Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 12:53 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
So, if you saw a posting for the exact same position you had accepted that paid $500+ more per month, you just wouldn't worry about it? Wow.
no, because I wouldn't accept an offer that I couldn't live with to begin with...

I don't have salary envy or jealousy

when I feel like I want more and current job doesn't meet it, I will apply for a new job, which OP can do himself, he can turn down current offer and apply for new job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 01:25 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
But don't you see? It's not as if the OP has actually applied for, and been interviewed for this other job, so he has no way of knowing whether he would actually get that pay in that position.
He said it's a lower rank of the same position for the same department and the same team. The same hiring manager (presumably) already offered him the higher position, of course they would hire him for the lower position!

This could be something as simple as an error in the job posting, but it's something that OP should ask the employer about.

Old 11-28-2017, 01:31 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
He said it's a lower rank of the same position for the same department and the same team. The same hiring manager (presumably) already offered him the higher position, of course they would hire him for the lower position!
Not if it uses different skills (that the OP may not have).

In any case, whatever floats his boat. *shrugs*

But I certainly wouldn't do it, and I've been working in IT for 28 years.

Good luck, OP, let us know what happens.

Old 11-28-2017, 03:42 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,400,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post

This could be something as simple as an error in the job posting, but it's something that OP should ask the employer about.
Yes I agree. Could just be a big misunderstanding. But I'm a firm believer in asking questions that cost nothing to ask and that could potentially result in earning more money. You just have to be respectful in how you word it.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:30 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Ah, but if the new-hire wasn't still looking for another job after already being hired, this wouldn't be an issue. If this were to come up, I'd realize it right away and again, would let him go if that's what he wants to strive for. But if he doesn't get the other position, you think I'm going to rehire him? Nope.

But don't you see? It's not as if the OP has actually applied for, and been interviewed for this other job, so he has no way of knowing whether he would actually get that pay in that position. So it doesn't matter to me whether he walks away or not. We don't have any idea if he can do the job we already gave him, and now he wants more money before he even starts.

It would be different if he'd been working somewhere with a competitive pay grade, and he was counter-offering, say because his former employer deciding to try to keep him when he gave his two-week notice.
It’s not different. They have a job posted at a lower level job for much higher pay on the same team with the same hiring manager. They’ll be forced to readvertise or offer the job to someone else who has probably applied for the lower level position or at least seen the advertisement. They are simply not in a good position now to tell the OP to take it or leave it, because the chance that they’ll find someone who will take what the OP has been offered at this point is very low. The company made a very poor strategic decision to advertise the second position before the OP had started the first position.

Old 11-28-2017, 05:32 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,795,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yman86 View Post
Thank you for your reply. So technically it is the same title, but it's a tiered system with titles like "Support Tech (Senior)", "Support Tech (Mid)", and then just "Support Tech." I accepted my offer for a "Support Tech (Sr)" position on the team, then the posting I saw today was for a "Support Tech (Mid)" position, yet the range started at about $7k higher than the position I accepted, which is technically a higher position. Same team, same dept, etc...
So the Senior tier is lower than the Mid? I think I would contact HR and ask about that ASAP. Just doesn’t make sense. It isn’t to the orgs benefit to hire someone and drastically underpay them.

Best of luck

Old 11-29-2017, 02:31 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,404 times
Something similar to this I am familiar with is while you were in the hiring process the employer may have been doing pay and class study and salary ranges may have been revised up. In that scenario yours would also be different from what was advertised. They may hold that information to get you at certain level. A simple question to HR would solve your problem.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:22 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,286,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yman86 View Post
Thank you for your reply. So technically it is the same title, but it's a tiered system with titles like "Support Tech (Senior)", "Support Tech (Mid)", and then just "Support Tech." I accepted my offer for a "Support Tech (Sr)" position on the team, then the posting I saw today was for a "Support Tech (Mid)" position, yet the range started at about $7k higher than the position I accepted, which is technically a higher position. Same team, same dept, etc...
Same location? Not sure how big this company is, but location can be a factor. In this area, DC and Baltimore are about 40 min apart, but pay in DC can often be higher than Baltimore. Not saying this isn't something you should inquire about, but just something to keep in mind.

Also - you do need to consider how you approach this. If you simply ask about it, they can just tell you it was a mistake. Then you have to decide if that is the truth or if they're just telling you that. On the other hand, if you want to strong-arm them a bit and ask for what you saw, are you willing to walk away?

Old 11-30-2017, 06:43 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
I didn't see this brought up, but in large organizations with many sites, this may be nothing more than a COLA.

I worked help desk for a defense contractor that had offices in rural southwest Virginia, metro Dallas, and metro Denver at the time. A level 3 tech in Virginia may make as much as a level 1 in Denver or level 2 in Dallas.

Assuming this is normal, I'd definitely discuss it with the management if you can afford to leave if it doesn't go your way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment