Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 08:46 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times

Advertisements

So I am full-time employed and while I do love my job & company, they pay me far below what I am worth. I have been looking for another job for over a year now & it's been grim at best. I have gotten a few interviews over the year but nothing panned out. I went on an interview on Friday. I thought I had it in the bag but today they let me know they are going with someone else.

I don't know what it is I am doing wrong. I have stellar references. I have 15 solid years of experience. I have a college degree. I manage people. I have been an asset to every company I have been at - and not b/c I think so - but because they have both told me so and told companies so when they called for references... so what gives?

Potentially I may be asking for too much $$ but I am asking for what I feel I am WORTH & what I've been told I am worth and what the market and things like salary.com etc etc say I am worth for my field and level of experience. What I am asking for I don't feel is unfair, however, if a person comes in and is willing to accept less perhaps the co's are choosing that person over me.

I am a big believer in you get what you pay for. Experience and good people come @ a price.

It is discouraging to say the least and I feel stuck in a rut and not sure what I should do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 09:00 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I don't know what it is I am doing wrong.

Potentially I may be asking for too much $$ but I am asking for what I feel I am WORTH & what I've been told I am worth and what the market and things like salary.com etc etc say I am worth for my field and level of experience. what I should do.
What are you demanding pay wise and what were the offers?

It's great to know what you're worth, but the companies are looking at their bottom line, not your bank account.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
What are you demanding pay wise and what were the offers?

It's great to know what you're worth, but the companies are looking at their bottom line, not your bank account.
I am asking for $90k. For someone 15 years in who is a manager of a team, I don't feel that is unreasonable.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:06 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,188,357 times
This; there may be a budget limitation for the companies you are applying for. Just because you might deserve it doesn't mean they can afford it; they also have to report to their management.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:09 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,184,182 times
Are you a manager in some kind of technical field or other?

The amount of positions that are prioritized by companies just keeps shrinking. Management for non technical roles is more and more about lets just have a bunch of policies and hire the cheapest person to follow them.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Are you a manager in some kind of technical field or other?

The amount of positions that are prioritized by companies just keeps shrinking. Management for non technical roles is more and more about lets just have a bunch of policies and hire the cheapest person to follow them.
I work in the media/entertainment field... so ya, non-technical.

Still though. I get saving $$ is important to companies but then they are going to get crappy people.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
This; there may be a budget limitation for the companies you are applying for. Just because you might deserve it doesn't mean they can afford it; they also have to report to their management.
yes but they asked me what I was targeting on the initial phone call and then still brought me in for 2 in-person interviews. If my target was not in range, why even bother moving me forward in the process at all?

I also realize there might be better people than me but why do I keep getting rejected after every interview I go to? I am well-dressed & groomed, I am professional... I don't understand what is wrong.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:16 AM

They don't care. It is all about the short term. Most companies no longer have a long term view with respect to investing in their people.

If you are getting interviews, that's good, you are wanted. Now you just have to sell yourself better and luck out with the right employer.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
yes but they asked me what I was targeting on the initial phone call and then still brought me in for 2 in-person interviews. If my target was not in range, why even bother moving me forward in the process at all?

I also realize there might be better people than me but why do I keep getting rejected after every interview I go to? I am well-dressed & groomed, I am professional... I don't understand what is wrong.
Because you might of been the holy grail, the perfect person who could move mountains, you know, the thing that doesn't exist, yet employers still think they can find.

The person they hired is probably not as good as you, but good enough in their mind and much cheaper.

You have to just keep looking until you find that company that values what you have and is willing to pay for it.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:25 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,337,787 times
You need to lower your salary demands. Getting a job is a value play, employers are deciding that your possible extra skill is not worth extra money and going with the better deal.

It also sounds like you are looking for a large bump up from what you are currently paid, that is not likely to happen. Next time try asking for current salary plus 10%, I think you will have much better luck than just throwing out an arbitrary number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment