Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 05:58 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,848,917 times

Advertisements

IMO the phone call to set up an interview IS part of the interview. If nobody answers, auto fail. Jobs these days have many lined up looking. Call candidate A and he doesn't answer, time to move on to candidate B and on down the line.

Interview set up time so that is my work for the next 1/2, 1, 2 hours. I have a list and by the time I have alloted is over, well sorry you didn't pick up. The only exception would be if I knew of you personally or through a recomendation and really wanted you. But then I would have probably left a message. But choosing from a list of applicants/recumes in which everyone is just words on paper. No answer, time to move to the next one. Sorry you didn't answer the phone.

Same way in my line of work when potential customers try to contact me. If I don't answer, they call the next company. I really can't blame them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 07:44 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,047,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
IMO the phone call to set up an interview IS part of the interview. If nobody answers, auto fail. Jobs these days have many lined up looking. Call candidate A and he doesn't answer, time to move on to candidate B and on down the line.

Interview set up time so that is my work for the next 1/2, 1, 2 hours. I have a list and by the time I have alloted is over, well sorry you didn't pick up. The only exception would be if I knew of you personally or through a recomendation and really wanted you. But then I would have probably left a message. But choosing from a list of applicants/recumes in which everyone is just words on paper. No answer, time to move to the next one. Sorry you didn't answer the phone.

Same way in my line of work when potential customers try to contact me. If I don't answer, they call the next company. I really can't blame them.
In the words of Mugatu (from the movie Zoolander), "I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!!" reading some of these comments...smh

In any "professional" line of work, 90% of all positions are narrowed down to about 5 candidates after sifting through many, many resumes. If a recruiter/manager/secretary, etc. can't take the time to reach out to schedule interviews or/and leave a message during the time allotted which you mentioned in your comment, they need better time management skills or are just lazy and incompetent.

You can justify your way of thinking all you want (as I can justify mine), but your comment about the initial phone call is so far off base it's kind of sad.

Attitudes like this in your comment makes me believe a lot of well qualified candidates missed out on a great employment opportunity just because they were "in the shower" when a recruiter called to schedule the interview of a lifetime and didn't leave a message....smh

Old 11-29-2017, 07:47 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
imo the phone call to set up an interview is part of the interview. If nobody answers, auto fail. Jobs these days have many lined up looking. Call candidate a and he doesn't answer, time to move on to candidate b and on down the line.

Interview set up time so that is my work for the next 1/2, 1, 2 hours. I have a list and by the time i have alloted is over, well sorry you didn't pick up. The only exception would be if i knew of you personally or through a recomendation and really wanted you. But then i would have probably left a message. But choosing from a list of applicants/recumes in which everyone is just words on paper. No answer, time to move to the next one. Sorry you didn't answer the phone.

Same way in my line of work when potential customers try to contact me. If i don't answer, they call the next company. I really can't blame them.
+1.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:00 PM

5,897 posts, read 3,898,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Attitudes like this in your comment makes me believe a lot of well qualified candidates missed out on a great employment opportunity just because they were "in the shower" when a recruiter called to schedule the interview of a lifetime and didn't leave a message....smh
I think this is the exception rather than the rule. Over the years, I've never had anyone who did not leave me a message.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:40 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
If I don't know the number I typically won't pick up and if they don't leave a message then it's not worth my time. I think it's very bizarre that a company who is looking to interview you would not leave a message?? There are a million reasons why one doesn't answer the phone....in the bathroom, at the doctor or dentist, working, changing my kids diaper, etc. And honestly, it's not their business why I didn't answer, leave a message and I will call you back!

Old 11-29-2017, 08:53 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,047,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
If I don't know the number I typically won't pick up and if they don't leave a message then it's not worth my time. I think it's very bizarre that a company who is looking to interview you would not leave a message?? There are a million reasons why one doesn't answer the phone....in the bathroom, at the doctor or dentist, working, changing my kids diaper, etc. And honestly, it's not their business why I didn't answer, leave a message and I will call you back!
If you are actively seeking employment and have put in applications, you should always answer the phone (if available), regardless of the number. But that is your prerogative.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:29 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
There is a reason they do not leave a message. They are busy people, and allocate time to call to set up appointments. They want to talk to you when it is convenient for them, with your file folder in front of them. They are not always ready to discuss anything with you at other times. They do not want you calling back when it is not convenient for them to take the call, and have to hunt up your file folder before being able to talk to you. They are not going to interrupt an interview with another applicant, to talk to you as an example. You are the one that needs the interview not them. So it is your responsibility to have your phone with you when they call, so you can take the call.

They are calling you based on their schedule, not yours. You need them, but they don't need you as there are other applicants that can fill the job in almost all situations. If you want to talk to them, have your phone on, and with you when they call, or they just might hire someone else.

Some say they do not answer calls they do not recognize who is calling, letting the answer machine sort out their calls. If you are expecting a call for potential employment, it is up to you to answer the phone period. Otherwise, someone else may get the call and the job.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:36 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
This happened to me three times within 4 months. I had potential employers call me for a job interview but they did not leave a message. I personally think it's unprofessional.

The first time this happened, the lady called twice, and both times, she did not leave a message. I was away from my phone so I got nothing but missed calls and no voice message. Since I have a phone number that use to belong to a doctor, I naturally assumed it was an old patient of theirs. Then she called for the third time, which I happened to be next to my phone, and picked up. We scheduled an interview the following week. During the interview, one of the first thing she says to me is, "you know, it's not wise to NOT pick up your phone while you're looking for a job. That would tell an employer that you're not serious about work." I replied, "well, I am not glued to my phone all the time. Besides, any employer that wanted to interview me left a message and told it who they were." She apologized and backed down. I ended up getting the job.

Fast forward to today. I am looking for some seasonal work to earn extra money. I applied with this local CPA to be his assistant. I got a miss call, because again, I was away from my phone, but they did not leave a message. I USUALLY don't call back unless they leave a message, but something in my gut told me to call them back and i did. It was that local CPA office responding to my inquiry. But for the love of me, i don't understand why they would not leave a message.

Has this happened to you? IF so, how did you feel? Does this happen more often than I realize?
It happened once or twice to me but if I don't know a number or expect a call, typically it goes to voice-mail because I wont answer. Sometimes I can't. I wont answer a call while at a movie theater or during a meal at all. I'm sorry if you don't realize I eat around 5:30/6:00. How would you like it if I call at your lunch time? Personally if you don't leave a message I don't know the purpose of your missed call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
This exchange is hard to believe.
It does honestly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Yeah, I think the OP's response was rather flip and rude.
I can see that and I wouldn't be that rash. Maybe use it for weighting the offer versus others or waiting for better ones. Well, unless it is a dream job/company...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
There are lots and lots of stupid interviewers out there. I believe it!
Yep I had one who asked "What is your weakness or area you need to improve on?" I replied "communication (referring to an area I need to improve on)" and then a question or two later asked "What skill do I think is important in the job?" Again I replied "communication" since it was sales. The interviewer asked why did I list my biggest weakness as the most important to the job... despite previously asking about an area of improvement I replied that "You asked about a weakness or an area of improvement and I think that we can always improve on communication." I didn't get the job...

Old 11-29-2017, 10:40 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,658,400 times
Quote:
In the words of Mugatu (from the movie Zoolander), "I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!!" reading some of these comments...smh

In any "professional" line of work, 90% of all positions are narrowed down to about 5 candidates after sifting through many, many resumes. If a recruiter/manager/secretary, etc. can't take the time to reach out to schedule interviews or/and leave a message during the time allotted which you mentioned in your comment, they need better time management skills or are just lazy and incompetent.

You can justify your way of thinking all you want (as I can justify mine), but your comment about the initial phone call is so far off base it's kind of sad.

+1

I am shocked at some of these responses. However, this is a public forum and people have different opinions, background and experiences.

But it's funny that potential employers expect their candidates to "keep busy" while they look for a job. And if a candidate is not busy, the employer thinks that the candidate has too much time on their hands and they would deem that candidate as lazy. Yet, if the candidate is not available to answer the employer's phone call and if the employer decides not to leave a simple voice message, it is deemed "you must not want this job that badly."

Old 11-29-2017, 11:24 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
If you are actively seeking employment and have put in applications, you should always answer the phone (if available), regardless of the number. But that is your prerogative.
Unless you know the company's number or the recruiter's number, it could be a personal cell phone or an office line. I've gotten enough scam calls or wrong numbers to know unless I'm expecting a call and I don't recognize a number to let it go to voice mail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment