Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 08:44 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times

Advertisements

I prefer to have as many of the people at work show up. We get more done that way. I cringe when people call out. Luckily it seldom happens any more. We did have this one guy that would play the build up game. That is a game where he would start to say that he was not feeling good. He had a cold coming on or something. Or maybe he back was starting to hurt. Anyway, it has different variations. The next day he would come in a little bit worse off, but still work, sort of. The next day he would come in and let us all know that he tried but he will have to go home because he is too sick to work. That guy played that game for over 30 years on and off.

We had another guy that found the Doctor that would give him time off. This guy worked for us for 8 years and he would work long enough to get on disability for something. He used to complain that he never got a raise. I thought in my mind, "why give you a raise your hardly ever here."

Another thing he said was that he will never get fired because no one gets fired that is on disability. Eventually he messed up bad and we let him go. So what does he do? He gets a job at another area hospital. Good for him. He learned his lesson right? Like many industries plenty of people know people at the competing companies. Same in healthcare. We hired a guy that worked with him at the other hospital. Within a year of working there he had found a way to get on disability again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 09:07 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,131 times
No. I do not hate my coworkers. Some of them I really like; we go out for beer after work, feed their dogs while they are on vacation, invited at parties or just hung out with. My boss is probably the best I ever had and we, as a group I mean, have a very healthy and professional relationship. There are a few weirdos in the building, of course, every work place has these, but I tend to think of them like the salt and pepper of the work place. After all, life wouldn't be so interesting without these people, right?

Old 01-30-2018, 09:14 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,557,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
So I think I take the cake here!!

I felt this way at my last job. I really liked my co-worker actually, but we were in a very small office (only 4 of us) and she got the lap band procedure done; however, she still ate the same which made her constantly throw up. And she did it in her garbage can in her office!!! I could hear her doing it!! It was DISGUSTING!!!!!!!

Anyway, my boss lived in another state and we didn't have an office supervisor. We all decided to talk to her. She didn't realize we could hear and smell it!! GROSS! I moved to another state shortly after so I was done dealing with it, but YES I cringed in the morning when she came in!!
I about doubled over from laughing when I read this! All I could think about is if it had been my wife sitting in your place, she would have been throwing up in her garbage can. Just the sound of someone throwing up sets off her tummy too!

Old 01-30-2018, 12:01 PM

1,104 posts, read 919,622 times
Working like that is pointless and I wouldn't tolerate it. But I used to hate everyone at work myself and it took a whole lot of mistakes, errors, and difficult periods before learning, the key to work is respect:

Respect for the environment: washing and cleaning up after yourself, keeping your desk or area clean, leaving things in a good presentable state.

Respect for your job: treating information carefully, talking to other companies or professionals politely, asking for help, actually paying attention.

Respect for others, being approachable, not overstepping your boundaries, ignore them when they're having a tantrum or meltdown (it happens)

And most 1000% importantly, respect for yourself, being presentable, able to work by yourself, standing up for yourself when someone - anyone else - violates professional boundaries.

It's not a question of what you can get away with, or kissing butt to get to the top, it is about appreciating the concept of respect.

Quote:

I felt this way at my last job. I really liked my co-worker actually, but we were in a very small office (only 4 of us) and she got the lap band procedure done; however, she still ate the same which made her constantly throw up. And she did it in her garbage can in her office!!! I could hear her doing it!! It was DISGUSTING!!!!!!!

Anyway, my boss lived in another state and we didn't have an office supervisor. We all decided to talk to her. She didn't realize we could hear and smell it!! GROSS! I moved to another state shortly after so I was done dealing with it, but YES I cringed in the morning when she came in!!
ooooooookay that is a case of getting another job.

Old 01-30-2018, 02:37 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
No, because I actually like my colleagues - and people in general, since I'm a fairly sociable person. We're also all coming and going at different times, so it's not like there is some WHOOSH of arrival at XX:00. Not to mention, if I'm ever the first one at work, we have officially entered bizarro world.

Old 01-30-2018, 04:37 PM

58 posts, read 6,136 times
I have definitely had to deal with this with past jobs. Some of them made the workplace one of the most uncomfortable EVER. One of the jobs I had, I sat in a larger style cube with my supervisor...she was one of the most miserable people ever put on this planet. I was a lot younger than, so I needed the money and the job wasn't the worst, so I dealt with it. Things took a turn for the worst and I eventually ended up getting fired, thankfully with severance. Everyone knew that she was the one that needed to be fired, not me. A few years later I found out that she had died of breast cancer. I actually felt bad considering how awful she made the year and half I worked with her.

Since I am older now - I have become a consultant and don't have to be in these situations any longer. Because of health issues I only work part time. I am quite sure that a lot of my anxiety and introversion stems from being in large offices with many types of people.

Old 01-30-2018, 04:37 PM

343 posts, read 229,649 times
Yes, but I'm cursed with having a low tolerance for background noise. Coworkers who play music- especially if I don't like it distract me and my productivity drops down. Go in early or stay late is my MO. Perhaps it's because we are so overworked but people treat jobs like little parties now, using "outside voices" and needing music, noisy snack bags, and youtube videos.

That year the goat screaming youtube vid was viral was terrible!

Old 01-30-2018, 04:40 PM

58 posts, read 6,136 times
Quote:

WOW! That is awful!

Old 01-30-2018, 07:13 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,115,163 times
LOL I'm sorry I have to interject something. As an extrovert I find your posts darkly funny. You introverts have no idea the benefits you are missing put on by being friendly and personable with your co-workers.

Case in point. Just one of many examples I have. Years ago I put in a request to take some time of because my fiance was going to have a surgery done. My boss dropped by my office and asked me why the request. I told him. He said don't waste my PTO on it. Just "work from home" while I'm in the hospital.

We operate on the philosophy that a happy employee is a productive employee. It sounds to me like you guys are pretty angry on the inside, hating your co-workers like that. I'm so glad I'm not an introvert.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:29 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,257,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverblahblah View Post
Where I'm at now, I'm the first one in the office, and I am put in a bad mood as soon as I hear the door open and a coworker walks in. I immediately feel my face contort into a fake smile and I utter out a fake "good morning." Then I just hope he shuts up and doesn't make too much noise.
Aren’t you a ray of sunshine! WTH is wrong with you that you feel this way? What, you can’t find it within yourself to be civil to your coworkers without being a phony about it?

Seriously, you need help. Either that or you need to move to a deserted island where no one can put you in a bad mood.

BTW....no one puts you in a bad mood. You do that yourself because you choose that path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment