Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2018, 10:26 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
This is precisely the kind of response that thankfully limits my participation in these forums, aka, nitpickers who pedantically spout history (and insults) but apparently live in a bubble that excludes the real world.

Sorry I got your undies in a twist, I must have inadvertently hit very close to a raw nerve. I frankly don't give a rat's ass what the purpose of the originating legislation was some 42 years ago; it has zero relevance to my life (and probably even less to yours, since from your tone, I'm guessing you're far too young to have been alive then).

Since I don't know about you, but I'm living "1996 onwards," what matters to me is what is happening now, and how it affects my life. No "conspiracy" is necessary. It's quite obvious how the entire program has been subverted by outsourcing companies. And, I reiterate, I know of what I speak, since I have been regularly subjected to it over, primarily, the course of the last 10-15 years.
So wait - you state something completely made up about what the H1B system was originally set up for, including its legislative history, then when I point out that's crap - you get huffy and say its nitpicking?

I guess in the world of cognitive dissonance its always ok to make up rhetoric and not ok to expose that is bunk. Its ok for you to trot out a blatant falsehood in support of your general argument (which doesn't need the falsehood anyway) but its not ok to correct that falsity. Uh huh.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:13 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,312,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
No...my main gripe is that the majority of H!Bs are not 'high skilled' people.
I work as a ML Engineer and work with some h1bs....some are exceptional and graduated from IIT. However, most went to Univ of Pune and are just average or below-average.

As has been said many times. I'm all for h1bs...but ONLY the top people with specialized skills.
IIT, JNU, etc grads are more than welcome....Pune Univ, Cochin Technical College, etc and other lower ranked schools are not needed.

Like it or not, many of us who are young Indian americans and young asian americans oppose high numbers of skilled immigration into this country. We're not interested in the libertarian open-borders BS
^^^ This

The point of the H1B was to get the world renown brain surgeons to come over temporarily to fill a gap and train enough of the people here to keep things going.

I believe 15 out of the top 20 H1B visa holder are "consulting" and "service" firms - basically companies outsource their IT and other simple back office crap to them because it's not considered a "core competency."

Also, if you look at the pay gap between H1B's these companies and companies that actually provide an actual service (think Microsoft, Google, Oracle, etc.), there is quite a difference.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:50 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveyL View Post
^^^ This

The point of the H1B was to get the world renown brain surgeons to come over temporarily to fill a gap and train enough of the people here to keep things going.

I believe 15 out of the top 20 H1B visa holder are "consulting" and "service" firms - basically companies outsource their IT and other simple back office crap to them because it's not considered a "core competency."

Also, if you look at the pay gap between H1B's these companies and companies that actually provide an actual service (think Microsoft, Google, Oracle, etc.), there is quite a difference.

A sampling of our H1Bs here:

• A QA guy who doesn't know how to write a test case or report a defect properly
  • A business analyst who pretends to be competent by asking dumb questions and interrupting people
  • A database developer who writes...literally...the worst code I've ever seen (and I've been looking at database code for 20 years)...and our DBA team backs me up on that
  • A network guy who doesn't know what firewall ports do what and expects us (developers) to know which ports are for what...also refuses to figure out what the IP address of a particular server is even though he's just as able to PING something as we are

Old 01-18-2018, 01:15 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,312,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
A sampling of our H1Bs here:

• A QA guy who doesn't know how to write a test case or report a defect properly
  • A business analyst who pretends to be competent by asking dumb questions and interrupting people
  • A database developer who writes...literally...the worst code I've ever seen (and I've been looking at database code for 20 years)...and our DBA team backs me up on that
  • A network guy who doesn't know what firewall ports do what and expects us (developers) to know which ports are for what...also refuses to figure out what the IP address of a particular server is even though he's just as able to PING something as we are
Sounds like par for the course...

When you pay peanuts.....

Old 01-18-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveyL View Post
Sounds like par for the course...

When you pay peanuts.....
I'm not the one hiring them (I wouldn't have hired even one of them).

But I see your point.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:13 PM

348 posts, read 460,341 times
Quote:
I'm not the one hiring them (I wouldn't have hired even one of them).

But I see your point.
Who hires these people though? I really don't understand how Indian IT consulting firms were able to bastardize the H1B so easily. It makes no sense.

Regarding the 'highly skilled" requirement, If I recall, I believe there's some definition. It doesn't necessarily mean a genius or super star and I'm not sure why it would. I believe it's just a bachelor's degree in specialty occupations. The issue here is that some companies were allowed to take advantage of the program. The government could have easily figured this out if they really wanted to.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbf2006 View Post
Who hires these people though? I really don't understand how Indian IT consulting firms were able to bastardize the H1B so easily. It makes no sense.

Regarding the 'highly skilled" requirement, If I recall, I believe there's some definition. It doesn't necessarily mean a genius or super star and I'm not sure why it would. I believe it's just a bachelor's degree in specialty occupations. The issue here is that some companies were allowed to take advantage of the program. The government could have easily figured this out if they really wanted to.
Having a bachelor's degree in a specific field doesn't mean you have actual usable skills though.

I don't know who hires them. They're useless.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:03 PM

986 posts, read 1,666,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbf2006 View Post
Money talks (or should I say cutting costs), especially when you start mentioning executive bonuses for reductions in headcount and what the investors want.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:05 PM

986 posts, read 1,666,460 times
Quote:
Having a bachelor's degree in a specific field doesn't mean you have actual usable skills though.

I also see a lot of visa holders with all kinds of alphabet soup/certifications behind their names, but no real world experience. Not saying there isn't a place for certifications, but a lot of times theory does not equal how concepts work in the real world.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:25 PM

348 posts, read 460,341 times
Quote:

I know it doesn't. I'm just saying that the H1B wasn't specifically for geniuses or the like. There are other visas like the O1. Not necessarily for geniuses either, but some sort of exceptional talent or need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment