Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 07:41 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,686,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I was going to say that education does not seem to have age discrimination, but I'm thinking post-secondary, and on the teaching thread perhaps you heard from grade school teachers. In post-secondary, you may find opportunities in Teaching and Learning centers that value experience over youth.
There is a thread on the education forum on this topic. The responses are extremely discouraging, so much so that I feel it would be a mistake to pursue that direction. My dream, if I can dare to dream, would be to eventually teach in a community college. I dunno. I don't think time is really on my side at age 56.

I do have plenty of accounting classes with stunning grades. I always assumed this would be a field filled with ageism. Is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 08:02 AM

674 posts, read 602,050 times
OP - Nobody cares about grades, except when you're in school. Employers are only interested in whether you can do the job or not. I've seen lots of book-smart students who fail miserably in the "real world".

I've read some of your older posts about botany, languages, etc. Unfortunately I don't think there are viable and realistic options in those fields, at your age.

If you want to supplement your income, look into keeping books and doing taxes for small businesses. There are lots of mom-and-pop businesses who have no idea on how to run their operations efficiently. It may require a bit of learning on your part (mainly about taxes) but it should provide you with a good side income eventually. It took me 7-8 years to get established, as I also had a day job. But now I can gross 15K-20K/yr from that side gig, depending on how hard I want to work. And I still have my day job.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:05 AM

50,191 posts, read 35,879,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
There is a thread on the education forum on this topic. The responses are extremely discouraging, so much so that I feel it would be a mistake to pursue that direction. My dream, if I can dare to dream, would be to eventually teach in a community college. I dunno. I don't think time is really on my side at age 56.

I do have plenty of accounting classes with stunning grades. I always assumed this would be a field filled with ageism. Is it?
I don't think online really reflects the whole picture. I wouldn't just go by people complaining about it. 2 years ago I had Sciatica so bad I had to crawl to the bathroom in the morning. I waited many months in agony and spent a fortune on PT and chiro as well as credit card debt because I was in too much pain to work, because online people had terrifying stories about back surgery gone wrong. Reading made it seem like bad results were the norm. When I finally had the surgery, it worked so well I was mad at myself for waiting so many months needlessly.

Get certified as a sub, try it out. I'll ask my niece who is a teacher what she has seen though, but I would absolutely not base a life decision based only on online horror stories.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:32 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,702,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post

Age discrimination exists everywhere, but I think nursing, in general, has a lot more opportunities. It also tends to pay better.
"Tends to" pay better? Around here nursing salaries outpace teaching salaries by about double...more than double, if you're comparing it to a starting teacher's salary.

I think you have to have a "calling", so to speak, for both professions, though....who wants a teacher for their children, or a nurse caring for them in a hospital, who doesn't really love what they do and are good at it?

Old 01-04-2018, 10:33 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,702,635 times
Quote:
This was due to an injury. Life happens when we try to live.
Think about this...nurses work 12-hour shifts and are on their feet a lot.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Think about this...nurses work 12-hour shifts and are on their feet a lot.
They are on their feet a lot, but 12 hour shifts are usually voluntary, you get to work only 3 days a week when you choose that. Also it's mainly in hospitals. In nursing homes the shifts are normally 7-3, 3-11 and 11-7. They are on their feet for much of it however.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:58 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,079,434 times
Quote:
I am 56 and need to return to school to complete a degree. I wanted to become a teacher. I posted on the education forum about wanting to do this. Judging from the responses, it seems that age discrimination is alive and well in that field.

Are there any careers that would have less age discrimination? A male pal went back to school at 50 to become a nurse. He had a career of about 20 years. He recommended nursing. Our local community college offers nursing as well as radiology.

Anyone have any idea what fields have the least age discrimination? Or are they all bad?
I'm confused. Why, at your age do you "need to return to school"? Would the degree help you in your current job?
What would be the cost/benefit of the degree?

Your outlook on "age discrimination" doesn't make the important distinction between starting a job at 56 versus being 56 in a job you've held for 30-years.

An airline pilot or top salesman would be an asset to a company at that age. Venturing into a totally new field of work at your age would be a gamble for you and an employer.

Age discrimination is a natural element of employment and life in general. There's many reasons why Air Traffic Controllers can't be hired after age 30.

There's many reasons why a father would disapprove of a 19-year old daughter dating a man 30-years her senior.

I would make the best of what you are currently doing, and do what you can to advance until you can retire in your sixties.

Just my two cents.

Old 01-04-2018, 12:46 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,077,210 times
At 56 most people are ready to retire so it's not uncommon to see descrimination.
Hopefully you have saved money.

Old 01-04-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
I'm confused. Why, at your age do you "need to return to school"? Would the degree help you in your current job?
What would be the cost/benefit of the degree?

Your outlook on "age discrimination" doesn't make the important distinction between starting a job at 56 versus being 56 in a job you've held for 30-years.

An airline pilot or top salesman would be an asset to a company at that age. Venturing into a totally new field of work at your age would be a gamble for you and an employer.

Age discrimination is a natural element of employment and life in general. There's many reasons why Air Traffic Controllers can't be hired after age 30.

There's many reasons why a father would disapprove of a 19-year old daughter dating a man 30-years her senior.

I would make the best of what you are currently doing, and do what you can to advance until you can retire in your sixties.

Just my two cents.
Actually airline pilots have to retire at 65.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:01 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,817,429 times
Engineering. An experienced engineer, during good times, can get hired through a temporary agency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment