Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 07:38 PM

2,529 posts, read 1,861,649 times

Advertisements

A year and a half ago I signed up for HVACR training classes. I made decent grades and I scored highly on the EPA and NATE tests. But I did lag behind the others and I found a lot of the material confusing at first for a while but I eventually understood it. After taking all the 4 required classes over 18 months, the plan was for me to go into an internship. Everyone said you learned more on the job than in class so I was expecting to understand it better by working with someone on the internship. Before starting my final class before the internship my professor said he noticed from the beginning that I struggled a bit but thought I'd catch on but apparently I wasn't up to pace. He gave me the option of withdrawing to get a refund but also said I could stay but said he wasn't comfortable sending me out in the workplace to work on an internship and I agreed so I quit the classes. He said computer technology or plumbing might be good for me. He said not to do hvac or electricity.

I've seen some job postings nearby my town by hvac and electric companies saying they'll train people with no experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 09:35 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
sounds like you don't have the aptitude for an HVAC or electrical career

Old 01-14-2018, 08:53 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,989,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
A year and a half ago I signed up for HVACR training classes. I made decent grades and I scored highly on the EPA and NATE tests. But I did lag behind the others and I found a lot of the material confusing at first for a while but I eventually understood it. After taking all the 4 required classes over 18 months, the plan was for me to go into an internship. Everyone said you learned more on the job than in class so I was expecting to understand it better by working with someone on the internship. Before starting my final class before the internship my professor said he noticed from the beginning that I struggled a bit but thought I'd catch on but apparently I wasn't up to pace. He gave me the option of withdrawing to get a refund but also said I could stay but said he wasn't comfortable sending me out in the workplace to work on an internship and I agreed so I quit the classes. He said computer technology or plumbing might be good for me. He said not to do hvac or electricity.

I've seen some job postings nearby my town by hvac and electric companies saying they'll train people with no experience.
I taught HVAC in the military for 2 years. Some students simply were not cut out for it. The classroom part is important, if that confuses you then you wont likely learn it on the job.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:15 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,437,689 times
Quote:

Screw what the guy said.

I'd go with HVAC first then go into electrical. HVAC is better because it gives you a much wider ranging skill set. Chemistry, thermodynamics, physics, plumbing, hydronics, air flow and electrical control systems. It's complex and the harder road but the payoff is well worth it. Start with a company as an installer. Putting systems in before becoming a repair tech is vital because you learn a lot about how the systems are built and how they function. Do installation for a few years and while you are doing that learn about the components and how they work, how to put them together correctly.
There's a lot to learn and at first it may be overwhelming. There's regular water heaters, tankless hot water heaters, heat pumps of all kinds, air conditioners, gas, oil, coal wood and pellet fuel sources you need to learn about. Put you nose in the books and learn and never stop.

Right now companies are desperate for new blood and if you prove yourself and apply yourself you can have a very productive career. I did HVAC years ago and while I do other work now I still make 1000s a year on the side doing ductwork for people and other small jobs.

Keep in mind though that some aspects of the field are not fun. You often spend time under peoples homes in crawl spaces and other times your on top of a 7 story building in -10 degree weather in a 30 mph wind. When you first start you're a grunt. Keep your mouth shut, listen and learn and do as your told.

Old 01-14-2018, 10:54 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,940,787 times
Electricians are more respected IMO.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:52 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Electricians are more respected IMO.
by other electricians

Old 01-15-2018, 08:36 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,185,373 times
Quote:

Don't sell yourself short. I have worked with plenty of HVAC guys who don't know anything about theory and couldn't properly diagnose an issue to save their life. They basically are just parts changers and take the guess and check approach. Most guys can't even tell you what latent heat is or explain the refrigeration cycle to you.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:59 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,437,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Don't sell yourself short. I have worked with plenty of HVAC guys who don't know anything about theory and couldn't properly diagnose an issue to save their life. They basically are just parts changers and take the guess and check approach. Most guys can't even tell you what latent heat is or explain the refrigeration cycle to you.
This is a big problem in the industry. The lack of depth in knowledge and experience. Kids are paying large sums of money to go to school and only getting out book smart and not even deep in that. They know little of physics, thermodynamics, electrinical or plumbing. They can't imagine what is going on elsewhere in the system because they don't know how it all works in depth.

My last job in HVAC had me following guys who didn't understand the low voltage wiring and were having the emergency heat come on when the AC was called for. The customer was pissed and I had to deal with it. Just last summer a friend called me about his Takagi tankless water heater. He had just had it serviced and it kept throwing a bad gas code. I down loaded the manual and explored what could be wrong because I had never worked with a Takagi before. I couldn't find anything wrong but still threw that damn code. I finally noticed something on the gas inlet manifold cover. It was a cork gasket. The tech had used silicone to glue it to the cover and as it slowly dried the fumes mixed with the gas and the gas sensor didn't like it so it threw the code. The homeowner ordered another gasket from Takagi and I cleaned the plate up and reinstalled it. Worked perfectly.

This is just an example. A lot of techs are not adequately trained and experienced enough. Some of the equipment is so damn complex it's actually a detriment to the homeowner. Why does a freaking water heater have to have a sensor that sniffs the damn gas? Keep it simple ffs.

BTW. From what I have had to deal with concerning those tankless heaters stay to hell away from them. They're too complicated and very expensive to maintain. You'll lose money on repair and maintenance over time compared to a regular heater.

Old 01-21-2018, 02:55 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
by other electricians
That's all that matters.

OP: Screw what the guy said.
If you want to do it AND someone is willing to hire you on then at least try the real thing.
There are alot of people who NEVER get the books but will do just fine in the streets.

Old 01-21-2018, 03:01 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,940,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
by other electricians
Electricians make more on average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment