels. Typically there are not a ton of highly skilled people in any given technical field, the problem is companies seem to be able to find just enough skilled people to take their crappy offer because they had too many kids, have a spouse with a spending problem, they have a spending problem, bought too big of a house, etc, etc. This screws everyone in the profession because now the company thinks they can get people to do a whole host of undesirable things for marginal pay (moving to undesirable areas, doing rotation work, working OT, doing gig work, etc).

When companies start learning that highly skilled people are going to basicly write their own employment contracts and you as the company are going to like it or we walk thats a good thing. The only way this can be done is if skilled people have more assets than liabilities.
Very good points through and through. Wish more people were thinking like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 09:23 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,475,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble and Kind View Post
Undignified? How can you even say that about someone? Your head is still up in the clouds in a WW1 bi-plane.
Joking aside, really those jobs are important to people. I know a few younger people that work there and a few "retired" people who work there. They are all happy and appreciative of the opportunity. I am talking local, and I don't talk to everyone so take it for what it's worth.
I wouldn't mind this post alone, but then you have scores of C-D users who'll then criticize these such MW jobs, saying "these were meant for high school students, not permanent jobs". Well folks... which is it? On one hand, you think they should only be for HS students, but OTOH, many of the jobs that such workers would've moved on from, like factory work, has been either outsourced or automated. For your/this post, I agree that if someone wants to do an honest day's work, they shouldn't have to rely on welfare. The one's that don't have dual incomes, or otherwise have other expenses already taken care of. People are not willing to acknowledge that most of the working population isn't really capable of anything more than the mundane. They're willing to work hard, and have a good work ethic, but that's no longer been the case since decades ago.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:25 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,475,764 times
Quote:
Thats not what put small buisness under. People would not need these jobs to pay what they do if the gap between the next rung was not 40' wide. Would you make a ladder where after the 3rd rung the next step was 20' away.

Thats the way todays market works, oh thats nice you had your mcjob in high school. You want a real middle class income now, its time to become a rocket scientist surgeon entrepreneur with 20 years experience.

Oh you dont have that after you graduated high school, oh man that sucks. Well I guess you can work at best buy and live in your moms basement until you invent cold fusion or start a company like amazon.
In today's capitalism, it's easier for large companies to just suppress or buy out the competition. Some of the smaller shops never had a chance.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:14 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
People are not willing to acknowledge that most of the working population isn't really capable of anything more than the mundane. They're willing to work hard, and have a good work ethic, but that's no longer been the case since decades ago.
if they aren't capable of anything beyond being mundane, then why do they expect a life that isn't mundane in return?

it isn't all that hard to live a mundane life, but none of them want to do that, so they rely on welfare to make up the short coming...

why do you think that they deserve better than what they can do if they worked "harder'? even if they can't go above the mundane work?

it doesn't matter how hard you dig a ditch, you are still digging a hole that you aren't filling

I don't mind govt helping people live better, but they are not entitled to living better for being alive

Old 01-17-2018, 08:44 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,060 times
How bout 13 an hour? That’s what I made back in 1999 framing homes, now it’s $13.50 an hour done by immigrants, legal and illegal. Guess what the builder says who now has doubled his profits on those homes being built, “ can’t find Americans to do that jobâ€. I wonder why?

So .50 in just about 20 years, awesome. Hell my FIL made $14.50 an hour in a steel mill back in ‘85, people need to stop acting like 15 an hour is an anomaly or outrageous. Has anyone gone to McDonald’s lately to see how much they sell crap for for? A coworker went there for lunch, a 10 piece chicken nugget, soda and fries cost him $7.08, lol. But they can’t afford to pay decent wages, please.

Wages are relative to what owners of businesses that are in collusion with each other want to pay, it’s as simple as that. Example?? Lowes and HD stopped paying commission years ago for appliance sales, why??? Because average salesmen we’re making in upwards of $60,000 per year, not because either company was losing money on those sales, well not entirely. Profits have been down on appliances since the days of commission because the salesmen don’t care what anyone buys, so revenues went up, but profits down.

Lowes and HD would rather lose money than pay good money to employees, but here’s the best part those appliance makers like Samsung, LG, and Whirlpool still pay commission, Lowes and HD keeps it.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:19 AM

923 posts, read 526,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
I wouldn't mind this post alone, but then you have scores of C-D users who'll then criticize these such MW jobs, saying "these were meant for high school students, not permanent jobs". Well folks... which is it? On one hand, you think they should only be for HS students, but OTOH, many of the jobs that such workers would've moved on from, like factory work, has been either outsourced or automated. For your/this post, I agree that if someone wants to do an honest day's work, they shouldn't have to rely on welfare. The one's that don't have dual incomes, or otherwise have other expenses already taken care of. People are not willing to acknowledge that most of the working population isn't really capable of anything more than the mundane. They're willing to work hard, and have a good work ethic, but that's no longer been the case since decades ago.
I've found that many people like the mundane/mediocre, no responsibilities, no stress, just go to work and go home.
Problem is, they want more pay for less productivity. Raise MW, and I'll do what I must to keep my business going. I don't pay MW, but if MW was 15 then others would want an increase also...for the same productivity? I can't do that. Then I resort to more automation and seasonal work/part time.

So now they get the 15/hr, less hours, same gross income. I'd rather pay someone ambitious 20/hr than 2 people 15/hr and get the same work done.

Not every business is like mine, I do understand, but as a small business owner I need to make it work. Expenses go up for my business just like they go up for MW employees.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:54 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times
Quote:
I've found that many people like the mundane/mediocre, no responsibilities, no stress, just go to work and go home.
Problem is, they want more pay for less productivity. Raise MW, and I'll do what I must to keep my business going. I don't pay MW, but if MW was 15 then others would want an increase also...for the same productivity? I can't do that. Then I resort to more automation and seasonal work/part time.

So now they get the 15/hr, less hours, same gross income. I'd rather pay someone ambitious 20/hr than 2 people 15/hr and get the same work done.

Not every business is like mine, I do understand, but as a small business owner I need to make it work. Expenses go up for my business just like they go up for MW employees.
People don't want to produce because they wont see enough of the surplus value of their efforts, especially when it comes to intellectual property. If I am a smart person why would I put intellectual property out there to be mined that I wont see a percentage of profits from?

Old 01-18-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
People don't want to produce because they wont see enough of the surplus value of their efforts, especially when it comes to intellectual property. If I am a smart person why would I put intellectual property out there to be mined that I wont see a percentage of profits from?
Good point. Then start your own company. Very simple.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
BTW, the money you make is made by the company you work for, so you are getting a percentage of the profits. Also, your assets aren't on the line if the company doesn't make money. You can take another job tomorrow, not so with a company.
Perfect example is stores closing down, those assets are lost by the company.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:24 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times
Quote:
Good point. Then start your own company. Very simple.
It is very likely these same people have a side hustle and just need to extract enough wages to do just that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment