Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 10:35 PM

5 posts, read 3,456 times

Advertisements

Anybody have experience in distribution work? It seems to me that every warehouse distribution out there runs on a percentage based performance. Have anyone ever had any success with it? Because this is the 2nd distribution job I have and they seem to push everyone like slaves always unsatisfied with workers performances. While some of my coworkers don't work like with a chicken with it's head cut off, they're still managing to satisfy the performance. I'm over here working as the same pace as them and I get criticized for my performances. Mind you, I get along with everyone else and strive to work hard. I don't stand around with my finger up my butt yet I still manage to get told I'm not doing so well. They've trained me to an extent but I feel like they're hiding something else that I don't know.

Anybody had this experience? I don't know if favoritism plays a role in it or what. But God knows I try. How should I go about in approaching this? Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 10:23 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,736,676 times
Ask your manager what you can do to improve. Ask for specific examples of what you need to work on. Unless it's a personality conflict or they're playing favorites, they should be able to point you to something specific you're doing that needs work.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
Ask your manager what you can do to improve. Ask for specific examples of what you need to work on. Unless it's a personality conflict or they're playing favorites, they should be able to point you to something specific you're doing that needs work.
She thinks I need to work with a sense of urgency. Mind you there's 2 old ladies that work as the same pace like everyone else is and they still manage to satisfy their performance. That's all she could tell me. I feel like there's more to it

Old 11-29-2017, 01:38 PM

881 posts, read 611,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-paz View Post
Anybody have experience in distribution work? It seems to me that every warehouse distribution out there runs on a percentage based performance. Have anyone ever had any success with it? Because this is the 2nd distribution job I have and they seem to push everyone like slaves always unsatisfied with workers performances. While some of my coworkers don't work like with a chicken with it's head cut off, they're still managing to satisfy the performance. I'm over here working as the same pace as them and I get criticized for my performances. Mind you, I get along with everyone else and strive to work hard. I don't stand around with my finger up my butt yet I still manage to get told I'm not doing so well. They've trained me to an extent but I feel like they're hiding something else that I don't know.

Anybody had this experience? I don't know if favoritism plays a role in it or what. But God knows I try. How should I go about in approaching this? Please help!
Check out the current Mother Jones article on this exact industry, where their reporter goes working (and not "undercover," mind you) in some fulfillment center in Somewheresville, U.S.A.

Oh, the irony of slaving away fulfilling (one easily imagines) Barbara Ehrenreich book orders!

Old 11-29-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomelessLoser View Post
Check out the current Mother Jones article on this exact industry, where their reporter goes working (and not "undercover," mind you) in some fulfillment center in Somewheresville, U.S.A.

Oh, the irony of slaving away fulfilling (one easily imagines) Barbara Ehrenreich book orders!
Maybe I should find a different career

Old 11-29-2017, 07:18 PM

7,961 posts, read 4,952,534 times
Its a crappy career as much as you can call it a "career" these day I guess. Been there done that for about 5 years. Most managers are lousy and not qualified for the roles they are in and they play heavy favorites,, most employees are uneducated, unprofessional morons and mostly treated like complete crap by management and worked like dogs. . Its best to stay away from Warehouse Distribution. I have a feeling in the next 15-20 years it will all be automated anyways. There isn't much long term viability there.

I would definitely find a different line of work especially if you are educated, and capable of more-. If you want to be involved in the logistical/distribution side of things, I would find a more white collar position in that field

Old 11-29-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Its a crappy career as much as you can call it a "career" these day I guess. Been there done that for about 5 years. Most managers are lousy and not qualified for the roles they are in and they play heavy favorites,, most employees are uneducated, unprofessional morons and mostly treated like complete crap by management and worked like dogs. . Its best to stay away from Warehouse Distribution. I have a feeling in the next 15-20 years it will all be automated anyways. There isn't much long term viability there.

I would definitely find a different line of work especially if you are educated, and capable of more-. If you want to be involved in the logistical/distribution side of things, I would find a more white collar position in that field
With the location i'm on, the only thing that's booming up here is distribution. With them paying well over 17-19 bucks an hour. While restaurant and costumer service only pays just above minimum wage. It ain't a living wage. Right now I'm just torn.

Old 12-01-2017, 02:02 PM

881 posts, read 611,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-paz View Post
With the location i'm on, the only thing that's booming up here is distribution. With them paying well over 17-19 bucks an hour. While restaurant and costumer service only pays just above minimum wage. It ain't a living wage. Right now I'm just torn.
You do what you have to do in the meantime, but your long-term vision should be some kind of in-demand technical skill-set that's more likely than not to outlast the initial waves of automation....

"Here's luck! in the teeth of all winds blowing!"

Old 12-11-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomelessLoser View Post
You do what you have to do in the meantime, but your long-term vision should be some kind of in-demand technical skill-set that's more likely than not to outlast the initial waves of automation....

"Here's luck! in the teeth of all winds blowing!"
Demand technical?

Old 12-11-2017, 08:03 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,004,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Its a crappy career as much as you can call it a "career" these day I guess. Been there done that for about 5 years.
This is your career experience?! Is that all you have done?

That certainly doesn’t make you qualified to talk about corporate America, as this is a very tiny niche known for not being worker friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment