Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 12:50 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,234,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
Facts. Employees have a right to look out for themselves just as the employer does.

That's right. But for some mysterious reason... so many of us live life as if there is no tomorrow. Or yesterday. Just living for the moment. Expecting the world to stop in orbit for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 01:42 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
Didnt we have a lengthy discussion about this a few months ago? Not enough employees are applying due to the low unemployment rate.
No, not enough employees are due to lack of competitive compensation.

I assure you, a blueberry farmer will have thousands of applicants if he was offering $250,000/yr to pick blueberries. Walmart will have thousands of applicants if they were offering $100/hr to be a cashier.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:33 PM

12,846 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Quote:
Didnt we have a lengthy discussion about this a few months ago? Not enough employees are applying due to the low unemployment rate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Open a business and see how long you last with your money at stake.

I was a very generous liberal, then I opened a business and got dope slapped by reality.
Liberal vs conservative has nothing to do with this. In fact it's really a very Libertarian concept. Simple supply and demand. If the demand for employees is higher than the supply, then wages/benefits should go up. Low unemployment rate should be driving incomes up.

Unless there is some outside forcing function acting to keep wages down. Illegal immigration for one. H1B for another. Slave wages in China and some other countries.

Old 12-28-2017, 04:35 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,312,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
You act like employers share NONE of the blame. If you offer wages below market value and treat your employees like crap, don't stand back and point the finger at them when nobody will work for you. Like I said it works both ways, blame doesn't solely rest on the employee or employer, both must take responsibility.

But this is America, so holding employers accountable for their actions is seen as a joke. It's always the lazy employees fault, right?
This is the crux of the matter.

People act like it's all the (potential) employees fault for doing what they do.

Maybe, just maybe, companies do some things that could be called into question.

Old 12-28-2017, 04:40 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,811,388 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post

I assure you, a blueberry farmer will have thousands of applicants if he was offering $250,000/yr to pick blueberries. Walmart will have thousands of applicants if they were offering $100/hr to be a cashier.
Ah, so glad to see that some people around here understand basic economics.

Old 12-28-2017, 05:29 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,257,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post

Finally, we get to the heart of the matter. Unfortunately, those who have never owned a business and and therefore haven’t lived the stress of making a profit believe the answer is always to raise wages. As I’ve said before on here unless you’ve lived it, it’s very easy to say what should be done with someone else’s money.

Whether you’re making widgets or cars does not matter. The only thing that matters is the bottom line. If you aren’t selling a product for a price people can afford, you won’t be in business for long. The price of that product reflects the total cost of doing business, including wages and benefits,taxes and insurance,workers Comp,and a dozen other fixed costs. Every time one of those costs increases the business owner has to either absorb those increases, or pass them along to the customer in the form of higher prices.

What I’m trying get to is the fact that depending on the business and the products it makes, there may be a very good reason for lower wages. Remember, the consumer has the final say in how much it will spend on a product. To assume the companies are unethical monsters whose sole purpose is to screw the little guy is asinine.

Oh, and I have helped create a $700 Million dollar budget, so I do know just a bit about the subject matter.

Old 12-28-2017, 05:45 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,034,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Huh? Farming is what it is. So Americans only want the jobs that are clean and easy? Seasonal or not, wouldn't an unemployed person do better with 4-6 months of income in their pocket vs nothing at all?

There are also factories that can't find people.

This Ohio factory owner says she has jobs but few sober applicants - CNN
\
easy to say when you know you'd never have to do it! I love those ivory tower folks who say unemployed should do this and this, when they themselves would never do it, and they know it

Old 12-28-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notrhj View Post
So $12-16 an hour.
And maybe I work Harvesting Grapes, do you think thats a 40 hr a week job that happens all year ?

Maybe a good solid 2 weeks of work, a month if I'm good.
Maybe I can jump to another Vintage in a different field and get another month.

If I don't get hurt
If I have transportation
If The Farm is labor linked with another I may work a different crop for another month or two...

Then What. I only have maybe four months at best if everything is perfect.
And Teachers Complain when they have the Summer Off.

The rest of the year Unemployment

Thats the Plantation All Over Again

Farm work is seasonal and migratory

Try that and support a family, housing, schools for the children.

Sounds like the American Dream ?
As long as YOU don't have to do it, sure LOL. I love how so many here tell others to do jobs, or live a lifestyle that they themselves would never do.

Old 12-28-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Businesses will make whatever adjustments they need to make.

What I don't get is all the drama around such low salaries.
why? Not everyone is overpaid, or has connections to a cushy job.

Old 12-28-2017, 07:32 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Open a business and see how long you last with your money at stake.

I was a very generous liberal, then I opened a business and got dope slapped by reality.
There is some truth to this... you never know till you walk in another's shoes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment