Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2017, 08:17 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,841,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
quote:
Some people are busy....or bad cooks. Isnt the nature of a pot luck to all come together and share a meal, not to have to prove something?

busy cooks and bad cooks have no right to participate in potlucks then. what's the point?

I realize I come across as a terrible person thinking this, but really... it's other worse people who are worse.
If you think bringing chips or flatware to a potluck makes someone a bad person then you are going to be disappointed with the human race.

Sorry you got a candy cane...but dude...maybe they pulled your name and they just don't like you or your attitude and figure nothing was going to please you. That's they vibe I am getting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 08:58 AM

554 posts, read 620,937 times
I think you should be upset. A candy cane! That's why I stopped participating in Secret Santa years ago. I would always try to get my person nice gifts and I would get thoughtless gifts. One year I actually got a pack of barettes. And they were not barettes they were little kid hair bows. I as a grown woman would not wear little kid hair bows and I don't have a young daughter either.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:58 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,248,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
If you think bringing chips or flatware to a potluck makes someone a bad person then you are going to be disappointed with the human race.

Sorry you got a candy cane...but dude...maybe they pulled your name and they just don't like you or your attitude and figure nothing was going to please you. That's they vibe I am getting.
Everyone knows you don't get to choose who you get with secret santa. If you can't be civil and/or are cheap or cant afford it, don't play along.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:04 AM

1,326 posts, read 1,133,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
So no one can disagree with the OP? And for the record my issue is with how the OP handled it and how immature they are acting about work functions in gemeral.

But go ahead and assume that because someone dares to disagree they must be guilty of the same thing.
Where did I say you can't have a different opinion? I know how I would've handled it because I had it happen to me one year. You can disagree with how the OP handled it but the fact is that there was a set $ amount, that everyone who participated agreed upon, to spend on it.

The candy cane giver expected a $20 gift but gave a $2 gift. That is not ok in this situation. And why wouldn't I wonder if someone would do the same if they posted that they think that's ok?

Old 12-11-2017, 09:07 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,651,445 times
Again, we see that "Secret Santa" doesn't work. It didn't work years ago and can see it still is not working. It should be abolished. Can no one come up with anything better?

Old 12-11-2017, 09:10 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,261,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
Where did I say you can't have a different opinion? I know how I would've handled it because I had it happen to me one year. You can disagree with how the OP handled it but the fact is that there was a set $ amount, that everyone who participated agreed upon, to spend on it.

The candy cane giver expected a $20 gift but gave a $2 gift. That is not ok in this situation. And why wouldn't I wonder if someone would do the same if they posted that they think that's ok?
I do not see one post in this thread that said that the what the gift giver did was ok. Not one.

The OP is a whiner, complainer, and does not come across as very mature in their posts.

Frankly, I would have been pissed if I had gotten his name, as he doesn't seem to be the type of person that people want to work with. The candy cane sent that message loud and clear.

This is trivial, really, and the fact that the OP is this worried about something that is so small in the grand scheme of things is very sad.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:12 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,261,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
Again, we see that "Secret Santa" doesn't work. It didn't work years ago and can see it still is not working. It should be abolished. Can no one come up with anything better?

Yes, giving gifts only to those that you like/ know.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post

It can work. There needs to be a master list of who buys for who- usually a boss takes cares of it. People usually put 3 things on their tag/ticket of things they like.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:16 AM

12,769 posts, read 18,312,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
I realize Secret Santa is something that most people loathe, but my office generally enjoys it and people get each other nice stuff. The limit is 20 bux or so. Today I found my gift at my desk and it was...

a candy cane

a CANDY CANE!

I thought it was one person, who it turned out not being... I was complaining (in a joking way) to a number of other coworkers without realizing the person who was my secret santa was in earshot. Then another person told me that when I was at lunch everyone in my area was talking about upset I was with my gift. Am I being a brat? To be fair, most years my work secret santa gift is the ONLY gift I get because I don't have a family (they are all dead and everyone I work with knows this) and my friends are poor and don't live near me.

I feel bad the person found out that I was complaining and saying what a crappy gift that was. A candy cane. A CANDY CANE! I even went online and looked up this candy cane and they cost 2 dollars. I was offended and even worse I feel bad I complained so much about it, but them i'm like how rude of a gift. Why bother participating (it's not mandatory and it's not even suggested). Over the years I have gotten so many great amazing things that I cherished, but this year i'm just angry about it. Moreso sad I guess.

Anyone else get a crappy secret santa gift this year?
I once got a 'pregnancy exercise DVD'... I was 23 @ the time and not married nor pregnant. Now I am 36 and I don't have children. That would not have been something useful for me, like ever... plus it's just a weird gift when people participating are of all ages & genders. Imagine if a man got it or like a really old woman. Just strange.

My biggest issue with Secret Santas is that some people really take the time to go out and get a nice gift for someone and then some people 'half-ass' it and just give something they already have in their house or they re-gift or get the cheapest, crappiest gift possible.

The year I got the pregnancy exercise DVD I bought a $25 Starbucks giftcard for someone, which I think is something people actually want. Then I got... that DVD.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I once got a 'pregnancy exercise DVD'... I was 23 @ the time and not married nor pregnant. Now I am 36 and I don't have children. That would not have been something useful for me, like ever... plus it's just a weird gift when people participating are of all ages & genders. Imagine if a man got it or like a really old woman. Just strange.

My biggest issue with Secret Santas is that some people really take the time to go out and get a nice gift for someone and then some people 'half-ass' it and just give something they already have in their house or they re-gift or get the cheapest, crappiest gift possible.

The year I got the pregnancy exercise DVD I bought a $25 Starbucks giftcard for someone, which I think is something people actually want. Then I got... that DVD.
Was it a white elephant gift exchange? With that one funny, weird etc. gifts are more acceptable.

Last year my husband got a glass votive candle holder with the company name on it. We still have it sitting in the box in our laundry room. I told him he should re-wrap that thing and use it for the WE gift exchange. He wont/cant do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment