Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which suits your lifestyle best?
Live less than 10 minutes from work, but 20+ minutes from your social scene 13 41.94%
Split it down the middle and live an intermediate distance from work AND from your social scene 10 32.26%
Take a reasonably long commute to work, but live down the street from your social scene 8 25.81%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 08:21 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Given the constraints of the problem, I put short commute. But reality is most people will have a lot more factors going into the equation. Cost being the biggest. Cost may not determine where you can live, but it determines where you can't. Then things like crime, shopping, schools all start to come into play. If you're talking about buying a house for example, even if you don't have kids, houses in good school districts resale better than ones in poor districts.
^ This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 09:07 AM

666 posts, read 642,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Wow! Work or where to get a buzz!

WOW!

I've done both. Currently I have a 5 minute commute to work and while it is nice as long as I'm working 11-12 hour days, I think in the future I'll choose to live closer to the more alive, progressive part of the city with the entertainment/shopping/restaurants that I like. Where I am now makes it feel like I live to work and it gets a little depressing. There's nothing out here really besides work and some boring big box chain type places. Zzz.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:14 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janet bubby View Post

I've done both. Currently I have a 5 minute commute to work and while it is nice as long as I'm working 11-12 hour days, I think in the future I'll choose to live closer to the more alive, progressive part of the city with the entertainment/shopping/restaurants that I like. Where I am now makes it feel like I live to work and it gets a little depressing. There's nothing out here really besides work and some boring big box chain type places. Zzz.
how do you know you would like that lifestyle in the future?

Old 12-26-2017, 09:47 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,582,084 times
I live close to my social scene and commute 30 mins or so. It’s not a big deal and I much prefer to love where I live over a 10 minute commute.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:22 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
I live close to my social scene and commute 30 mins or so. It’s not a big deal and I much prefer to love where I live over a 10 minute commute.
Exactly. While my current office is a relatively good location for an office, I’d hate to live there. My neighborhood is way better: good amenities, nice people, easy access to tasty restaurants, coffee shops, the health care practitioners, farmers markets, groceries etc.

So while I want a shorter commute, mine is pretty good right now (25-40 minutes on the bus, one seat ride + short walk). And not only would living close to work be 3x more than I pay, it is less safe, there are more homeless people, the residents are snooty, and the grocery store is far. It would be way less convenient for regular life stuff.

I am switching jobs.

Old 12-26-2017, 08:35 PM

436 posts, read 302,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Depends on how you define good place to live!
yes, spot on

Old 12-26-2017, 10:30 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,074,625 times
Currently I am 30 mins from work and social venues. And the social venues aren't much (a few bars, movie theatre). I have to drive about 1.5 hrs for anything good.

I'd like to live closer to a job/city with stuff to do, but I also like living rural...

Old 12-26-2017, 10:36 PM

436 posts, read 302,193 times
I am near my social venues- hiking club, eating out at local restaurant 1-2x per week for breakfast, cycling with a few buddies, and church on Sundays. I am too far from work and would eventually, after 2018, like to move closer. Buy and fix up houses with my husband.

Though I make about $15 per hr + good benefits, we loose alot on the taxes and the various insurances I signed us up for (accident, dental, life, etc..medical is free). We'd qualify for Medi-Cal if we needed to and be able to keep 100% of the profit from capital gains. So I really only make about $9-10 per hr. I also contribute 5% to a crappy 401k plan with a 12% fee per year though my returns are around 8%.
My employer contributes 4% so I only loose a little bit of money so far...but i predict a recession to some degree coming up in a few yrs.

We don't need to make a lot of $$ but I would so like to be closer to the house. Less stress would be nice too.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:57 PM

144 posts, read 129,254 times
Thanks to everyone for pitching in your thoughts. The poll results were fairly even, and good points were made on all sides. There are many more factors that go into where to live, I tried to make it as basic as I could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Wow! Work or where to get a buzz!

WOW!
A+ for misconstruing the intent of my thread (and FWIW, no one wants to risk a DUI if they're out with friends to blow steam off from work). However, you are more than welcome to share your thoughts on the poll question.

Old 01-01-2018, 11:28 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,102,410 times
I live about a 20 min/6.6 mile bike ride away from my work. While my "social circle" involves anywhere from a 4-8 hour drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment