Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 06:06 PM

13,232 posts, read 7,286,273 times

Advertisements

New employment laws go into effect in some states and city's where employers are not allowed to ask you how much you made at your last job. These new laws are suppose to help to equalize the pay gap between men and woman.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ews/100933948/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 05:37 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Yet even in places with this law, employers can ask for the salary requirement. We do, and I have rejected people that answer with $80-90k when the opening is only in the $50-60k range. One of my best people put down $20/hour, I gave her $25, and a year later promoted her. I don’t see how this law makes any difference, though. When you know the previous employer, the job title, and years there it’s pretty easy to figure out what someone made without asking them and most exaggerate anyway.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:39 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
If the employee wants beyond what the employer is willing to pay, it's best for everyone to cut the bull and get that out of the way first thing.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:31 PM

One thing I can't stand is when employer won't say what the pay scale is for the job until get to interviews find out it's way below what I was making. One employer did that to me once I basically told them they were idiots for wasting my time to their faces they should have told me when I asked about it when scheduling the interview taking time off from my current employer.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:41 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,475,295 times
More transparency in the job description would help cut down on frivolous applications, but employers think this undermines their negotiation leverage, so they don’t provide it. It’s a real PITA and waste of time to get to the in-person interview stage to find out you want more than they want to pay for the position. Some hiring teams are getting better at discussing this during phone interviews in my experience.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:04 PM

If refuse to disclose at least a pay scale I just tell them I can't waste my time interviewing either they tell me or I will just cancel. Typically if they are trying to hide those facts probably an employer or manager who is dishonest person trying to trick someone into a low pay scale I would not want to work there anyway.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:28 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
If refuse to disclose at least a pay scale I just tell them I can't waste my time interviewing either they tell me or I will just cancel. Typically if they are trying to hide those facts probably an employer or manager who is dishonest person trying to trick someone into a low pay scale I would not want to work there anyway.
Your job pool would be *extremely* limited then, at least in white collar corporate America, where salaries are rarely posted.

I agree, though, the whole thing stinks. Would love it if there was transparency up front with, at a minimum, a pay range. But the reality is companies want to pay you as little as possible so they don't play their cards first. My goal was to always try and get them to state the range first....BEFORE I give my desired salary....but not always possible, especially with online applications that require you to input that information up front.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:38 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
For payscale, I just check Glassdoor and salary sharing threads on Reddit. Third party recruiters have no problem throwing out numbers.

I have worked in corporate for nearly 15 years. I agree with other posts, corporate america typically does not offer numbers. When that rare one does say yes, it may not be a great salary. All your options are exhausted at that point.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:30 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yet even in places with this law, employers can ask for the salary requirement. We do, and I have rejected people that answer with $80-90k when the opening is only in the $50-60k range. One of my best people put down $20/hour, I gave her $25, and a year later promoted her. I don’t see how this law makes any difference, though. When you know the previous employer, the job title, and years there it’s pretty easy to figure out what someone made without asking them and most exaggerate anyway.
it makes a difference bc they cannot judge your salary / worth upon what you have made previously.

So for example, if I make $80k and I ask for $95k, with the old law they could say "that's a $15k jump, no way, you made $80k, we'll offer $85K"... it's a way to low-ball you by justifying it based on your previous salary.

it's wrong.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:46 AM

199 posts, read 165,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
I have worked in corporate for nearly 15 years. I agree with other posts, corporate america typically does not offer numbers.
That's why the unspoken rule of not asking about salary at an interview is ridiculous. That should be the first question you ask. Why waste your time and the interviewer's time, as well as hassling your references, if the proposed salary is unacceptable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment