Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2017, 07:41 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,599,865 times

Advertisements

I've been trying to google and compare the two, but the more I look, the more they look like the same job, except occupational therapists get paid a little more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 07:51 AM

674 posts, read 607,908 times
Google again. The two have very little overlap.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:56 AM

4 posts, read 4,559 times
OT is generally done for rehab. Medical. SW is not medical at all. The only overlap is working with the public. With social work the main focus is more community based, not medical, usually not clinical (unless LCSW). As suggested you really should look again.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:03 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,266,362 times
OTs help clients overcome physical/medial related barriers. A client may see a social worker and an OT, but they do not so the same job.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:44 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,294,457 times
They are most definitely not the same job.

An OT helps people with physical limitations regain their ability to do the most basic of life skills - brushing their teeth, getting dressed, washing dishes, taking a shower. The goal is enabling the patient to be able to live some semblance of a normal life after a physical/medical hardship.

Social workers help people in rough situations find resources that can help them. Their clients may be impoverished, in abusive situations, or suffering from addiction or mental illness. The SW provides counseling as well as identifies resources within the local community (counseling services, shelters, etc) that can provide aid.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:44 PM

119 posts, read 68,416 times
Watch a some career overview videos on YouTube about these careers. Google "career overview occupational therapist," for instance.

Main differences I see are that as an OC you work with someone's body. You may have to do toileting. (You likely won't have to has a physical therapist or PTA). As a social worker you work for the government and it is more if a sitting/desk job and is quite paperwork heavy. You will likely meet clients onsite or if they come to your location, though. Since you will likely be working for the government, you will likely be assigned to help immigrants/invaders who come to you country, whether or not you really want to do so. They are assigned to your caseload. OC is part of the healthcare field; SW is not.

Old 12-06-2017, 05:33 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,424,154 times
They aren't anything alike. I'm an OT. I work in a nursing home rehab department. We have to lift people, teach them how to get dressed again after a hip fracture, teach them to be able to step over the tub to take a shower, build up standing tolerance so they can cook a meal when they get home, work on strengthening, and teach compensatory techniques and how to properly use equipment, as well as train family members how to transfer the patient and care for them.

Social workers do not do any rehab. They plan discharges, set up the home care services, deal with insurance, problem solve when we get a patient who doesn't have a safe place to go home to, deal with telling family members and patients when rehab feels the person isn't mobile enough to go home, help families apply for Medicaid if their loved one has to stay long term, things like that. They also deal with day to day issues, such as a patient complaining about a theft, or a roommate who keeps the room too cold.
It can often be very stressful, as family members get upset when patient's get cut from therapy and the family doesn't think they're ready to go home yet, and we have also had instances where we felt a patient's spouse might be abusive, which would be the social worker's domain to deal with. There can be a lot of conflict.

So physically OT is much more demanding, and it's also a "dirty hands" type job, when we take patient's to the bathroom during therapy, we often have to clean them up. Social workers are hands-off. Our social worker is at her desk doing paperwork for the most part when she's not in meetings.

In my experience, therapy of any type is much better paying than social work, and there are more jobs. We have one social worker in the home where I work, but have 4 OT's and 3 OT assistants (2 year degree) full time, and several other part-timers who work weekends or help when we're busy. On the other hand, you could do social work much longer, while at 55 I don't know how much longer I can lift obese people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment