U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 07:47 AM

6,182 posts, read 8,653,627 times

Advertisements

I have been applying for jobs within a large school district. I work for an agency on campus and have some great connections and references from district employees. I have been applying for jobs since last summer. It's taken me until December for my resume to be noticed.

Per one of my contacts she said "Well at least 75 people apply for one of these jobs, keep trying." So, I have. Anyway. I have had three interviews in the last month for jobs. All the interviews, I felt went very well. I have asked the usual questions, is this a new position, am I replacing someone and even how many people are you interviewing? On one of my interviews one of the people on the panel even said, "Your resume is very impressive and went on to gush about it." Another interviewer even said, "She's being humble, she's done this, this and this..." because she is one of the references I have.

In two of the three interviews I was told that they were just interviewing three people, so a 33% chance of getting the job. Anyway. The first job I get an automatic reply rejection letter. Through my connections I find out that someone within the district has gotten the job. So, I find out that this second job was replacing the person who got the first job over me. Well isn't that something? The second interview was the one where they were gushing over my resume. I got a call from the person who commented on my resume, yesterday, stating they hired someone internally.

The third position, has been taken off the website but I still haven't gotten any response. I have learned, again, through my connections, that the supervisors for this position have had some things come up holding up the decision making process. Well, that's good, I guess. So not response on that one yet. But, at this point, I'm not expecting any type of good response because I was told at that interview that they were interviewing people internally as well.

So, why in the world, if they know they are going to hire internally do they not just post these jobs internally to their staff? I have seen several posted as internal. It's just really annoying that I put in all this work and then find out someone in the district has gotten the job. I am looking at other districts, but I feel as though my experience within the district and connections make a good fit for them. Any advice other than just laying in front of someone's door begging and pleading to get into the district? These jobs pay about 20k more than I'm making and have great benefits too. I am getting paid, right now, about $10k more than other comparable non-profit partner agencies in the area, so leaving for another is out of the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 08:20 AM

17,267 posts, read 10,194,544 times
I think only private companies are not bound by any laws to post internally first.

Government, civil service, or contract type jobs usually have to post internally first.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:32 AM

9,662 posts, read 4,556,288 times
She's not asking why they post internally but why they post externally if they prefer to hire internal.

There may be legal requirements to post the job publicly.

They may not know in advance if they will get qualified internal candidates.

They may not have the time to go through the posting and interviewing process for internal and external consecutively so they do it concurrently.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
She's not asking why they post internally but why they post externally if they prefer to hire internal.

They may not have the time to go through the posting and interviewing process for internal and external consecutively so they do it concurrently.
This is what I am asking and my conundrum. They know they'll get quality internal candidates. Why even bother with external? And FWIW, this is a public, state and federally funded independent school district.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:14 AM

9,778 posts, read 16,979,525 times
An internal candidate should be a stronger candidate, but that does not mean that an internal candidate automatically gets the job. Everyone there had to be an external candidate at some point in time.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:40 AM

3,881 posts, read 3,027,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I have been applying for jobs within a large school district. I work for an agency on campus and have some great connections and references from district employees. I have been applying for jobs since last summer. It's taken me until December for my resume to be noticed.

Per one of my contacts she said "Well at least 75 people apply for one of these jobs, keep trying." So, I have. Anyway. I have had three interviews in the last month for jobs. All the interviews, I felt went very well. I have asked the usual questions, is this a new position, am I replacing someone and even how many people are you interviewing? On one of my interviews one of the people on the panel even said, "Your resume is very impressive and went on to gush about it." Another interviewer even said, "She's being humble, she's done this, this and this..." because she is one of the references I have.

In two of the three interviews I was told that they were just interviewing three people, so a 33% chance of getting the job. Anyway. The first job I get an automatic reply rejection letter. Through my connections I find out that someone within the district has gotten the job. So, I find out that this second job was replacing the person who got the first job over me. Well isn't that something? The second interview was the one where they were gushing over my resume. I got a call from the person who commented on my resume, yesterday, stating they hired someone internally.

The third position, has been taken off the website but I still haven't gotten any response. I have learned, again, through my connections, that the supervisors for this position have had some things come up holding up the decision making process. Well, that's good, I guess. So not response on that one yet. But, at this point, I'm not expecting any type of good response because I was told at that interview that they were interviewing people internally as well.

So, why in the world, if they know they are going to hire internally do they not just post these jobs internally to their staff? I have seen several posted as internal. It's just really annoying that I put in all this work and then find out someone in the district has gotten the job. I am looking at other districts, but I feel as though my experience within the district and connections make a good fit for them. Any advice other than just laying in front of someone's door begging and pleading to get into the district? These jobs pay about 20k more than I'm making and have great benefits too. I am getting paid, right now, about $10k more than other comparable non-profit partner agencies in the area, so leaving for another is out of the question.
Its not clear to me, but if you are talking about a "Govt" job there may be rules stating they have to post the job externally before or even at the same time as posting the job internally. Lots of Govt positions are already taken or the boss has someone in mind before that job gets posted any where.

You can grin and bear it or try sucking up to the decision makers.

Old 02-01-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Its not clear to me, but if you are talking about a "Govt" job there may be rules stating they have to post the job externally before or even at the same time as posting the job internally. Lots of Govt positions are already taken or the boss has someone in mind before that job gets posted any where.

You can grin and bear it or try sucking up to the decision makers.
I stated in an above post its an independent school district.

Old 02-01-2018, 02:10 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,716,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I think only private companies are not bound by any laws to post internally first.

Government, civil service, or contract type jobs usually have to post internally first.
For gov jobs we often have to advertise and compete the position. I've several time had to compete for my own job.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:22 PM

8,945 posts, read 8,403,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
For gov jobs we often have to advertise and compete the position. I've several time had to compete for my own job.
It varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, and sometimes from agency to agency within the jurisdiction. Some places have to advertise, others donít.

Some hiring managers know who they are going to hire even if they have to advertise, others donít. My personal preference is to hire the best available candidate. Somet8nrs that is internal, sometimes it isnít. I usually donít know until I have conducted interviews.

You never know what will happen for sure, but if you donít play the game by applying, you will never get the job.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post

Some hiring managers know who they are going to hire even if they have to advertise, others donít. My personal preference is to hire the best available candidate. Somet8nrs that is internal, sometimes it isnít. I usually donít know until I have conducted interviews.
In addition to all this, the panel doesn't even make the decision. They take notes, turn it in to HR and HR decides who to hire. So, even if we had a great conversation, if it's not on the notes it didn't count. So, even if they loved the candidate, in the end HR decides. I wonder if internal candidates get extra points or something. It's just frustrating more than anything. I'm really putting all my eggs in this basket and not targeting any other jobs (was basically offered two medical positions that I passed on and another that wa a 10k pay cut from where I'm at now).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or