Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 05:23 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,002,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian75 View Post
A coworker is sometimes on personal calls for hours throughout the day. A supervisor who is also my friend tells me about it (different dept) but hasn’t done anything. She is on the work phone sometimes for 3 hours talking while placing orders and answering emails. She thinks it is ok because she is still getting her work done. I personally think you should not be on personal calls during company time for that long and almost everyday. Sometimes she walks around the office talking if she needs to go the bathroom or kitchen etc....
Also, how does someone have that much to talk about?

No, it's not ok. You're not being to paid to chat with family and friends, you're being paid to work. You can chat on your break or lunch.

Your friends needs to issue a PIP and work her way to termination. Unless she nips this now, it won't stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 06:55 AM

407 posts, read 369,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian75 View Post
A coworker is sometimes on personal calls for hours throughout the day. A supervisor who is also my friend tells me about it (different dept) but hasn’t done anything. She is on the work phone sometimes for 3 hours talking while placing orders and answering emails. She thinks it is ok because she is still getting her work done. I personally think you should not be on personal calls during company time for that long and almost everyday. Sometimes she walks around the office talking if she needs to go the bathroom or kitchen etc....
Also, how does someone have that much to talk about?
Why in the world hasn't your friend done something about it? That's ridiculous.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:34 AM

42 posts, read 41,055 times
Now the work gets done. Soon enough though, it won't.

Old 12-01-2017, 08:01 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,516,043 times
NO not happening here either.

If you are here, I'm paying for your time, which doesn't include surfing the internet or long phone calls.

Old 12-01-2017, 08:14 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,117,053 times
Default Lame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Just what we need, another busy body worrying about others when they need to mind their own business.

If it doesn't directly affect you, then either MYOB or find another job if it's going to stress you out that much.

The fact that the supervisor hasn't done anything is clue enough you need to let it go.
I bet you don't get any work done, do you?

Old 12-01-2017, 08:30 AM

189 posts, read 172,179 times
As of right now she has been talking for an hour and a half according to someone who sits near her. She talks low but I can hear her when she is laughing. I start to think she has to be BSing some of her work. Not the ordering placing but she has to call vendors to get tracking #’s etc....how does she do that if she is on personal calls most of the day?

Old 12-01-2017, 09:08 AM

10,608 posts, read 12,113,548 times
I'm curious......ask your friend -- who is this other worker's supervisor -- what SHE plans to do about it.
I'd love to know what she says.

Sounds to me like your friend, the supervisor, isn't doing HER job.

All kinds of policies could be implemented that might cut down on the worker's non job chit-chat. But that would entail your friend doing more work. (and making sure any changes affect all employees so the chatter box isn't singled out)

-- this worker is supposed to call vendors or clients? Require a time log for all calls -- time placed, length of call, matter discussed, result of conversation.

Then follow up with vendors to make sure these calls were made (IF you need a reason as is the client is wondering why you're following up just say it's a new customer service or quality control effort -- or you're reviewing workflow, whatever. You probably won't even be asked about it)

Chatty Cathy's chit-chat is likely going to mean more reporting duties for others also. But, it's NOT new -- that in many places ONE person ruins the whole job situation for others.....all because they push things too far, and can't be reasonable with their non-work activities AT work.

I'm sure we responsible, inteligent adults all know -- that IF you keep you non-work activities to a reasonable level -- most times you'd be surprised how much you can get away with NOT doing. But there's a line and some people just don't know NOT to cross it. And they ruin the entire situation for everyone.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:25 AM

407 posts, read 369,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

This. The employee is doing it because she can. Your friend has no right to be "annoyed" at this point. Should have been nipped in the bud a while ago.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:29 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,369,714 times
3 hours is excessive for a personal call at work. Where I used to work, a 10 minute personal call would have been noticed by someone. How does the person get away with it?

I would not tattle on the person, though. That could backfire in many ways. Best to let it go and see what happens.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:43 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,009,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I'm curious......ask your friend -- who is this other worker's supervisor -- what SHE plans to do about it.
I'd love to know what she says.

All kinds of policies could be implemented that might cut down on the worker's non job chit-chat. But that would entail your friend doing more work. (and making sure any changes affect all employees so the chatter box isn't singled out)

-- this worker is supposed to call vendors or clients? Require a time log for all calls -- time placed, length of call, matter discussed, result of conversation.

Then follow up with vendors to make sure these calls were made (IF you need a reason as is the client is wondering why you're following up just say it's a new customer service or quality control effort -- or you're reviewing workflow, whatever. You probably won't even be asked about it)

Chatty Cathy's chit-chat is likely going to mean more reporting duties for others also. But, it's NOT new -- that in many places ONE person ruins the whole job situation for others.....all because they push things too far, and can't be reasonable with their non-work activities AT work.

I'm sure we responsible, inteligent adults all know -- that IF you keep you non-work activities to a reasonable level -- most times you'd be surprised how much you can get away with NOT doing. But there's a line and some people just don't know NOT to cross it. And they ruin the entire situation for everyone.

I've never understood this. If she is on three-hour personal calls, what's wrong with singling her out? I see this in my office all the time.

Last week, a co-worker worked from home without clearing it with the manager. So, she doesn't say anything to him directly. She sends an email to the entire team reminding them to get clearance before working from home. Everyone knew who it was for, so what's the point?

Going through this whole rigmarole to spare the feelings of the lazy chatterbox. Or is it due to managers who don't have the stones to call someone out on their BS? I don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment