Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 02:22 PM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,115 times

Advertisements

I'm usually the first at work in the morning (school cafeteria) at 6:00 a.m. I get the coffee made and water heated for tea so it's ready when other co-workers arrive at 6:15. Everyone is nice here. We're all friends.

Where I worked previously, not the case at all. My stomach was in a constant knot. "Dread" was a better word than "cringe". My co-worker was a she-beast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 04:15 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,825,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
That is a really annoying reply. I hate those WOW just WOW answers. Either spit it out or write nothing.
Ok, I'll spit it out. I am astounded how some people actually function and get through life with such negative views of life and of other people. If I had to get up every morning and think the way that post portrays the OP's day, I would take the first bridge. I happen to like the people I work with, and look forward to interacting with them all day.

I guess some of us are happy about life and some of us are just plain old miserable.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:24 PM

37,588 posts, read 45,944,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverblahblah View Post
Where I'm at now, I'm the first one in the office, and I am put in a bad mood as soon as I hear the door open and a coworker walks in. I immediately feel my face contort into a fake smile and I utter out a fake "good morning." Then I just hope he shuts up and doesn't make too much noise.
Oh dear Lord no. My team is darn near family to me. I love them!

Old 01-28-2018, 09:01 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,471,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Ok, I'll spit it out. I am astounded how some people actually function and get through life with such negative views of life and of other people. If I had to get up every morning and think the way that post portrays the OP's day, I would take the first bridge. I happen to like the people I work with, and look forward to interacting with them all day.

I guess some of us are happy about life and some of us are just plain old miserable.
Yes, thats how life is.
I like to work by myself. I prefer it being just me. There is a lot of clicks at work and i have never been part of that. I get along with everybody, but hate being in the middle of Drama. People talk behind each others back, their supposed friends.
Same as HS really. And we talking adults here. But because I am so easy going, nobody have a beef with me....I think....
We have this one girl and for some reason I "love" working with her. She is very nice but she doesn't put up with any BS and will always speak up. She is what I wish to be. I am way too nice.

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 01-28-2018 at 09:31 PM..

Old 01-28-2018, 09:14 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,244,911 times
I work remotely. I do cringe when I see a couple of them log on. One of them gets on and picks through the work and does only the easiest stuff.

The other one "reserves" work for herself. In fact, today she went in and put work "on hold" for herself that she is going to do tomorrow. So anyone who might have been working today and could have gotten to that work couldn't because she saved it for herself. Besides that, she's always watching what everyone else is doing and basically standing guard to make sure no one takes anything she wants. I can relate to the "under a microscope" comment above.

I can work for hours and hours with other coworkers and everything goes smoothly until those two log in.

Last edited by luzianne; 01-28-2018 at 09:28 PM..

Old 01-28-2018, 09:27 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,471,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
I felt that way with one co-worker. When she was in the office, I felt like I was under a microscope. When she was out, I could breath again.
I know what you mean. Were you able to figure out why she was the way she was?

Old 01-29-2018, 05:30 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,985,566 times
I am usually the 1st person in my office too, so by the time some people get to the office, I could be in the middle of something pretty demanding of my attention. A certain colleague is VERY cheery, almost sickly sweet. When she came in an hour later, she would go down the aisle greeting each of us by name in her overly cheery voice. The cheeriness was bad enough, but when you use somebody's name, you're demanding their attention. It drove me crazy. If I was trying to concentrate on something complicated, it could take several minutes to get back into what I was doing. Now she sits a lot closer to the elevator, so I don't have to deal with it.

Old 01-29-2018, 05:40 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,199,897 times
Your attitude is the only thing that you'll ever be able to change. Stop inflicting your misery on others. Change jobs.

Somewhere there is a thread..."Every work day I walk into the office and the first thing I see is Mr/Ms Sour face.....bla, bla, bla,

Old 01-29-2018, 05:48 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,825,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
I am usually the 1st person in my office too, so by the time some people get to the office, I could be in the middle of something pretty demanding of my attention. A certain colleague is VERY cheery, almost sickly sweet. When she came in an hour later, she would go down the aisle greeting each of us by name in her overly cheery voice. The cheeriness was bad enough, but when you use somebody's name, you're demanding their attention. It drove me crazy. If I was trying to concentrate on something complicated, it could take several minutes to get back into what I was doing. Now she sits a lot closer to the elevator, so I don't have to deal with it.

Oh my God, what a horrible human being she is ! Actually friendly, and takes the time to say good morning to everyone, AND USE THEIR NAME !!! I can see why you are so put off by behavior like that, after all, it is so much better to have people leave you alone, not give a damn about you, and not even KNOW your name.

(You would go crazy at our company, we actually bring doughnuts and pastries in for everyone to share, and we had a party for one guy the other day who is leaving !)

Old 01-29-2018, 08:34 AM

2,038 posts, read 4,551,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I know what you mean. Were you able to figure out why she was the way she was?
There were a lot of reasons. I think the most obvious was that at one time, my job was part of her position. As the company got busier and she moved up in the ranks, they decided to hire for my position. Prior to me, there were four others in the position (six year period). Two quit and two were fired. She had no trust in anyone to do "her" work (that was no longer hers). She was reluctant to even train me when I first started and she would often leave out important information. Even when she was out of the office (on vacation), I would get emails from her constantly. For three years, one of my goals on my review was to learn her job and be her back up. For three years, I got called out for not completing this goal. The woman refused to teach me! I mentioned to my office manager that I didn't think this woman trusted me to do anything on my own. My office manager actually agreed and said "you know how she is."

Others in the office often made comments to me about how she talked to me (short and rude) and they were so glad they didn't have to deal with her. Funny, though, we often at the end of the day, would have nice conversations - not about work but about our lives outside of work or things going on (news, events, etc.) and everything would seem like we were normal, easy going office buddies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment