U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2018, 03:30 PM

2,896 posts, read 1,070,033 times

Advertisements

I mean, in the past, stuff such as gaps, TALEO, purple squirrels, etc, didn't exist because they couldn't screen for it. I can't see how all of this online screening is good at getting good hires, or, indeed, in the end, is best for anything but data mining.

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 03:42 PM

85 posts, read 61,552 times
I'm not really sure what to think.

On one hand using a online screening process helps weed out a lot of the people that don't qualify for the job. That saves a lot of time.

On the other, a lot of people that would be a great fit for the position fall through the cracks. Perhaps a person doesn't have all the experience that is required but if a manager takes a look at their resume, they may see that over all the person is worth talking to and that can lead to great things.

Old 01-23-2018, 05:21 PM

3,754 posts, read 2,119,516 times
Absolutely. I think experience is overrated anyways because more times than not regardless someone is going to have to familiarize themselves with the exact programs the company uses so everyone is generally starting out new. This Purple Squirrel crap needs to end because purple squirrels become extinct and if new people aren't given an opportunity to learn, there is NO future in most of these companies.

Who knows how many potential candidates are passed over because companies would rather do their Automated resume filter nonsense as well. If you can get around those resumes filters (Some people have found how to get through them) and BS in an interview, they could be getting hired over more qualified individuals or just flat out better hires for the job who may have better attitude, work ethic etc.

Face to face time is becoming obsolete and thats where you can really learn about someone

Old 01-23-2018, 05:41 PM

11,118 posts, read 8,523,617 times
Umm...in person hiring? When was that? Even before the internet, they had newspaper ads where you had to mail in a resume. Same process as today, just slower.

Old 01-24-2018, 02:34 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,750 posts, read 54,373,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Umm...in person hiring? When was that? Even before the internet, they had newspaper ads where you had to mail in a resume. Same process as today, just slower.
Our online system is far more efficient, and easier for both the hiring manager and the applicants. Fill in a few fields on the screen, and upload the resume. I can review them on my computer or from home on my tablet as they come in and determine whether to interview or not without ever printing anything. We do not use any kind of pre-screening with automated filters. We are not real big with only 2,000 employees, but our jobs are enough specialized that we rarely get more than 50-100 applicants. It only makes sense to use filtering software if you are inundated with applications or don't really care about getting the best person for the job.

Old 01-24-2018, 02:44 PM

2,243 posts, read 939,785 times
Default Pros vs Cons of the Online Hiring System

]Pros[/b]
  • More efficient processing of resumes
  • Quicker turn around times in job fulfillment process
  • More resume exposure if you use the right keywords

Cons
  • Good candidates can be disregarded because resume doesn't include enough keywords
  • Inefficient front end data entry system for applicants; submit resume and type out all the same information in required data fields
  • Some systems like Taleo aren't well-equipped to handle multiple applications to different positions (i.e. is your Analyst cover letter from a previous application being sent along with the Management job application you just filled out?")

Old 01-24-2018, 02:56 PM

2,243 posts, read 939,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDrums View Post
On the other, a lot of people that would be a great fit for the position fall through the cracks. Perhaps a person doesn't have all the experience that is required but if a manager takes a look at their resume, they may see that over all the person is worth talking to and that can lead to great things.
There are plenty of old stories like that, too. I remember reading one about this CEO at a top management consulting firm who hired this young kid out of college years ago before the online hiring system was a thing. His resume was nothing spectacular, but he interviewed the kid and really liked his story about helping out around the family business and doing what was needed to keep things running.

I mean, what are the chances that between a handful of your top candidates, there is going to be significant differences in performance? At the end of the day, you're taking a chance on the person who you think best fits the needs of your team and organization. And more than likely, all of the candidates would have been an okay choice notwithstanding some major personality deficiency.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:46 PM

2,896 posts, read 1,070,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
]Pros[/b]
  • More efficient processing of resumes
  • Quicker turn around times in job fulfillment process
  • More resume exposure if you use the right keywords

Cons
  • Good candidates can be disregarded because resume doesn't include enough keywords
  • Inefficient front end data entry system for applicants; submit resume and type out all the same information in required data fields
  • Some systems like Taleo aren't well-equipped to handle multiple applications to different positions (i.e. is your Analyst cover letter from a previous application being sent along with the Management job application you just filled out?")
I can add another pro and con:

Before:

Pro: Less resumes coming in

Con: Possibly less of a spectrum of a talent pool

Now:

Pro: Possibly a better spectrum of a talent pool

Con: Now needs to weed through all the people applying from all over just to find the good fits, meaning you could screen out good people by mistake using fancy software and also have a higher risk of getting a bad fit from someone who just used a five second click and applied to it, whereas, when you had to mail in your resume and cover letter, you generally didn't waste ink to send one in if you weren't pretty sure you qualified.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:50 PM

10,058 posts, read 4,648,803 times
people who think the automated system is biased seem to think people were more fair in the past...

FYI, those people were the ones who set the automated screeners, if you can't pass a machine, what makes you think you would pass a person screening your resume?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or