U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 08:33 PM

1,225 posts, read 450,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
I once asked for a raise and got a promotion (and a bigger raise than I originally requested) instead. But I had a LOT of data and detailed examples to backup my request and show why it was deserved, and I hadn't had a promotion in 4-5 years at that point.

My WORST case of timing on asking for a raise: I had been working for a few years and was doing a LOT more than my job description called for, and more than other admins in the office. Asked for a raise, and was gently turned down. Found out a few days later that I was pregnant with my first child. Was horrified at the notion that they'd think I only asked for the raise because I was preggers. But in fact, I asked for it because the work I was doing was worth the extra $$. I stayed with the company for 3 more years before moving to a job closer to home to be near my two-by-that-point kids.
I also asked for a raise back in 1989 with my last IT employer and was offered a promotion instead. The raise was also more than I expected because the promotion was a two-level jump (from programmer analyst to senior programmer analyst). I had no data or any detailed examples to show my boss. I didn't care about that since many employees were quitting the company and I was in a good position to demand something. I told my boss that if I didn't get a raise I would be tempted to join my other colleagues and go somewhere else. I guess that worked out well. I never seeked or accepted any other promotion with that company. The extreme overtime and brutal responsibilities of any higher position was more than I wanted. Other colleagues took the plunge into promotionland and most of them flamed out, developed health issues, or left the company. After watching them ascend and fall, I knew that I had made the correct decision in not seeking any further promotions. What a wacky company. I worked for them for 28 years before exiting that nuthouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 08:52 PM

12,305 posts, read 10,022,195 times
Instead of saying hey I want a promotion, ask what you need to to do earn a promotion. This puts it on your boss's radar and a goal for you to work towards.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:54 PM

3,530 posts, read 1,302,858 times
Depends if you're valued or not.

Plus, if there are internal vacancies within your company that you feel are of a higher level than your current job, you could try applying (but let your boss know too, so that he/she is aware that you want to move on/up. If you are valued within the department your boss might make a big effort to keep you and subsequently promote you)

Old 02-09-2018, 01:44 PM

8,128 posts, read 12,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
When is the time that it's actually reasonable to broach the subject?
Does your company do reviews? If so, after you get your review, if it's good I would do it then. I asked for a promotion... while they could not give me one (due to my boss already being in the position I would be promoted to if he ever leaves), they did give me a nice hefty raise.

It doesn't hurt to ask.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:43 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,865,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Does your company do reviews? If so, after you get your review, if it's good I would do it then. I asked for a promotion... while they could not give me one (due to my boss already being in the position I would be promoted to if he ever leaves), they did give me a nice hefty raise.

It doesn't hurt to ask.
Yes they do reviews. They are very structured and would never give a raise big enough to bounce someone up into the pay scale of a job title next up on the rung. At this point I feel like they are just baiting me along into either quitting so they can hire someone with inexperience and train them or until I just forget about it.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:26 PM

1,613 posts, read 582,983 times
You don't just ask. You better come with some reasons and evidence to show you deserve one.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:35 PM

13,359 posts, read 42,624,724 times
Not sure it makes sense to ask for a promotion just out of the blue. But, at any time, any decent boss will welcome a conversation about "What would I need to do, to get promoted from Engineer III to Engineer IV?" Although usually such information is online, you ought to read up on what you can, first.

But to just say, "I am a laborer, and I want to be a manager" - without any mention of how you might be qualified for the higher rank - does not really make any sense, and you are just labeling yourself as an unrealistic person.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:46 PM

I'm a financial analyst and work closely, daily with my manager and the VP. They know well what I do and what I can do. I can write up a new job description if need be, but felt it wasn't needed. Supposedly the paperwork is all written up and ready to be signed. Supposedly...

Old 02-15-2018, 08:18 AM

43 posts, read 22,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
I never ask for a raise or promotion. Once every 1-2 years I tell my manager I would like a raise or promotion and ask what I need to do to prove I deserve one.

At that point it's up to me to follow through with whatever they tell me I need to do
This. I approached my manager this way and it turns out he had already started submitting the documents for my promotion

Old 02-15-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njxjjangu83 View Post
This. I approached my manager this way and it turns out he had already started submitting the documents for my promotion
I mean, we do yearly reviews, which are always stellar, and they've been talking about promotions for 2 years now for a couple of us. Possibly even longer. I wish I could find a copy of my original job description somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or