Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 08:48 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,809,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
An internship would help with the first job out of college, but after 10 years, it doesn't matter. At this point experience counts more. So rather than look at internships, can you tell us what you have done job wise and what you would like to do?
I have worked retail and warehouse jobs since graduating college. Right now, I work at a warehouse doing stocking. I actually tried to get an internship after college since I didn't get one during college just to try to get some work experience, because people suggested that's what I do. I don't know what I want to do now. At first when I got my degree, I wanted to do marketing in the sports industry. I even have tried networking and still couldn't get a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 09:22 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,623,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
I have worked retail and warehouse jobs since graduating college. Right now, I work at a warehouse doing stocking. I actually tried to get an internship after college since I didn't get one during college just to try to get some work experience, because people suggested that's what I do. I don't know what I want to do now. At first when I got my degree, I wanted to do marketing in the sports industry. I even have tried networking and still couldn't get a job.
Retail sales actually IS a marketing related job.

Marketing jobs in the sports industry are very limited, so it's not surprising that you couldn't find a job right out of college in that industry, especially during the recession.

However, that doesn't mean you can't move forward now, and perhaps find a more satisfying job.

In terms of deciding what you want to do now, perhaps try thinking about these questions:

- When you took business classes in college, which classes did you find most interesting and satisfying? Why?

- In your college classes, did you work on any class projects for your business/marketing courses that you were particularly proud of or satisfied with? What were they?

- Since graduating, what has been the most interesting or challenging part of each job you've had? Why?

- In each job, what skills have you developed that could be applied to other types of jobs? Think broadly. For example, in your warehouse work, have you had to work as a team, manage projects, supervise others (even informally)? In your retail jobs, did you develop customer service skills or apply your marketing knowledge in some way?

You may also want to consider working with a career counselor to figure out a plan for moving into work you enjoy more and putting together a resume that highlights your skills. You can find experienced career counselors through the National Career Development Association
https://www.ncda.org

Many community colleges offer career planning services and courses. Perhaps that would help as well.

Old 12-27-2017, 11:41 PM

10,651 posts, read 5,628,394 times
Quote:
I never interned while getting my marketing degree because I had to work full time while going to school so I couldn’t afford to take an internship because most internships don’t pay. Fast forward years later and I still can’t get a marketing job. I have been out of school ten years so now my degree is a waste and I have been trying to figure out how to get out of being UNDERemployed. Most people have to take a paid job while in school so they can’t afford to do an internship. Is it basically pointless to go to school if you can’t intern? It seems like it. Am I wrong?
How many internships in Marketing, arranged through your hometown university (CSU), are unpaid? Exactly zero. Unpaid internships through universities are actually pretty rare.

Old 12-27-2017, 11:43 PM

10,651 posts, read 5,628,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Employers would have everyone working for free if it was up to them
And employees would all be making $1million plus if it were up to them.

What a silly, meaningless post. . .

Old 12-28-2017, 12:35 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,704,700 times
Internship is not required but highly recommended. Many students still don't intern. I did not intern in college because I didn't know it was that important. So I had to take job with staffing company after graduation to get that experience & build resume. After 1 year, I finally got my break. I had an offer for internship during college but it was during winter semester. Again, I did not know the importance of internship and no one in my family had professional jobs. So i didn't know what was right. I turned it down because I did not want to skip a semester.

The internship would have helped me get a permanent job in my field faster but it can be managed. You either serve your time while in univ or after. I also know of a friend who did internship (in marketing) but still wasn't able to get a job in her field. She lacks confidence, so she said. So internship doesn't guarantee job.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:27 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,893,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Marketing jobs in the sports industry are very limited, so it's not surprising that you couldn't find a job right out of college in that industry, especially during the recession.

Yeah, this is a super tough field. You literally have to be willing to work long hours for free or effectively free, unless you're a top candidate or an athlete that can parlay that clout into a gig (a hockey playing roommate of mine at UVM did this).

But internships are pretty critical. I worked full times at nights during the summers in college in order to do them during the day, and then did more right after undergrad (while working at an answering service at night). 40/60 hrs a week are luxuries at this age when starting out.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:38 AM

12,776 posts, read 8,987,507 times
Ok. My dad actually was in sports marketing and sales in the 70s. He too early retirement because the field was changing too much. That too much marketing was being done by advertising to the consumer rather that to the product user and more outside firms rather than on house marketing.

That said do you have a specific part of the industry such as marketing of a team or retail such as a place like Dicks or a specific subset like BPS? Or a manufacturer? There are hundreds of possible ways on and organizations. Which is your passion?

Old 12-28-2017, 12:12 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,809,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Ok. My dad actually was in sports marketing and sales in the 70s. He too early retirement because the field was changing too much. That too much marketing was being done by advertising to the consumer rather that to the product user and more outside firms rather than on house marketing.

That said do you have a specific part of the industry such as marketing of a team or retail such as a place like Dicks or a specific subset like BPS? Or a manufacturer? There are hundreds of possible ways on and organizations. Which is your passion?
I would like to market for an NFL team because football is my passion.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:09 PM

12,776 posts, read 8,987,507 times
A friend's son works for one of the franchises. From what he says, a large part of his job is hosting (anyone from VIPs to media, to general fan assistance) at the games, which starts hours before and lasts hours after and you don't get to see much, if any, of the game; then working a lot of little events that most people don't think of for fans and media throughout the week. It's not "Madmen" but more hosting.

The way in is to apply just like any other job and be willing to start at the lowest level. But remember, there are only a handful of NFL teams. You'll just have to go to each team's website and start applying. Just for giggles, I quickly googled Dallas Cowboys and they list various positions.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:43 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,314,280 times
Quote:
I never interned while getting my marketing degree because I had to work full time while going to school so I couldn’t afford to take an internship because most internships don’t pay. Fast forward years later and I still can’t get a marketing job. I have been out of school ten years so now my degree is a waste and I have been trying to figure out how to get out of being UNDERemployed. Most people have to take a paid job while in school so they can’t afford to do an internship. Is it basically pointless to go to school if you can’t intern? It seems like it. Am I wrong?
Other people find a way, so that's why employers do it. If it had been important enough, you would have. Other people were motivated enough to figure it out, so they got the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment