Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 01:57 PM

17,277 posts, read 21,998,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
you looking for some high end sales job without looks and experience?

go to a local car dealer and sell cars, they will hire you

medical devices, better off having a nursing than marketing degree, they want people who used the product before
No actually they want a "hot chick" to get by the gatekeeper and into the Dr's office!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 01:59 PM

3,403 posts, read 3,572,970 times
Sales job sometime require on listening for clue as to how you can maximize your sale. Is not just about what the customer want or need. As a salesman, you have to know how to sell stuffs to your customer even when your customer had no intention on buying them in the first place, and that's what makes it so difficult for sales job.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:59 PM

17,277 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Personality is a big part of sales, so employers look for that when interviewing. I have run into many sales people in real estate, car sales, and RV sales that were retired or switched from something not related to sales.
This is spot on!

I had a college professor that worked full time for Xerox, he pounded the pavement for 9 months without a single sale. Went through boxes of business cards without a single sale. Everyone laughed.....until he put his W2 on the overhead projector. Guy made 350K the previous year selling copy machines......room went silent.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/davehinkes

Apparently he now has a PHD! Great guy and probably the best salesman I have ever met.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:14 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,811,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
An introvert who comes across as meek at job interviews is never going to be a successful salesperson in this day and age, and you will never find a sales job with base pay anywhere without outstanding proven results.

Stop wasting your time chasing this particular pot of gold and find what YOU are actually good at.
How do you know this? Are you speaking from experience?

Old 01-24-2018, 05:03 PM

5,896 posts, read 3,895,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
As a salesman, you have to know how to sell stuffs to your customer even when your customer had no intention on buying them in the first place, and that's what makes it so difficult for sales job.
Trying to sell me something I absolutely do not want or need won't get a salesman very far. Telemarketers do that all the time and down the phone goes.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:05 PM

277 posts, read 306,249 times
I can guarantee that way that you're approaching and performing in your interviews is exponentially more important than your degree.

If you want to be in sales, you first need to learn how to sell yourself to these prospective employers. This should be the easiest thing for you to sell - you know yourself better than you will ever know any product out there! A good salesperson starts by identifying what their prospect (in this case the employer) wants/ needs. They spend a lot of time asking questions, making an inventory of needs, and then showing that prospect how their product aligns best to those needs.

You need to do these things... and treat yourself as the product that you are selling.

What types of sales jobs are you looking for (i.e. - what field)?

Old 01-24-2018, 05:21 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
To encourage you ,I'd say your foundation in marketing can get you thru to the right industry. I worked admin for a sales team. It ranged from a highly energized boss to the genteel persona of a man who had been in the field 40 years. Different styles yet the customer admired each. Ignore the nay Sayers...if it's your desire to make it in sales there are some that do base salary plus commission after hitting a baseline set by your boss.
Medical supply is tight. Gotta know the products and the key buyers. Our industry was network,copiers,repairs. Wasn't uncommon to write up a large sale and the rep being able to cash in a couple grand.
Marketing is spinning the truth to appeal to buyer. Quite a foundation for sales. Good luck and good wishes in sales. It can be lucrative in experience and contacts.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:07 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,184,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Trying to sell me something I absolutely do not want or need won't get a salesman very far. Telemarketers do that all the time and down the phone goes.
Sales is about breaking down walls and getting people to talk in order to acquire information and build relationships. Everyones initial thought and action is NO!!!, even if they don't mean it. A good sales person gets past that initial no. If you can't do that, you have no chance at being a great sales person.

OP

Have you thought about being a service advisor at a new car dealer? I believe they get paid hourly, plus commission. It is more customer service orientated, but you will build some great communication experience dealing with people since you are the middle person between the customer and the techs. Also, you need to sell services that are recommended from the techs, so sales is involved. It would be a good way to learn communication, how to deal with people etc... without being in a super high stressed sales environment with a hard to sell product.

If you want this type of job, dress up nice, go visit dealerships in person and track down the service manager (look them up on their website and call the receptionist first before going to confirm that the person is still working there. Sometimes the websites aren't updated that fast). Approach them, introduce yourself and let them know you are there to talk to them about being hired as a service advisor and would they have a few minutes to talk to you. Even if they say they aren't hiring, tell him/her thats OK, would you still be available to talk about the position, what you look for, answer some questions etc.....

Dealerships are still old school and are one of the last types of companies to see value in people taking initiative like this.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:19 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,566,942 times
I think sales is a natural gift some people just have, it really can't be taught. Dressing the part, having confidence, an outgoing friendly personality, being in shape, good looking... all of those things are 50% of it. Although some of the best salespeople I've ever met were heavy and not sharp dressers... they just were likable and people felt comfortable around them.

The other 50% is knowing how to get someone to close and what it takes to get there, knowing how to read people correctly and identify their needs and wants. If you're an introvert you have no business entering the field. It's not an environment for the timid.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:24 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,811,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyupgrl View Post

What types of sales jobs are you looking for (i.e. - what field)?
I have been looking at B2B sales jobs in areas like Logistics, telecommunications, and software.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment