Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 07:57 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,559,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmooky View Post
If it isn’t a position that requires a CPA license, she could very well be a highly competent bookkeeper who deserved her promotion, or they’re training her concurrently with her education. Don’t make any assumptions, it’s not your business to worry about her or anyone else there. A degree isn’t everything, and even if it is nepotism that got her that job what good is it to bring it up?

The only one who gets hurt by this line of inquiry is you. Keep your head down and move on with polite conversation and NO speculation.
This is one of the best comment I ever seen. Do what you have to do and keep your prejudice to yourself. I really like this. Not that many people with this kind of mindset out there these day. It seems like everyone is getting into others business as to why this or that happen without knowing the full background. Even with full knowledge of their background, so what. Like Schmooky said, "what good is it to bring it up"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 08:41 AM

6,453 posts, read 7,758,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Throughout my career I've seen dozens of instances of the following:

1) People with Bachelor's/Master's/Doctorate degrees who are absolute morons
2) People with only a high school diploma who are sharp, kick-arse employees

Gordon Gecko said it best: Most of these Harvard MBA types - they don't add up to dogsh.... Give me guys that are poor, smart, hungry.
I've seen instances of the above too but don't get carried away now. You'll find exceptions but the truth is that many people with limited education refuse to accept that those with a higher level of education are a higher caliber professional. And (with limited exceptions) those that attend a higher caliber university are of higher caliber professionally than those who attend lower caliber one's.

It's always amusing when people quote from a fictional movie to make a point that is based on reality. Gordon Gecko was a movie character, and that quote is from a script that a professional writer came up with for entertainment purposes. Moreover, that character was a criminal remember? That's why the character preferred those that had few options and could be manipulated.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:47 AM

34,932 posts, read 31,062,157 times
I try not to look at degrees. Many employers require them for certain positions, but unless you went to a great school where simply getting through the program is a sign of competence/smarts, it really isn't a predictor of much.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:55 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,163,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I try not to look at degrees. Many employers require them for certain positions, but unless you went to a great school where simply getting through the program is a sign of competence/smarts, it really isn't a predictor of much.
It demonstrates accomplishment. And in most fields, a minimum standard of learning.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:10 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,470,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I've seen instances of the above too but don't get carried away now. You'll find exceptions but the truth is that many people with limited education refuse to accept that those with a higher level of education are a higher caliber professional. And (with limited exceptions) those that attend a higher caliber university are of higher caliber professionally than those who attend lower caliber one's.

It's always amusing when people quote from a fictional movie to make a point that is based on reality. Gordon Gecko was a movie character, and that quote is from a script that a professional writer came up with for entertainment purposes. Moreover, that character was a criminal remember? That's why the character preferred those that had few options and could be manipulated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
It demonstrates accomplishment. And in most fields, a minimum standard of learning.
Basically this.

And in the context of this thread, accounting is typically one of those fields where a degree is required. Especially in more formal accounting roles not including AP/AR/Billing.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:15 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,452,869 times
So. Not your problem.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:44 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,559,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedelight21 View Post
I recently started working at a new company and my coworker got promoted to be an accountant. She’s only been with the company less than a year. I found out when she asked me about my graduate school that she has no bachelor’s degree in anything, but working towards her bachelor’s degree. She only had a high school education and 2 years of experience in accounting. I just found it strange that a corporate company would promote someone to become an accountant without a bachelor’s or associate’s degree. Is it common in the field of accounting? Could this affect the company’s reputation?
Her education is none of your business. If she got promoted and can't handle it, she'll be found out rather quickly. She could be a relative of some higher up. I would worry about my own job.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:48 AM

20,703 posts, read 19,874,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedelight21 View Post
I recently started working at a new company and my coworker got promoted to be an accountant. She’s only been with the company less than a year. I found out when she asked me about my graduate school that she has no bachelor’s degree in anything, but working towards her bachelor’s degree. She only had a high school education and 2 years of experience in accounting. I just found it strange that a corporate company would promote someone to become an accountant without a bachelor’s or associate’s degree. Is it common in the field of accounting? Could this affect the company’s reputation?
Yes, it happens and no, why would it hurt the company? Mean rumors and jealousy though hurt the company. Don't voice your "concerns" to anyone else there. Keep to yourself. Maybe you get promoted some day, too. And you want everyone to be happy for you also, right?

Old 02-08-2018, 12:02 PM

13,271 posts, read 8,387,833 times
Practice and experience. Best teacher ever!

Reality: my boss enjoys self education. By doing. He is a multi millionaire. And humble as the day is long. He sees opportunities before they meet the horizon. That doesn't take a book....it takes a keen sense . He had the 'sense' to know I had skills that given proper guidance would flourish. And they did. Maybe this co worker is such that given the right support will produce results validating the boss's investment.
It wasn't an mba degree or higher education that made my boss who he is...successful,regarded and ambition. It was someone taking a chance on him and he in return proving them right.

Be the thorn of contention or be the supportive human that moves the business goals forward.

Old 02-08-2018, 01:22 PM
bUU

12,077 posts, read 10,676,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
It demonstrates accomplishment.
It is one way to demonstrate accomplishment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment