Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 06:17 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times

Advertisements

I prefer two phones. I actually brought this up in a team meeting, and to my surprise, it was quickly actioned.

I'm only part of an on-call rotation so only carry it the week I'm on-call. We were given MiFi devices for data, but were expected to use our personal phones to call end users. I have an out of area number. A lot of people will not even pick up for my number. Also, if you're calling someone, it's easy for an end user to get your personal # and the next time they have an issue, bypass the support desk and call you directly. I didn't have that problem, but it could very well happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 06:58 AM

961 posts, read 2,026,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
I never carry a work only phone. I have one cell phone for both. It's not worth the pain of carrying two.

Regarding the articles just posted, I am not going to carry two phones out of fear of litigation. In the off chance that happens, I don't have anything to hide. I would just deal with the annoyance of having my phone confiscated for a bit
This is where I am, and again, I'm not disputing that work "can monitor everything you do". Just that at least for us, while they can, they're not actively. Seriously, there's not an IT team sitting around reading my sports DMs on instagram after Premier League games, nor are they monitoring whatsapp group chats when we're planning which restaurant to meet at in that new neighborhood. I'm thinking where people fall on this is highly situational on the industry and the type of organization one works for.

For me not worth the mental space of two phones on me all the time, it's just become a cognitive overload--like on vacation, i had some photos on this phone, some on that phone....etc.

By the way, is there an app that can mirror or forward notifications from one phone to another? I've heard of pushbullet, but not sure if does ios to android.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:59 AM

407 posts, read 370,174 times
One other consideration - should you drop your personal phone and go with just one work-supplied phone, if you leave the company for any reason, you may have to re-shuffle all your contacts, apps, etc. to a new personal (or new work) phone.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:01 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
I WOULD NOT WANT CLIENTS HAVING MY PERSONAL PHONE NUMBER!!

If you change professions or if it just gets out of hand with clients calling you at all hours of the day or night you will wish you had two separate phone lines! Unless you don’t mind your phone ringing 24/7 and never having that work/life balance! I like to keep my work life and personal life separate! Is it a pain having 2 phones? Sometimes, but it’s nice to turn off the work phone while on vacation, nights, weekends, etc. I can always check the messages when needed.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:01 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,575,584 times
When I do, I always use my personal phone unless I have some exceptional reason to use my work phone for personal reason, such as an emergency. Most of the time, I would keep the work phone for work related. This way, no one can come and talk about me using the work phone for personal use. I don't need that kind of crap in my life.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAviaCA View Post
One other consideration - should you drop your personal phone and go with just one work-supplied phone, if you leave the company for any reason, you may have to re-shuffle all your contacts, apps, etc. to a new personal (or new work) phone.
I'm thinking of just downgrading my personal android to a barebones plan. Or just keeping it wi-fi only. Thing is with Google Contacts, your contacts sync across devices.

And using IFTTT backing up is easy.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I WOULD NOT WANT CLIENTS HAVING MY PERSONAL PHONE NUMBER!!

If you change professions or if it just gets out of hand with clients calling you at all hours of the day or night you will wish you had two separate phone lines! Unless you don’t mind your phone ringing 24/7, but I like to keep my work life and personal life separate!
This is a fair and important point.

In some situations, you're not dealing with clients though. I've had a work phone for 3 years and I've only been called on it for something work related outside of business hours like twice.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:20 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
This is a fair and important point.

In some situations, you're not dealing with clients though. I've had a work phone for 3 years and I've only been called on it for something work related outside of business hours like twice.
If I'm at work, people can call me on the office phone. There is no need for them to have my personal cell number.

My manager and a few coworkers have my personal cell. If someone in my department truly needs something after hours, someone is sick, etc., I don't mind talking to them on my personal phone. I'm not unreasonable. With that said, I don't want my personal number being sticky-noted on desks and passed around to what is essentially the general public to me.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:24 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
I think we're getting off track: The most severe issue is not ephemeral voice conversations. Rather, the most severe issues is company data. That's TXT/SMS and email. The "problem" is that if you give a company your mobile phone number, they can thereby send you a TXT/SMS and perhaps even email (i.e., xxx-xxx-xxxx@vtext.net or something like that).

Old 02-08-2018, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
If I'm at work, people can call me on the office phone. There is no need for them to have my personal cell number.

My manager and a few coworkers have my personal cell. If someone in my department truly needs something after hours, someone is sick, etc., I don't mind talking to them on my personal phone. I'm not unreasonable. With that said, I don't want my personal number being sticky-noted on desks and passed around to what is essentially the general public to me.
Do you have a land-line or just a mobile?

Because if you only have a mobile, doesn't it essentially double as your de facto contact #, which means it's used to register for ID, it's in records, credit report, bank, used at work even as your 'alternate contact', etc etc?

If you have a land-line then yes, this separation is indeed possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment