Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 08:14 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Your office isn't the universe.
My only complaint is hearing people eat. It's distracting. That's why my desk isn't in the break room or the bathroom, it's my WORK area. I don't believe you're really arguing your right to be annoying, are you?

If you're sure you're not a loud eater, choosing to eat while on the phone and talking loud with food in your mouth, then I'm not inferring that you're obnoxious. It's the lady who eats pancakes at her desk, so she can log onto her computer on time, and appear as if she made it in on time "ready to go", instead of getting up on time to eat breakfast at home. Guess what? She's not really working, but we're both getting paid, and I get to watch this very large lady try to pick up her napkins for her syrup, but she can barely bend over, breathing very loudly with food in her mouth.

I like how the Desk Eaters make it sound like they're part of the Japanese work culture where the workers are logging in 100 hours of OT and live at their desk, they have no choice but to continue sitting there and eating, there's work to finish and stressful deadlines! ....except no, it's only 8 hours for most, and the ones eating pancakes and Doritos with candy dishes out, are not chained to their desks by anything other than laziness and a "who-cares-if-im-bothering-YOU" attitude. A sign more of our culture, not one of those working themselves to death.
You've got it completely backwards - most everyone has said they eat at their desk not because they live at their desk and work 100 hours, but so that they can get work finished in order to leave sooner.

So basically this is just about some diatribe on your part, completely unrelated to the actual discussion going on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 08:22 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
You've got it completely backwards - most everyone has said they eat at their desk not because they live at their desk and work 100 hours, but so that they can get work finished in order to leave sooner.

So basically this is just about some diatribe on your part, completely unrelated to the actual discussion going on here.
But her whole point is that she doesn't like hearing people eat....

What kind of office layout is this that you can hear people eating, and what kind of co-workers are they that they are so obnoxiously loud that it bothers someone else? Are these open floor plans with your co-workers sitting right on top of you? We work in cubicles with relatively high walls. So I wouldn't even know if my co-worker was across the aisle snacking on something.

I remember there was thread like this several months back where some went to the extent that you shouldn't have drinks or snacks at your desk. I'm all for venting about indiscretions in the workplace, but even I have my limitations. This topic seems ridiculous, unless someone is legitimately bringing in smelly foods that are so pungent that it is causing an issue with productivity and happiness in the workplace.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:27 AM

2,893 posts, read 2,142,714 times
just a heads up, stay out of places called restaurants.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:53 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Not everyone has a breakroom - we lost ours shortly before I was hired because the space was needed for a conference room. Staff is growing but there's very limited space to grow into.

I work at a university and while there are places to go on campus, most are LOUD and filled with students. There are also no microwaves in the student center. Eating lunch at my desk allows me to surf the web, handle personal email or writing, or, until recently, work on grad school assignments in peace. More often than not, my workload is such that I really can't afford to take my whole hour lunch or I'll be stressed trying to complete everything. I would have to walk 10 minutes each way to the library for lunch otherwise, and food is not allowed except in a small, loud cafe area.

If management doesn't want us to work at our desks, they would provide us a break room and reasonable workload. So frequently, they don't, so while I'm not about to microwave fish, I'm also not going to skip my lunch.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:01 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Not everyone has a breakroom - we lost ours shortly before I was hired because the space was needed for a conference room. Staff is growing but there's very limited space to grow into.

I work at a university and while there are places to go on campus, most are LOUD and filled with students. There are also no microwaves in the student center. Eating lunch at my desk allows me to surf the web, handle personal email or writing, or, until recently, work on grad school assignments in peace. More often than not, my workload is such that I really can't afford to take my whole hour lunch or I'll be stressed trying to complete everything. I would have to walk 10 minutes each way to the library for lunch otherwise, and food is not allowed except in a small, loud cafe area.

If management doesn't want us to work at our desks, they would provide us a break room and reasonable workload. So frequently, they don't, so while I'm not about to microwave fish, I'm also not going to skip my lunch.
Yes, that's similar to me. I'm at a hospital and my building, which is on the far reaches of the campus, does not have a lunchroom. We do have a fridge and microwave squeezed into a copy room but there's no where to eat in there.

As I mentioned before, I happen to have a private office so I'm not disturbing anyone, but the people who are in cubes also eat at their desks, because it's the only thing that make sense logistically. And if you go during prime lunch hours, you might not even get a seat in the cafeteria because it's small and lots of patients use it during lunchtime.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:02 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Your office isn't the universe.
My only complaint is hearing people eat. It's distracting. That's why my desk isn't in the break room or the bathroom, it's my WORK area. I don't believe you're really arguing your right to be annoying, are you?

If you're sure you're not a loud eater, choosing to eat while on the phone and talking loud with food in your mouth, then I'm not inferring that you're obnoxious. It's the lady who eats pancakes at her desk, so she can log onto her computer on time, and appear as if she made it in on time "ready to go", instead of getting up on time to eat breakfast at home. Guess what? She's not really working, but we're both getting paid, and I get to watch this very large lady try to pick up her napkins for her syrup, but she can barely bend over, breathing very loudly with food in her mouth.

I like how the Desk Eaters make it sound like they're part of the Japanese work culture where the workers are logging in 100 hours of OT and live at their desk, they have no choice but to continue sitting there and eating, there's work to finish and stressful deadlines! ....except no, it's only 8 hours for most, and the ones eating pancakes and Doritos with candy dishes out, are not chained to their desks by anything other than laziness and a "who-cares-if-im-bothering-YOU" attitude. A sign more of our culture, not one of those working themselves to death.
For $10, you can get a pair of cheap earbuds so you don't be distracted.

You are bothered by eating sounds. I am bothered by people who seem to only know how to type with brute force and by a few people on my hall in cubes whose job requires them to be on the phone frequently. Rather than ask them to type or talk softer, I take responsibility for myself and adjust my own habits to make my work environment more comfortable.

Hope that helps.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:05 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,078 times
I never believe a workspace is meant for eating. There is the cafeteria for that, I don't even eat at my desk at home. I have had to work at desks that had crumbs all over them sticky from spilled beverages, etc it's disgusting.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:08 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I never believe a workspace is meant for eating. There is the cafeteria for that, I don't even eat at my desk at home. I have had to work at desks that had crumbs all over them sticky from spilled beverages, etc it's disgusting.
You should read through the comments. You'll realize that not every workplace has a conveniently located cafeteria for everyone to go to.

I don't like eating in a car either, and it's definitely not meant for eating in. However, on long road trips where time is of the essence, it just makes sense.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:31 AM

400 posts, read 292,773 times
I hate it when they make little groups, share with eachother and don’t ask other people near them if they want any.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:32 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,865,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
For $10, you can get a pair of cheap earbuds so you don't be distracted.

You are bothered by eating sounds. I am bothered by people who seem to only know how to type with brute force and by a few people on my hall in cubes whose job requires them to be on the phone frequently. Rather than ask them to type or talk softer, I take responsibility for myself and adjust my own habits to make my work environment more comfortable.

Hope that helps.
So I "don't be distracted"? I'm giving my opinion, I done expect change, read the thread title.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment