Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 03:59 PM

162 posts, read 269,770 times

Advertisements

I post a job to indeed and get more than 10 applicants, but when I reply back, I get very few of them continuing on the communication. There must be something wrong with how I am messaging the applicants.

If you posted a job for say, Administrative Assistant, and got applicants, what would your first email be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 04:07 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,471,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santaronto View Post
I post a job to indeed and get more than 10 applicants, but when I reply back, I get very few of them continuing on the communication. There must be something wrong with how I am messaging the applicants.

If you posted a job for say, Administrative Assistant, and got applicants, what would your first email be?
A large chunk of your “applicants” could be bots. This is one of the downsides with our technological world. Botting, trolling, phishing are all methods of disruption in our cyber space.

Keep in mind, I get emailed and called almost on a daily basis from “recruiters” who have positions they are trying to fill for their “clients”. Most of these are short term contract jobs or nothing more than an opportunity to phish for additional information from me.

Moral of the story is that if this is happening to you, many of these might not be real applicants. So, it’s likely not about the message you’re writing to them to express an interest in talking with them. If they are interested, real-life applicants, then they’ll likely respond back.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:29 PM

162 posts, read 269,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
A large chunk of your “applicants” could be bots. This is one of the downsides with our technological world. Botting, trolling, phishing are all methods of disruption in our cyber space.

Keep in mind, I get emailed and called almost on a daily basis from “recruiters” who have positions they are trying to fill for their “clients”. Most of these are short term contract jobs or nothing more than an opportunity to phish for additional information from me.

Moral of the story is that if this is happening to you, many of these might not be real applicants. So, it’s likely not about the message you’re writing to them to express an interest in talking with them. If they are interested, real-life applicants, then they’ll likely respond back.
O ok. Good to know.
Me I just write a short reply like the following:

Good afternoon Georgina.

Thanks for your interest in the opportunity of Marketing manager.
We can do an interview when you have time.

Thank you.

So nothing about this that scares people off? not too short?

Old 11-27-2017, 04:32 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,761,926 times
I think your reply is good. I see now reason to be afraid...Left Handed is probably right.

Old 11-27-2017, 05:00 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,937,893 times
i don't think it's a bad email; however it may be best to call their contact number and say you're interested in speaking with them about their application or suggest some interview dates and times?

It could be that your applicants think your job is a scam - which does happen a lot!

good luck

Old 11-27-2017, 05:36 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,648,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jribe View Post
i don't think it's a bad email; however it may be best to call their contact number and say you're interested in speaking with them about their application or suggest some interview dates and times?

It could be that your applicants think your job is a scam - which does happen a lot!

good luck
+1. I feel like a phone call would be better. I dont know how youre emailing your interested candidates, but alot of emails go to my spam folder.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:02 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,634,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
+1. I feel like a phone call would be better. I dont know how youre emailing your interested candidates, but alot of emails go to my spam folder.
Agreed. I had one friend miss an interview recently because she was getting so many spam emails from recruiters that she missed the legitimate email from the company that wanted to interview her. Apparently it came from a domain of a job search website she had been using and thought it was spam.

There are some people who simply can’t email me as well. It won’t even make it to the spam filter- it does not come to my email at all.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:07 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,648,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Agreed. I had one friend miss an interview recently because she was getting so many spam emails from recruiters that she missed the legitimate email from the company that wanted to interview her. Apparently it came from a domain of a job search website she had been using and thought it was spam.

There are some people who simply can’t email me as well. It won’t even make it to the spam filter- it does not come to my email at all.

I have a funny story. I interviewed with a major tax firm two months ago. She gave me her card and told me to email me once I have my license. When it was time to get my license, i emailed her because I had a question to ask her. I even tried to call her but she did not pick up and her voice mail wasn't set up, so I couldn't leave a voice message. I did not hear back for her for a month....so I applied elsewhere.

Just last week, I got a phone call from her assistant. The assistant told me that they have tried to email me for about a month and they wondered why I wasn't responding. I asked her to repeat the email she has on file on me, and when she repeated it, it was TOTALLY OFF. I gave her the correct one. We laughed it off and she said, "I was wondering why he wasn't responding to our emails." Initially, some other person wanted to send me ANOTHER email to see if I would respond; but instead, her assistant trusted her gut and finally gave me a phone call. (and i picked up)

But what makes the story "funny" is that I have a final interview with them on Tuesday AND I have an interview with a CPA tax firm on Thursday. But since I didn't hear from her, I had to move on. So now I'm stuck.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:37 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,381 posts, read 80,775,059 times
Quote:

We only contact the rejects by email. All of those who will be invited for an interview get a phone call. If no answer we leave a message to call us back, and all of them do, mostly within an hour or less. With email you have the risk of it going to their spam folder, or they may delete it not realizing that it's about a job they applied for if it looks like advertising. I think your message is vague and doesn't sound serious. Whether by email or phone message, instead of "We can do an interview when you have time" I would say something like "Please call me at your earliest convenience to schedule an interview. I'm looking forward to meeting you in person to discuss your qualifications for our position."

Old 11-28-2017, 07:14 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,140,747 times
Quote:
O ok. Good to know.
Me I just write a short reply like the following:

Good afternoon Georgina.

Thanks for your interest in the opportunity of Marketing manager.
We can do an interview when you have time.

Thank you.

So nothing about this that scares people off? not too short?
Most employers tend to do a phone interview, at least a brief screening call, before setting up an in person interview. The last couple of times I've job hunted, people usually sent out an email saying that they wanted to schedule a phone call, the date and time was scheduled via email.

I prefer a scheduled call rather than someone just randomly calling me so I can be prepared and also make sure I have some privacy to take the call. Not too cool to get a call wanting an on the spot phone interview when you are sitting in the middle of a cube farm!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment