Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 01:45 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times

Advertisements

I get sad on the days my coworkers are all telecommuting. We have a fun "pod" of women in our cubicle area, and on the days we all overlap and are at work together it's a total blast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 08:52 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverblahblah View Post
Where I'm at now, I'm the first one in the office, and I am put in a bad mood as soon as I hear the door open and a coworker walks in. I immediately feel my face contort into a fake smile and I utter out a fake "good morning." Then I just hope he shuts up and doesn't make too much noise.
Ha I did that for 2.5 years until I retired in December.

Lots of nice folks, but also some total dimwits.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:29 AM

1,425 posts, read 1,385,975 times
Yes. On rare days when she takes a day off I feel piece and I'm way more productive. She is not hard to deal with, but we are quite opposite by mindsets, behaviors, exteriors, levels of curiosity to the world, knowledge base, etc., etc. Besides, she is a gossiper and very insecure. I feel like I owe her all the time, while in reality I work and she surfs web.

Old 01-30-2018, 04:44 AM

406 posts, read 559,110 times
No, I'm always the last one to enter.

Old 01-30-2018, 06:18 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Oh my God, what a horrible human being she is ! Actually friendly, and takes the time to say good morning to everyone, AND USE THEIR NAME !!! I can see why you are so put off by behavior like that, after all, it is so much better to have people leave you alone, not give a damn about you, and not even KNOW your name.

(You would go crazy at our company, we actually bring doughnuts and pastries in for everyone to share, and we had a party for one guy the other day who is leaving !)
The OTHER people in my office say good morning, but they don't demand your attention and response.Do you do anything complicated and demanding at your job? Do you like being interrupted just because somebody wants you to know they managed to make it into work?

*I* know my name and I know SHE knows it. She'll use it 10 times in a 5 minute conversation. It's crazy. She's also WAY too cheery, she sounds like she's talking to a toddler or a puppy. This is a professional office, be normal.

I actually like most of the people I work with.

Old 01-30-2018, 06:43 AM

35,054 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I absolutely did at my immediate prior job. I didn't like the job or anyone there. Apparently, the feeling was mutual.

Old 01-30-2018, 06:45 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,805,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverblahblah View Post
That sounds like where I worked once. The wife of the owner had no experience in the field, was basically an ex-stay at home mom, and decided that she would be the office manager and order everyone around. She would clockwatch, nitpicking over someone running literally a minute or two late, and complained constantly about different people in the office, getting some fired. She was a troublemaker. Her husband was a nice guy, but a complete pushover who let her do whatever she wanted.

It was a nice place to work before she entered the picture.

Yeah, it sucks working for businesses where random family members are involved.
This woman is pretty much the same way - she came in after she married the owner and started taking things over. Then she gripes about how much she's having to work. I've never seen anyone act like they work so hard and get so little accomplished.

We recently got a new timekeeping system that requires everyone who isn't salaried to clock in and out. She now sits almost all day watching to see who is clocking in and where they are when they do it. She got one girl that worked here when I started fired and from what the other girls tell me, she seemed fine with the girl just days before she told her husband to get rid of her.

I was unaware of how people felt about her for a while, but from what I can tell, the only person that wants her around is her husband. The rest of us find the place much more peaceful without her. Sad how one person can sour the whole office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
I am usually the 1st person in my office too, so by the time some people get to the office, I could be in the middle of something pretty demanding of my attention. A certain colleague is VERY cheery, almost sickly sweet. When she came in an hour later, she would go down the aisle greeting each of us by name in her overly cheery voice. The cheeriness was bad enough, but when you use somebody's name, you're demanding their attention. It drove me crazy. If I was trying to concentrate on something complicated, it could take several minutes to get back into what I was doing. Now she sits a lot closer to the elevator, so I don't have to deal with it.
In a previous job, I worked with someone who would come in singing "good morning!" It drove me crazy because I'm not a morning person so I would grunt in response. Eventually the two of us became friends and would treat it as a big joke. She'd come in and sing it and I would grunt and we'd laugh.

For the record though, I still don't like dealing with cheerful people in the morning.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:30 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post

In a previous job, I worked with someone who would come in singing "good morning!" It drove me crazy because I'm not a morning person so I would grunt in response. Eventually the two of us became friends and would treat it as a big joke. She'd come in and sing it and I would grunt and we'd laugh.

For the record though, I still don't like dealing with cheerful people in the morning.
I have a different colleague who did that and we joked around about it. I told she could either say "good morning" in a normal voice, or "morning" in a really cheerful voice. But not both.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:48 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
There are a couple of people who make me cringe but I'm mostly indifferent. What really makes me cringe is when people have teleconferences on speakerphone. THAT is annoying. I'm listening to one right now.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:21 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Ok, I'll spit it out. I am astounded how some people actually function and get through life with such negative views of life and of other people. If I had to get up every morning and think the way that post portrays the OP's day, I would take the first bridge. I happen to like the people I work with, and look forward to interacting with them all day.

I guess some of us are happy about life and some of us are just plain old miserable.

You don't really know OP's story to make such sweeping judgements.

Actually OP, I was wondering...do you work in a small office, and it's one PARTICULAR co-worker who annoys you, or are you saying it could be ANY coworker walking in the door, and that sets the mood?

At any rate, I can maybe relate. If I had the entire department to myself for say an hour before everyone else shows up, I think maybe I'd be less than thrilled when the next person walks in the door. It can be nice to get work done in peace and quiet that you didn't otherwise have. No interruptions, maybe listen to your music WITHOUT headphones for a while, etc.

And then the next person walks in, and the reality of the day is starting. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment