Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2017, 09:17 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times

Advertisements

I have a weird situation, and while obviously "you don't know until you know," maybe hearing some unbiased opinions will stop me from pontificating too hard.

I'm currently employed but looking to relocate, so I've been applying for public librarian jobs in desirable areas. Finally the NUMBER ONE location on my list announced recruitments, one for a management-level position, and the other for a more "journey-level" librarian in youth or teen services. I applied for both the management job and the TEEN services job; got a Skype interview for the management one, followed by an in-person interview which I thought went great. Fast-forward two weeks, and I still haven't heard a yes or no - but then yesterday I got an email, inviting me to Skype interview for an ADULT services position. Since I'd only applied for teen, I was a little confused! I went to the original job listing, and they've since added in parenthesis [there are also current openings in adult and branch services].

Now, to be honest, I'd rather work in adult or branch services anyway... I'm kinda burnt out on the teen services work, and management might be too much responsibility for me right now. So I very happily accepted the interview, which will be on January 3rd, followed by another one in person if I make it that far. Do you think this is a good sign, considering they've already interviewed me FOUR times (previous listings as well) now, including one in-person meeting? They can't just offer me a different position without going through the whole process again, since it's a city/government job, and these procedures are required. So I figure if they're inviting me yet again, it means they think I'm a good fit for the library, and maybe were just waiting for the RIGHT job for me.

It's kind of weird, though, how they didn't add adult/branch until after I'd gone through interviews for the management job. Good timing with people leaving around then, or is it possible they added these positions after the fact? Either way, I just wish I knew what they were thinking about me! And does this mean I can assume I didn't get the management position? Argh, I hate the waiting game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 09:27 PM

P.S. I just noticed there's a "Job Search" board now, so mods feel free to move this (if you think it belongs there).

Old 12-21-2017, 09:35 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,699,503 times
I have little experience with government jobs, but my gut reaction is that the job you originally interviewed for has another candidate they prefer and they are just waiting to confirm the hire. However, they were impressed with you and want you on their team.
As for the timing, they could have had the job just open up, or they may have had to wait for someone to sign off on the position.
Good luck

Old 12-21-2017, 09:56 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,682 times
I noticed that no responses for a few weeks is common in December. The recruiters will right back on their phones in January hitting you up to come in.

December is a really slow time, due to the close of the budget year and decision makers using up their vacation. The position may not be posted on the website, if the position is slotted for the next budget year.

Lots of new jobs open up in January, I encourage all my friends and family to search at this time to get first crack. Things move fastest in the first half of the year. If they wait too long and start applying in the fall, they wonder why nobody calls them.

Old 12-22-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
I have little experience with government jobs, but my gut reaction is that the job you originally interviewed for has another candidate they prefer and they are just waiting to confirm the hire. However, they were impressed with you and want you on their team.
That's kind of what I figured. With government jobs, they HAVE to go through the official hiring/interview process for every "open recruitment" (meaning one they're not filling internally) - regardless of whether they already know the perfect candidate. Also, if someone interviews for multiple positions, the hiring managers have to make their decisions/offers in order of the interview dates. I didn't hear back from my current job for about 2 weeks, even though they decided within a couple of days, because I had interviewed for another position a week prior. Once that other manager offered it to someone else (and they accepted), only THEN could my now-current supervisor extend the offer to me. Silly red tape, lol.

So yeah, it would make sense that they're waiting to confirm another candidate's offer before rejecting me - or offering it to me, if they said no and I was next in line. Either way, thanks for the boost of confidence, as I was hoping the additional interview meant "we really DO like you!"

Old 12-22-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
I noticed that no responses for a few weeks is common in December. The recruiters will right back on their phones in January hitting you up to come in.

December is a really slow time, due to the close of the budget year and decision makers using up their vacation. The position may not be posted on the website, if the position is slotted for the next budget year.

Lots of new jobs open up in January, I encourage all my friends and family to search at this time to get first crack. Things move fastest in the first half of the year. If they wait too long and start applying in the fall, they wonder why nobody calls them.
Yeah, I was wondering if I'd hear back before the New Year! The government hiring process tends to move pretty fast, once the applications have been reviewed - but timing interviews for right in the middle of "holiday season" wasn't the smartest plan. We're operating at about half-staff in my current library this week.

That being said, I did confirm my Skype interview (for that new position) for January 3rd, and job start date is projected as March 1st. That would actually be perfect, giving me just enough time to tie up my loose ends here, and get relocated without having to RUSH up there. The other (management) position starts "as soon as possible," which was making me a little anxious.

Old 01-03-2018, 12:21 PM

FYI: I did end up hearing from the other manager on Christmas Eve (we were both working that day, lol) - and while I didn't get the management position, she did say some very nice things! She said "We didn't make this decision lightly" and "You were wonderful; I encourage you to apply for any future opportunities with us." A little more than just the "thanks but no thanks," huh? My interview for their other position is today @ 2:40pm, so wish me luck.

Funny thing is, I'm planning to use my current boss's office to conduct my Skype interview, since it's the only place where nobody will disturb me. She knows about the interview/s and is supportive, because that's how us government workers roll. Really, it's the fact that none of us work for each other (we ALL work for the county), nor is there any financial impact to my potentially leaving. In fact they'd probably save money with my replacement, since I'm at the highest possible salary for the classification. Anyway, I really really hope I get this!!!

Old 01-04-2018, 07:01 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,682 times
While disappointing that you were turned down, I am happy that you still have a chance at a new job.

January is a definitely a time of opportunity with new budget years. Get in, while the money is there. Hiring can dry up quickly, if the 1st quarter numbers are a disappointment.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:12 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,138,002 times
I've noticed more bait & switch going on with positions posted on indeed. Companies are out fishing this season ~ when you interview, keep track of what's said & take notes during the interview ~ job market is open these days for job seekers & companies have changed their lures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment