Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 10:59 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,188,178 times

Advertisements

I work around 60'ish hours a week due to work volume. It's also the nature of my chosen line of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 11:34 AM

272 posts, read 184,042 times
I chose to, out in Utah I had the option to go from 40-80 hours a week if I so chose to. It wasn't draining but not many places openly allow for whatever you want.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:44 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namogel View Post

At my job, it's hard for me to fathom that type of environment...I tend to get in before 830 and don't stay past 5...maybe even 445...I have a pretty long commute (100 minutes door to door one way),
I don't get that life sucking commute you have.

Why don't you move closer?

Old 01-15-2018, 11:45 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Remember you're coming from one view. There's many who work 50 and that's normal for them. Auto mechs for one. Many love their work and even when off duty, will work on cars for friends (And for side cash) I once worked no less than 55 hours a week for a company for several years. Nature of the beast (Japanese Company, go figure) I'd have complained but I was making good money then and my boss and supervisor were doing 5-15 hours more than I.

I'm now looking at a job which the basics are 10 hours a day M-T and F-S for OT. Why? They have 2 shifts, making cleanroom equipment. Big seller and the company is begging for workers, so that's what they want and I am willing. Mainly it's money for the hourly workers, not everyone is salaried...

Old 01-15-2018, 12:04 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I don't get that life sucking commute you have.

Why don't you move closer?
I can't answer for the poster you were asking, but in my case, I had a commute like that for most of my working life and even longer for the last five or six.

"Moving closer" is not a viable option for most people who live in New Jersey and work in the city. An hour and a half is about average door to door. Manhattan is on an island, there are a finite number of ways to cross the water from NJ to the city, and you've got a quarter million people trying to do that during the same window of time every day.

Even if you live in one of the cities on the Jersey side of the Hudson it will take you half an hour to get to work in the city. and if you do live in one of those cities, you don't have a backyard and you have to pay for private school because they are urban areas that don't have good, safe, public schools. There are some very expensive areas in those cities, but again, they are not sf homes with yards and good schools. Most people want the suburban life that the city job salary provides for.

We get people all the time on the NJ forum who have accepted a job in the city and are inquiring into where to live. They want a house with a big yard in a nice family neighborhood, good schools--and a 45-minute commute. We tell them to pick two, because there is no such thing as all three. It is usually the commute that they have to get a grip on reality about.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:20 PM

6,822 posts, read 10,510,104 times
When I work that many hours, it is simply because the volume of work cannot be completed by a deadline without putting in the extra hours. That happens occasionally but not all the time at my job. Some places it is pretty regular - and I call poor management/business practice when that is the case - i.e. they need to hire more people or upgrade equipment etc.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:34 PM

271 posts, read 295,630 times
I studied electrical engineering in college, graduated from a pretty good school, i never counted how many hours i studied, but there were many times i only slept 4 or 5 hrs a day, and i did this for probably 3 out of the 4yrs that i was in college. When i first graduated from college and started working, i kinda took easy on myself, worked 40 hrs a week just like others and used my spare time to travel and did things that made me happy. I didn't live like everyday like it was the last day of my life, but i lived like every year was my last year.
A few years ago, my wife and I decided that we wanted to buy a 2nd house for investment purpose, to save the 20% down payment, at one point, i had 3 jobs, 1 full time, 2 part time. Here is a schedule of what my day looked like when i had 3 jobs:
3:20am, wake up
3:30am, leave for my 1st part time job
4-8am, my first part time job
8:30am-4:20pm, my full time job
5:00pm-8:30pm, 2nd part time job
8:30pm-9:00pm, drive back home

I did this for about a week or two and decided to quit. I learned that I can do it, but not on consecutive days, so I quit the 4am job, getting up at 3:20am was too much for me, but kept my other part time job and of course full time job. I did my full and part time for about 5 months.
To answer op's question, why? because at the time, I wanted to buy my 2nd house, I wanted to buy it badly and wanted to buy it ASAP, so i worked hard, long hours, made money and eventually saved enough money and bought my 2nd house, :-)
People always say don't work hard for the money, let money work hard for you, but to let money work hard for you, you first need to have the money.
Currently, i only have a full time job, but doing some other things on the side. Nevertheless, i can definitely see myself working 8am to 9pm a day, 5 or 6 days a week if it becomes necessary, :-).

Last edited by some1livesinamerica; 01-15-2018 at 12:54 PM..

Old 01-15-2018, 12:38 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
I work more than 50/week. My commute is walking 30 minutes door to door. I’m a manager of 2 teams with 13 direct reports. Super busy, tons of projects, many meetings and interruptions and administrative work so it’s hard to get things done.i also teach an online class for an Ivy League university for an in demand field. My place of work is very prestigious. I’m not rich but do ok. It’s hard right now so don’t know how long I can keep it up but am setting myself up for a good retirement (still far away) and future options.

I’m not complaining but I am busy and stressed pretty much every day for much of the day. Hopefully I make it before I have a friggin stroke.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:51 PM

2,533 posts, read 3,096,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I don't work over 40 unless I'm hourly and paid OT.
Right on!

Old 01-15-2018, 02:02 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
If I have to jump on a call for 20-30 minutes to monitor and validate a deployment 1-2x a month, that's fine. Production releases to 24/7/365 systems can't be done during business hours. But working 50-60-70 hours a week all the time? Screw that.
Once in a while, sure there may be times you have to have that extended week, but it shouldn't constant. I don't know how people live that do those ridiculous hours on a continuous basis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment