Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 01:38 PM

9,374 posts, read 8,342,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Make a donation on their behalf to the Human Fund.

The Human Fund | Festivusweb.com | Seinfeld Festivus
Haha, always a favorite of mine. Happy Festivus!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 04:18 PM

923 posts, read 525,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
I am a team manager and have customarily given $20-25 gift cards to my employees for Xmas (Starbucks or Amazon). My team this year is much larger, so it would be a lot more financially for me to do this. Would it be bad form this year to not give a gift card, but instead provide everyone an E-Card?
In my opinion, it's very impersonal. I'd say that a phone call to each one telling them Merry Christmas and say your sorry that the budget doesn't allow for gifts this year is much better.

If it's that close of contact.

Instead of giving to the local grocery store this year(for people who need money for food, small town), I gave my guys the extra as they have had some hard times as of late. Brought each one into my office, talked to them about their life and family, and gave them their Christmas gift. All were men, and all thanked me for caring about their life and family. Two of them said it was the talk that meant more than the gift, one was in here for an hour. LOL He UNLOADED some personal stuff that I had no idea of.

Long story even longer, simple gift of caring means more than you think. Think outside the box.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:45 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Get bath and body works hand sanitizer. That's what I did this year.
In an update, everyone I gave one to loved them. This time of year they are 1.20 each if you buy intervals of 5. I even had most grabbag it. I gave two specifics to specific co-workers based on their tastes...

Old 12-22-2017, 07:11 AM

35 posts, read 43,312 times
I say continue with the same gift cards just decrease the amount. Keep the same budget. They probably won't remember how much it was last year.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:57 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,245,302 times
For a boss you don't like or an employee you're ready to can, get them "The Clapper" sound activated off-on switch, or a "Chia Pet."

Old 12-22-2017, 09:03 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,263,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
For a boss you don't like or an employee you're ready to can, get them "The Clapper" sound activated off-on switch, or a "Chia Pet."

I don't gift "up". I got a couple of "holiday" presents...caramel popcorn and whatnot...from a couple of people. Actually one didn't have a tag on it so I have no idea who it's from.

I don't give cards or gifts but I do contribute to holiday potlucks, chip in for charity stuff, maybe bring some nice candy or cookies one day...y'know. That kind of thing. If there's an organized gift exchange of some kind and people put pressure on me to do it, then I usually do; it's all in good fun anyway. But I'd prefer not to.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:24 PM

323 posts, read 218,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
In this day and age of snowflakey political correctness, you may end up in front of HR because someone's religion forbids gambling and people get butthurt over it.
I highly doubt someone would complain about a mealsey scratch card...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment