Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 11:11 AM

6,916 posts, read 3,909,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
The past few years I have noticed a lot of "What difference does it make as long as I get my work done." It has already been posted as a response a couple of times in this thread. It is part of the self entitled attitude these days and typically goes hand in hand with the "it is my cell phone and you can't tell me when I can be on it."

It all boils down to work ethic. There seems to be a lack of it lately, especially with those under the age of 25 but it seems the immaturity is lasting into their 30's more and more.

The day will come when they are still sitting at the same job wondering why the guy that used to the in the cube next to them that was always there banging the work out when they came dragging in a 8:30, has been promoted a couple of times to supervisor and then manager or now owns their own business. I have friends like that and they just can't figure out why they are getting passed over for promotions. All I can say is thanks for making it easy for us to kick your ass every day. lol
ITA. Is the guy who owns the company I work for strict? Yup. Does he expect us all to be onsite at our start times and not leave until the clock reads our end time unless we have a VALID reason? Yup. But we also work for a 94 year old business that's set the standard for steel companies in my area, and he is generous with the benefits we employees receive. That's why we have people who have been here 30-40+ years. I'm halfway through my 16th year myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 11:58 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,547,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
It all boils down to work ethic. There seems to be a lack of it lately, especially with those under the age of 25 but it seems the immaturity is lasting into their 30's more and more.
What does it have to do with work ethic or immaturity? I'm responsible for getting certain tasks done at certain times not warming a chair for a set period of hours. I have that responsibility because I've demonstrated maturity and work ethnic for decades. If I have to work late or come in early for a couple of weeks, that's what I do. If I'm not having a busy week and somebody whose job requires them to be on time feels slighted that I roll in at 8:30 instead of 8:00, that's not my problem. I didn't spend years building skills so I had to punch a clock like I'm in Burger King.

Old 12-15-2017, 12:05 PM

7,937 posts, read 4,931,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
What an absurd proposition. This depends entirely on the nature of the work. There are many functions/departments that need to be running at 100% at a specific time because somebody else needs them to be, whether it's customers or another part of the business.
Agreed it does depend on the nature of the work. But for the most part (at least in corporate America) , you shouldn't be required to be sitting at your desk on the dot and be monitored like a child if you have to get up and go "wee wee" especially if you have demonstrated reliable and trustworthy and get the dang job done.

If you're 15-30 mins late.. BIG DEAL. Unless there is some mandatory meeting first thing in the morning. Treating adults like school children isn't going to do anyone any favors.

Oh... And does anyone monitor the corporate big wigs all day? These goofs out getting their 9 holes or out to various "meetings" aka. Hobnobbing on company time and doing god knows what else. Its funny, I don't see the same accountability applied to them ever. Any metrics and results they are being counted on for today? Who knows..

But thats corporate America for you.. Double Standards all over

We need to quit looking at the bottom of the totem poles already and start looking for accountability HIGHER.

Its never ceases to amaze me in this backwards freaking society that people with more responsibility seem to be held LESS Accountable now. Oh lets make sure the janitor is at the toilet on time in the morning to clean the turds out though Or make sure theres an adequate supply of toilet paper on hand by 8 am on the dot OR ELSE. The big wigs up the food chain? " Oh they'll be in after their morning 9 holes" however

... Just as long as have toilet paper. Thats all that matters. The Corporate Managers? We don't know where they are.

Last edited by DorianRo; 12-15-2017 at 12:20 PM..

Old 12-15-2017, 12:56 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,151,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian75 View Post
Maybe I’m old school (I’m 43) but hours at our company for most people are 8 to 5. I’m usually at my desk by 7:45. Already got my coffee and water etc....coworkers filter in around 8:15. Then go down to cafeteria to get coffee and or breakfast. Maybe talk for a bit and still leave at 5. It’s not my business obviously since I’m not the supervisor but I just wonder if you have noticed these changes in recent years? When I was in my 20’s I was usually on time as were all my coworkers and if we weren’t we stayed later to make it up (regardless if we were salary or hourly) and in some companies there were penalties for being late. It just seems like people feel more entitled now? I’m not sure. Our dept is extremely busy and most people complain how they are so behind. Well if they are late, spending so much time socializing, what do they expect?
Stop worrying about what your coworkers are doing unless it's impeding you from finishing your work. I don't work by the hour, I work by the task. I'm salaried and my work is doled out to me in three-week chunks. If I have to stay late 1-2 days one week or log in from home from time to time, so be it. If I leave 30 minutes early a time or two in that three week period, so be it. And if I'm out half the day at a doctor appointment, I don't make up the time. Why? Because I got my work done anyway.

(Full disclosure: I'm 42.)

Old 12-15-2017, 01:14 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,795,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
What does it have to do with work ethic or immaturity? I'm responsible for getting certain tasks done at certain times not warming a chair for a set period of hours. I have that responsibility because I've demonstrated maturity and work ethnic for decades. If I have to work late or come in early for a couple of weeks, that's what I do. If I'm not having a busy week and somebody whose job requires them to be on time feels slighted that I roll in at 8:30 instead of 8:00, that's not my problem. I didn't spend years building skills so I had to punch a clock like I'm in Burger King.
While it depends heavily on the exact nature of your job (whether professional or low-wage), I think this is the most true answer here! I remember when I started my first professional library job, and asked my boss about break policies/times - she was like "we don't punch time clocks; if you need a break, you take a break!" Of course you need to put in a certain number of hours and not slack, but we aren't expected to account for every second of the day.

On that note: Today I was scheduled to start at 10:30am, and I showed up at 10:40 (had a bad night of sleep + traffic). I mumbled "sorry" to my supervisor as I passed her on the way in, to which she mumbled back "no prob." That was the extent of it, lol.

Old 12-15-2017, 02:20 PM

20,699 posts, read 19,851,784 times
It is the norm now, I notice that, too. I am 41.

When I was an intern, I got told if you show up at 8am, you are actually late because until you got your coffe, computer turned on and coat taken off, it is 8:15pm.

I was taught to be at work 10-15 min early and start working at 8am. And that's how I will do it until I get rich and quit my job. haha.

Old 12-15-2017, 02:20 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,259,012 times
The status quo on the Work and Employment forum is:

"It's none of your business".

People do not seem to understand that when you work around/with other people, everything that they do impacts you in some way. The person who is constantly absent (whether actually out of the office, or away from their desk), is your business if it's a co-worker.

I don't know why most people don't get that.

And hourly employees are paid to actually work, so time spent not working is stealing from the company, no?

Old 12-15-2017, 02:22 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,259,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
While it depends heavily on the exact nature of your job (whether professional or low-wage), I think this is the most true answer here! I remember when I started my first professional library job, and asked my boss about break policies/times - she was like "we don't punch time clocks; if you need a break, you take a break!" Of course you need to put in a certain number of hours and not slack, but we aren't expected to account for every second of the day.

On that note: Today I was scheduled to start at 10:30am, and I showed up at 10:40 (had a bad night of sleep + traffic). I mumbled "sorry" to my supervisor as I passed her on the way in, to which she mumbled back "no prob." That was the extent of it, lol.
LOL

There is a wide range between 'professional' and 'low-wage'. The heck?

Old 12-15-2017, 02:29 PM

6,916 posts, read 3,909,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post

If you're 15-30 mins late.. BIG DEAL.
Wow, you would never last a day where I work. We're not shy about firing people who have chronic attendance issues. When one person is missing in any department everyone else has to pick up their slack.

Old 12-15-2017, 02:36 PM

921 posts, read 522,675 times
Now, let me get this straight. Other threads are talking that people are over worked and can't make a living. Then this thread comes up and people are fine with being late, passive, don't care, "I did what I had to do", etc. And in business we all know nothing every comes up spur of the moment.

I find that very interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment