Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 05:13 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,062,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Why is it taking you so long? Have your resume in one screen and cut and paste into the online boxes. Under 30 minute at most.
That particular site would not allow a copy and paste the way it is set up. When you copy it and then hit paste, nothing happens, cause the site is set up in such a way, that you cannot paste into the boxes. Basically you have to click on certain calendar dates, but the dates keep resetting, each time.

Another thing about online applications compared to giving resumes in person, whenever I go to a building to give a resume in person, I will ask to speak to the manager if possible, the manager comes out, I then happily introduce myself and that I am interested in the positions, and that I just wanted to tell him/her, and then I will show them the resume.

I almost always got a call back, when I did that.

However, since a lot of places now, only want online applications, I have hardly even gotten callbacks compared to handing a resume to the manager in person. I guess I am just much better at selling myself in person, since I can actually talk and all, instead of filling in boxes with certain words and all that.

Every job I have gotten was in person handing of the resume, and that is probably how I am still going to keep getting it, since I haven't had any luck with call backs on online applications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 05:20 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,110,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
All data you input can be separately matched with jobs. Every segment (keywords) you input into database is read and sorted by electronic readers/scanners. Everything is automated nowadays. If you resume is matched by the keyword-searchable database, you will be contacted. Employers depend on keywords to find the job candidates they want to interview. Most employers search the databases of third-party job-posting and resume-posting boards on the Internet.
If you post it online, humans don't read it anymore. Sophisticated software search those databases for specific keywords that relate to job vacancies.
It's hard to match a resume as a whole.

The bottom line is that if you apply for a job with a company that searches databases for keywords, and your resume doesn't have the keywords the company seeks for the person who fills that job, you are pretty much out of luck.

You can try to speed the process by saving a print screen of your resume for future use. Then just copy/paste the content of each box to new resume website.

Lots of helpful info about how to post the best resume you can find here.
https://www.livecareer.com/wp-conten...-worksheet.pdf
https://www.livecareer.com/career/ad...sume/e-resumes

Good luck!
Proves that people who can create great resumes and applications but don't have the skills have more chance to be selected than people who have the skills to do the job, but can't create the perfect resume
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment