Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 05:03 PM

795 posts, read 1,009,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Is it a bad or good idea to be upfront in interviews about vacations you already have booked?
Yes don't delay, It should be brought to the attention of the recruiter so they can inform the hiring manager to check for any conflicts. Most will work with you to accommodate your planned time off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 05:13 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
The OP did not state whether he currently had a job while interviewing for a different job or whether he was unemployed or very underemployed. A person's current job status makes a big difference, IMO, in how flexible or demanding you can be when interviewing for a new job.

If you've got a decent job already, but are just shopping around for something that you might like a little better, then you can be pretty darn independent and demanding. OTOH, if you're unemployed or very much UNDERemployed, I don't see the logic in jeopardizing a job that you really want and NEED just because of some planned vacation.

Besides, if you're not working or just barely getting by, how are you going to pay for a vacation anyway? To me, paying for food, rent, utilities, car payments, and other essentials takes precedence over vacations, but maybe that thinking is just old fashioned.
Old fashioned? No. Irrelevant? Yes. Not once did OP bring this concern up. So I would assume that it’s not an issue.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:16 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
I've seen it requested a few times and it's not a good idea because people will question your background and ability.

For someone to earn a paid week vacation within 1-2 month starting, they have to be really good or well connected to have something like this accepted.

Usually this is someone who has privilege at the job. So it's often looked down upon.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:01 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I've seen it requested a few times and it's not a good idea because people will question your background and ability.

For someone to earn a paid week vacation within 1-2 month starting, they have to be really good or well connected to have something like this accepted.

Usually this is someone who has privilege at the job. So it's often looked down upon.
Often it is accepted that they would take it unpaid rather than paid. Well, unless the company allows it to be that...

Old 02-07-2018, 10:02 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Bring it up when they extend a job offer. That's what I did when I was called and offered the job and they wanted to discuss a start date. I told them I had a vacation planned and it was no problem. I didn't have any PTO accumulated, but they let me take the time without pay.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:25 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
The OP did not state whether he currently had a job while interviewing for a different job or whether he was unemployed or very underemployed. A person's current job status makes a big difference, IMO, in how flexible or demanding you can be when interviewing for a new job.

If you've got a decent job already, but are just shopping around for something that you might like a little better, then you can be pretty darn independent and demanding. OTOH, if you're unemployed or very much UNDERemployed, I don't see the logic in jeopardizing a job that you really want and NEED just because of some planned vacation.

Besides, if you're not working or just barely getting by, how are you going to pay for a vacation anyway? To me, paying for food, rent, utilities, car payments, and other essentials takes precedence over vacations, but maybe that thinking is just old fashioned.
Agreed. A couple of years ago, I had a few jobs I had to tell during the interview phase because I had to move for them and the trip was coming up fast. I had already paid for the trip. It might have stopped me from getting the jobs, but oh well. I had a job that was fine.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:49 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
OP, I wouldn't mention it during an interview. I would wait until I knew they were seriously considering me. I don't see the point in mentioning it during an interview because that might be the last time I ever see that company again.

Quote:
Whatever happened to the idea that getting a job that you want and need takes precedence over almost anything else? Then you can schedule vacations and time off as permitted by the new job. It seems that too many people today have the notion that they'll go to work for someone as long as the work doesn't interfere with their vacation schedule.
And what if someone is out to recruit you?

What if you already made the plans and they want to offer you a job?

One time I had been planning my wedding and I was suddenly laid-off. I actually interviewed somewhere a day or two later. She offered me the job basically on the spot and I told her I'd have to start the week after because actually, my wedding was that coming weekend and the week after that I was going on my cheapskate honeymoon. She was fine with that.

Quote:

Most underemployed or unemployed people aren't scheduling vacations. I am sure some are but most are not. OP didn't say anything about THAT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

Everywhere I have worked it has NEVER been an issue.

I started a second job recently and told them, after they offered me the position, that I already had three vacations scheduled for the year. Two of them aren't until much later in the year but one was coming up. Part of this was on them because I was supposed to be hired much earlier than I had been. The other part is that this job is not a necessity for me---I am not hard up for cash.

Anyway, for my field they want experience and you need to have a state license. They are always crying about a shortage. So you work with me and I'll work with you. It helps that I have a good reputation and that I have experience in nearly all aspects within my field.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:52 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
I would only disclose it at the offer stage. If it was more than a week, I'd reschedule the vacation.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:45 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Initial phone interview(s)

In person interview(s)

Offer

Negotiation - including preplanned vacation time

Acceptance

Start

Doing it before an offer is provided is premature, and doing it after accepting the position is disingenuous if it’s within the first few months and/or extensive.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:15 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Is it a bad or good idea to be upfront in interviews about vacations you already have booked?
I had that situation at a job with a major corporation where I had booked a ski Utah vacation. Fortunately the person who was to be my boss was a skier, too, so it worked out. I just explained the money was spent already and I was not willing to blow off a $grand a month after I started. I was exempt at the time so I worked it off in "Casual Overtime".
Oh, BTW, I mentioned it at an interview before they committed to hiring me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment