Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 05:55 PM

4,559 posts, read 1,435,673 times

Advertisements

There s a special place in hell for the employer who terminates employees right in the middle of Hanukkah, or two weeks before Christmas.

I m not talking about retailers who give a basic heads up around Black Friday of what the employment prospects are for the Holidays.

I m talking about the employer ,for whom the employee worked for years and made millions of dollars for, $$ that will continue to roll in long after said worker is gone.

Literally (well not physically) throwing a family of 5 out into the snow ...one day earning 150K salary, benefits... to ZERO in two weeks.

For anyone considering a career in the television business, consider this WILL happen to you at least once.

Sick of the one way loyalty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2017, 06:01 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,415,863 times
New World Order... though not so new anymore.

Making 150k/year and you're now "out in the snow"? Sounds like someone was living beyond their means and not planning for the rainy days that are Always ahead.

Old 12-16-2017, 06:03 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,128,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Making 150k/year and you're now "out in the snow"? Sounds like someone was living beyond their means and not planning for the rainy days that are Always ahead.
This is the point of interest here.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:09 PM

4,955 posts, read 2,707,872 times
Loyalty is always one way in the corporate world. Employees are to be used and exploited until they are not needed. Then out the door they go.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:39 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,374,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
There s a special place in hell for the employer who terminates employees right in the middle of Hanukkah, or two weeks before Christmas.

I m not talking about retailers who give a basic heads up around Black Friday of what the employment prospects are for the Holidays.

I m talking about the employer ,for whom the employee worked for years and made millions of dollars for, $$ that will continue to roll in long after said worker is gone.

Literally (well not physically) throwing a family of 5 out into the snow ...one day earning 150K salary, benefits... to ZERO in two weeks.
I agree, but I also feel sorry for the employee who has only worked there for a short time. It's hard to be thrown out on the street with no prior notice. Same goes for people who work contract and temp.

If someone has earned 150K a year, hopefully they have saved and invested all those years so that unemployment won't be an immediate financial disaster.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:47 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,809,458 times
One should not expect special consideration of religion in a business relationship. This is no better/worse than terminating someone during Halloween or Valentines day. At $150k/yr, you aren't financially strapped unless you've only been at that level for a short while and you've been careless.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:54 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,131,933 times
That happened at one of our local TV stations and another station went completely out of business last year right after Christmas. It seems like that is common in that industry, and one of the risks of working there that people should be aware of and plan for. It seems like most of the on-air talent laid off turns up soon after at another station.

Old 12-16-2017, 08:15 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,374,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
. At $150k/yr, you aren't financially strapped unless you've only been at that level for a short while and you've been careless.
I agree, pretty much what I said. Anyone earning that level of salary every year, on a long term basis, should have invested wisely. If they didn't, I absolutely don't feel sorry for them.

Old 12-16-2017, 08:24 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,984,909 times
They’re all scum of the earth. It’s best not to be in corporate America. Sociopaths have free reign and you aren’t protected from their psychopathy like years ago when there was union protection and worker rights.

Old 12-16-2017, 08:30 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,379,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post

For anyone considering a career in the television business, consider this WILL happen to you at least once.

Sick of the one way loyalty.
I'm sorry if this has happened to you. I hope you find new work quickly and have a happy holiday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment