Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 04:34 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,248,821 times

Advertisements

are you sure you don't have a learning disability or even dislexia? if you can pinpoint the issue, it might make finding a suitable profession easier. My sister worked with people with disabilities before her untimely death and she said many people in prison had learning disabilities, so you're already better off than many people.

here's a few jobs that come to mind.

Landscaping
Sanitation
driving (my brother in law has dislexia and drives a camera truck for a movie studio)
photocopy guy
mailroom guy ( I have another friend whose son has dislexia and does this)
President of the United States (just kidding)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 04:39 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
I like the military or truck driver options.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:01 PM

199 posts, read 165,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I like the military or truck driver options.
I'm not dumb or not mechanically inclined, and I often consider driving a truck. It sounds peaceful, or at least moreso than the tense office environments that I've dealt with. I'm very much a loner, which would be necessary for that kind of job.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:27 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I suspect that if a person has no education and no mechanical ability, the job available in the military is "cannon fodder."
Nothing is more honorable than dying for rich bankers.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:43 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
My story is not quite the same as the janitor. I am a dropout.

I studied for Comptia A, which is a pc desktop support. I got a low level customer tech suport for internet.

I was let go and ended up as a shipping clerk. To track the shipments, we had to use a MS Access database to log the tracking numbet, file number, destination address, etc. I made around 11-12/hr in 2008. The economy busted and company closed its doors.

Next job, I got a business analyst ob to do Access Reports. I went from 11-12/hr shipping clerk to $50k/year business analyst.

That company was aold 3 years later and everybody was laid off with 2 montha notice. I studied sql reporting, since I heard it was better pay than MS Access.

After the layoff, I landed a 75k Senior Business Analyst job. I wenr from $11-12 to 50k to 75k in 3 years.

Nowadays, I am at 120k+ and do not live in the west or east coast urban centers.

I have worked with other data entry clerks. They made simlar trajectory or in the early stages of it. One fella has gone up 30k in a year. Clerks make nothing.
That's awesome. You where able to find an underserved skillset in the market and took full advantage.

So if someone was able to teach themselves the basics of SQL from those books, how do you go about building up some experience in the beginning? Are there open source type projects or volunteering jobs you could do?

Old 01-24-2018, 11:23 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadwell10201 View Post
You basically have two choices in life, 1) go to college and earn a degree 2) go to a vocational school, learn a trade, be a skilled worker, etc.

What if you're not smart enough for college, (barely made it through public school, hate school, math is like a 4th grade level), overall would be a huge struggle....

But you're also not mechanically inclined/no good with your hands/working on things/taking things apart. That's basically what #2 is all about right? I guess you can learn, but I feel like you should be able to do certain things on your own. I mean what kind of 'skilled labor' is out there where you're not fixing something/taking things apart?

So if you're no good at either of the two things...then what? Be poor, stupid, unskilled?
In my area, what guys did that didn't have an education or special skills was get on with the local industrial plants. Conoco, PPG, etc. It took a while to get hired there, but if you got hired, they were good jobs. Great benefits, retirement plans, perks, good pay with chances for overtime.

Try to get hired by a large co., whatever you do. So much better pay and benefits and job security.

OR...

How about working your way up to management in retail or something like that? IF they promote from within and you don't have to have a degree for the promotion. Or in the restaurant business?

UPS or FedEx deliverer? Hard, long hours. I'd hate it, but some like it. Big companies, which is good.

U S postal service? Great benefits & retirement.

Manual labor...even civil service. Work on a road crew. Things like that. THIS WOULD BE TOUGH WORK. Bear in mind that this sort of work takes a toll on the body over the years.

Do you have any office skills? I worked for a large law firm that had guys working in the records department, the mail room, and the like. Good pay, decent benefits, nice work environment. Some jobs needed basic computer skills, but nothing fancy.

Figure out what your strengths are. What you like to do. What you have an interest in. What kind of a work environment would make you happy.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:37 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Op, you are smart. Stop the self hating.

Old 01-25-2018, 02:25 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
That's awesome. You where able to find an underserved skillset in the market and took full advantage.

So if someone was able to teach themselves the basics of SQL from those books, how do you go about building up some experience in the beginning? Are there open source type projects or volunteering jobs you could do?
I think you are confusing SQL with application development. There is no open source project. At the business level, it's a data dump into Excel spreadsheets for most clerical positions or business analyst roles.

Here is a 13 minute video to write basic sql queries from the Joes 2 Pros author. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_hEj2U_5tI

The video is enough to run queries on a single table. It will get fancier with 2 or more tables. It's pretty easy to learn from their books. He doesn't have the best speaking voice.

Those data entry jobs that pay $10-15/hr. The software saves that information into a database. To get that information into Excel format for other departments to use, you use SQL.

The manager will have IT run SQL to pull that information. If you want to run it yourself, it's just asking the manager if they need help.

That's what all the data entry guys did to move up in SQL. Of course, your pay is still data entry level. They did it for a year and quit for 60-100% salary increase. After another 2 years, they quit again for another 50% increase.

When I was in shipping, we created our own excel reports by using Microsoft Access connected to a SQL server database. The manager thought it was a waste of time to use IT to run shipping reports. There were 3 shipping clerks. All 3 shipping clerks were given instructions on how to run it.

Steps to run reports.
Step 1: Open this query.
Step 2: Click run.
Step 3: Copy and paste rows to Excel.

Then, we needed to add some columns to Excel. It wasn't much different than editing the column names to match what Excel should look like.

When I was laid off, I put all the MS Access reporting experience at the top of the position. I made a one-line mention of shipping files at the bottom of the job duties. I had 2 job offers in 3 interviews in 2008, during the economic meltdown.

I had stayed in that shipping job for over 3 years, so the interviews were a piece of cake. I was too dumb to know that MS Access reporting was worth a lot of money to a $11-12/hr. It was no surprise, that I aced the interviews. If I had known better, I would have left after a year. Another shipping clerk on my team landed a new job and doubled his pay to $50k to be a Data Analyst at a Fortune 100 healthcare company. We were scared during the layoff. We had no idea people would pay so much money office software. We were always paid for slinging boxes around. We would still be slinging boxes for years, if it wasn't for the company going out of business in 2008.

Last edited by move4ward; 01-25-2018 at 03:22 AM..

Old 01-25-2018, 07:22 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,038,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadwell10201 View Post

So if you're no good at either of the two things...then what? Be poor, stupid, unskilled?
Well for starters, change your attitude and start concentrating on what you can do instead of what you can't do.

You have to be smart with money, thats got nothing to do with book smarts.

People make nice livings tapping their creativity.

People make nice livings starting a business.

People make nice livings doing all kinds of things not related to being smart, or good with their hands.

People have started mowing lawns and turned it into million dollar landscaping businesses.

Kids have started selling lemonade or jewelry made from bottle caps and turned it into million dollar businesses.

You have more options than ever in the history of mankind to not only make a living, but make a comfortable living.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:14 AM

192 posts, read 219,449 times
Default Along those lines

What about a mom that stayed home for many years
Nowdivorced and kids grown

High school graduate been working as a bank teller but that doesn't pay much
I am looking for a change and willing to work and learn

Problem is at age 58, companies not willing to train and think you are old
I need a job with health benefits and solid long term employment
If I loose my job I loose my house
Where do I turn?
Thanx
Northern NJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment