Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 06:06 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,886 times

Advertisements

If you're going to put it on your resume, being at a job for under a year looks bad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 06:22 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
It's worse to get fired and have that as the reason for leaving.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:27 AM

811 posts, read 622,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
Just leave this job (the one you're quitting) off your resume when you search for future jobs. No reason to even mention it.
Wow.
That would be incredibly deceptive.

It's called "work history" for a reason. It's completely unethical to pick and choose what "history" one will include when a future employer asks for previous jobs. As an employer I want to know every paid position one has held.

As for anyone advising the OP not to quit before she has another job: Obviously with her record she doesn't have to work.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:44 AM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Always better to quit sooner than later with an absolutely miserable job. Like within the first week.

This way you don't even have to mention it on resume or interviews.

And this is also why I stress over and over and over how important it is to leave your former employer on good terms. So many 'heroes' out there want to quit a job without giving a proper two week notice (with the lame excuse that employers wouldn't give a two week notice when letting someone go), or leaving by talking smack about everyone and everything during the exit interview.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:45 AM

62 posts, read 106,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
Wow.
That would be incredibly deceptive.

It's called "work history" for a reason. It's completely unethical to pick and choose what "history" one will include when a future employer asks for previous jobs. As an employer I want to know every paid position one has held.
Sorry but that's completely false. The point of a resume is to highlight one's relevant skills/experience in an attempt to market one's self to a prospective employer. There's nothing unethical about omitting positions that aren't applicable or noteworthy (in this case, having a job for only a few weeks). Putting every paid position you've ever held on your resume would just be ridiculous.

The only time a composite work history is required is during background checks for employment verification, and even then most background checking agencies keep specific details regarding the candidate confidential to the employer.

Last edited by flynnroc; 02-03-2018 at 06:56 AM..

Old 02-03-2018, 07:02 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,729 times
I wouldn't quit until I found another job. There is a very good reason for that fact, other than income.

I am always more relaxed, and do better on interviews, when I don't need a job. On applications when Im asked why I left a position, "found a position to grow my skills and expand my interests" looks better than, "hated it! Just couldn't stand the place."

Best wishes!

Old 02-03-2018, 07:09 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynnroc View Post
Sorry but that's completely false. The point of a resume is to highlight one's relevant skills/experience in an attempt to market one's self to a prospective employer. There's nothing unethical about omitting positions that aren't applicable or noteworthy (in this case, having a job for only a few weeks). Putting every paid position you've ever held on your resume would just be ridiculous.

The only time a composite work history is required is during background checks for employment verification, and even then most background checking agencies keep specific details regarding the candidate confidential to the employer.
This is correct. The general rule of thumb on a resume is list the past 10 years, unless you are applying at one of the Government alphabet agencies like NSA.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:31 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Basically I got a new job and I hate it and want to quit but I was told by friends that it looks bad to quit after a few weeks, cause it's like they trained me for nothing. I just started but I was told that I should quit right away, rather than wait a few weeks, cause it would look better.

But what do you think?
Yup, your current employer will be annoyed. But in reality, these things happen. Sometimes, people don't even show up on the first day. Or leave after the first day (or even a few hours).

In the end, they will get over it. Now, this action may come back and bite you. You may no longer be eligible for rehire with this company. And if the industry is small enough, you may cross paths again with folks involved here and they may still remember.

But the decision is yours on whether its worth that risk. In most cases, new jobs will offer challenges, and it can be stressful. I don't know if you are just unwilling to deal with the challenge, or if this place is really not a fit for you. Again, that's something you need to determine.

But people walking out on the first day or quit after a few days is certainly not unheard of.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:36 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
From reading another of your posts that showed up with this one, it looks like you might benefit from some career counseling. I don't know where you are or what your background is, so I can only make suggestions.

Around here, we have career centers that were set up for high school students, but who also have adult education programs. If those are available in your area, you might try contacting one of them to see if they have advisors that might help you find your "niche". That would probably be the least expensive route to go. Another option would be to check into local community colleges or technical institutes.

You might have to put up with a "job" you don't like while preparing for a "career" you are happy with. Do not, however waste your time (and the instructors offering training) to try to prepare for something you will hate.
+1.

And that's putting it nicely...

Old 02-03-2018, 07:47 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
While quitting so soon isn't the best thing to do, sometimes you gotta do what your heart tells you.

A couple of years ago I took a promotion in our company to another division.....totally different kind of work than I have always done. After a week I knew I hated it, and at the 10 day mark I went in and said " I have never done this in my life, but I am not doing you any favors either, as I really am not a good fit for this job." They understood, and released me.

I called my old boss at my old division, and he gladly took me back that day. I realize now I made the right decision and the other division was able to find a guy who is still there today. Sometimes you have to cut your losses and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment