Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 06:19 PM

29 posts, read 25,020 times

Advertisements

I’m going to say no. I have seen many overweight secretaries and administrative assistants. As long as you’re dressed nice and professionally - show you have confidence and skill.

It’s sad that some people are very shallow. That’s their problem - don’t let it get to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 06:44 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
I think it would be harder. But the solution is simple. Lose a 100lbs. The bonus is it'll improve your health and love life.

Old 01-27-2018, 06:47 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Re-read the original article in the link:

The OP being 500 pounds or not is irrelevant.

A woman being overweight, and 100 pounds is not small change, CAN face discrimination in the hiring process. She may make it to the interview stage, but there IS a chance her weight will be held against her.

Anyone that denies this or tries to P.C. sugarcoat things in order to make people feel better, are probably the same ones that think age or race doesn't matter in hiring either.

This is the reality of the world we live in.

The OP may be fine getting hired, she may not, but as she has asked for our opinions, all opinions are fair game good or bad.
I understand all that. I am saying the 'stats' are no good because they are based on a 'study' with only pictures.

Old 01-27-2018, 07:05 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,144,961 times
Frankly in our "me too" culture right now it might be easier for you to find a job than some skinny model.

Old 01-27-2018, 07:10 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times
Quote:
It's got nothing to do with society being shallow and superficial
Sure it does. 9 times out of 10 who are employers going to pick? The more overweight, more experienced, more qualified employee or the "pretty young person" with less experience and less qualified? Yea.. The pretty one who will turn heads. . Male or female.

hiring managers also may not only be looking for just "employees". They could be looking for a "squeeze" as well.

I can't tell you how many brainless bimbos Ive seen in office positions who it was OBVIOUS they only got there because of their appearance. It sure had nothing to do with brains or qualifications. Thats for sure. Ive heard stories of companies (on here in fact) during mass layoffs, not letting go of ONE attractive younger female employee? Hmmmm?? Coincidence???... Yea right.

Appearance/Charisma/Social Likability is much more important than things like.... Experience, Qualifications, Value these days in most places etc.

Last edited by DorianRo; 01-27-2018 at 07:22 PM..

Old 01-27-2018, 07:38 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,994,776 times
Regardless, you need a job, so keep going 'til you get a yes. Besides, if your fear were true, that means every person you see who is 100-lbs overweight is unemployed & that's not true. Forget statistics or studies or magazine articles that will defeat you. Forge ahead, get your job & best of luck getting healthier & losing your weight! Be a winner... you can do it.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:48 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Yes. They'll find some other reason to reject your application, but you will definitely lose equal standing against other applicants.

Basically, just like women have learned, and what people of color have learned - you will have to be far better than other applicants, just to be on equal footing. Sad, but true.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:55 PM

99 posts, read 82,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamonaSun View Post
I’m going to say no. I have seen many overweight secretaries and administrative assistants. As long as you’re dressed nice and professionally - show you have confidence and skill.

It’s sad that some people are very shallow. That’s their problem - don’t let it get to you.
I agree; losing the weight or not is your personal issue, but as for getting hired, I've seen all types for desk positions. Thing is, it's still a horrible job market, so people are more prone to going for looks. That doesn't mean you should give up because there are good, rational employers. It took me very long after my last job to find a decent employer again, but I did a few months ago.

Stay strong and never give up!

Old 01-27-2018, 09:07 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,018,259 times
No, I work with tons of overweight people in administration services. I see tons of overweight people in many office jobs. Hospitals are full of obese health care workers.
Unless you're applying to places that need good looking people for their brand, I'm sure you will find something. Just be the friendly fat person. Everyone likes them, don't be the sourpuss ones.
Ime, fat people are so worried about being judged when really, unless you're like 400 lbs or extremely slovenly, it's like this... I notice you're fat, I may stare for a minute if you have a disproportionate body, like an extremely huge butt. But then I move on with my life.
The only negative is that you will have use your personality skills more.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:30 PM

405 posts, read 572,908 times
It depends on the hiring manager, but generally speaking by being overweight you are at a disadvantage. People are very superficial. My friends boss takes out his other direct report frequently and has never taken her out to lunch, she works 10-12 hour days and is also 100 lbs. overweight. I told her directly she should lose some weight because he may just not like overweight people. Sad but it happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment