Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 03:07 PM

20,756 posts, read 19,947,491 times

Advertisements

My employer is a German corporation and half of us are German, the other half American.

I find it rude when Germans speak German in front of Americans. I don't do it, others do. There is no policy. However, whoever complains about it should maybe learn a bit German so at least know what is spoken and it would help with their work, too.

I could not imagine working for a foreign company with lost of foreign words and coworkers and NOT learn the language at all. Heck, I am amongst Hispanics in my neighborhood and I learn Spanish to know what they talk about in front of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 03:11 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,718,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Really? So, you think our military is racist? Our history is racist? Perhaps England is viewed by you as racist as well, and all simply because they prefer or speak English?

English is the operational language of the Army. Soldiers must maintain sufficient proficiency in English to perform their military duties. Their operational communications must be understood by everyone who has an official need to know their content, and, therefore, must normally be in English. However, commanders may not require Soldiers to use English unless such use is clearly necessary and proper for the performance of military functions. Accordingly, commanders may not require the use of English for personal communications that are unrelated to military functions.

In 1917, Naval Government Executive General Order No. 243 banned speaking Chamorro, and
“…designated English as only official language of Guam and ordered that “Chamorro must not be spoken except for official interpreting.”

Perhaps, because the American colonists formed their government and won their freedom from England, having formerly been subjects of the British Crown up until the point (i.e. England) - where the English language originated - it was always accepted that America spoke English, and as a matter of fact, most of it still does. I'm sure Ben Franklin was learned traveled and savvy enough to speak French. but would have told anyone posing the question that he was English.

You will find communities that historically speak French or Spanish, and even some very small yet historical communities that still speak languages like German, but they ALL also speak English. There are ethnic pockets here and there, but there is hardly anywhere in the US where absolutely NO ONE speaks English.

Is it racist to lump anyone who speaks English into a category like "racist"? Yes, it very much is racist. English does not equal white in the US, although speaking English does originate in England, which is a country of people with primarily pale skin.

What is it to hate people because their skin is primarily pale? Isnt any discrimination based on skin color considered racist - or does that not apply to people whose skin is primarily pale?

I don't think the country needs what has been obvious since at least 1776 followed by the end of the Spanish-American War to be designated. But, maybe those who cant be asked to keep up with the history of a place of interest to them need it to be.
Calm down and make an apt analogy because you know what the military DOESN'T require? That service men and women speak English at all times. That would be the equivalent analogy, that every conversation be in English at all times.

Old 02-09-2018, 03:25 PM

4,005 posts, read 2,079,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Calm down and make an apt analogy because you know what the military DOESN'T require? That service men and women speak English at all times. That would be the equivalent analogy, that every conversation be in English at all times.
I'm perfectly calm. I can even see where what I posted DOESNT say that it is required at all times, and only for important communication so that all can understand it. The whole point being that knowing English and effectively using it IS a requirement.

How about you, are you feeling calm?

Last edited by ComeCloser; 02-09-2018 at 03:46 PM..

Old 02-09-2018, 03:32 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,511,169 times
I personally love to hear people speak in their native tongue. I worked for an Indian company here in South Carolina and loved when they'd talk to one another. I didn't understand a word of it, but it sounded cool. I love to hear Hispanic folks speaking, too. Really any language that is not my own, I love to hear.

Old 02-09-2018, 03:36 PM

532 posts, read 445,441 times
An old joke I read

What do you call someone who speaks many languages? Multilingual

What do you call someone who speaks 2 languages? Bilingual

What do you call someone who speaks one language? American

I have also contemplated if English was mandated as the National language....
What would I put in for my GPS for travel from El Paso to Los Angeles..
I guess that would be The Pass to The Angels

Old 02-09-2018, 04:12 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I don't know who or what you are asking . . . but I personally think it is great - as long as you're not putting down others within earshot who can't understand what you are saying.
I worked at a company that had a number of Hispanic workers who spoke to each other frequently in Spanish. I found out later that they were talking badly about me right in front of me. I did understand some Spanish but honestly didn’t pay attention to trying to understand them. They also started some lies about me with other Latino employees. It was a very negative atmosphere. I had high ratings with the company and they may have been jealous.

Guess the “free speech” law wouldn’t allow it, but I don’t think speaking in a language other than English should be allowed. It creates divisiveness.

Old 02-09-2018, 04:40 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,860,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Was at my new job, had been walking 3 days and enjoying it. Today had to sit for the entire day. I was working with a female who was native of Mexico and every so often one of the other hispanic females would come by and they'd speak in their native tongue.

She did this for most of the day, then asked me "Does it bother you that we do this?" I replied "Nope, I don't mind, I know that you understand english and can speak it when the situation calls for it. So I'm not worried about what you are speaking about or that you are speaking in your native tongue"

She did say in some other companies she had worked at, had many people demand they speak english at all times and were told to not be found or overheard speaking their native tongue.

Only time I ever have heard of a "English only" was at the WSOP's tourneys (World Series Of Poker)

I worked one company which had 5-7 vietnamese who couldn't speak one word of english and they'd been here 5+ years.

Anyone ever have a company have that for a rule?
First let me give you my background: I am 12th generation since miles Standish and on my Fathers family before the Revolution. WASP and am PROUD to be an American. I think that anyone that comes to America from another country should learn to speak the Language of the majority of the citizens. English has been that language for over 300+ years. I think it is absolutely necessary to be able to communicate with everyone around you. TOURISTS are the exception but anyone wanting to stay in this country MUST learn ENGLISH.

Does it bother me when you speak another language around me? Yes it does. I realize it takes time to learn a NEW language but bif you are going to stay here learn English. An occasional lapse is understandable but at a certain point it is just BAD MANNERS.

Does the Bible story of the Tower of Babel suggest anything?++

Old 02-09-2018, 05:06 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,385,183 times
yes

Old 02-09-2018, 05:24 PM

30,310 posts, read 51,908,733 times
Doesn't bother me, especially if it's just chit-chatting among themselves. We have many employees from India, China, Vietnam, Philippines, Mexico, Germany, etc, and they often speak their native languages with each other. The only time English is required is when they're helping the public, and even then we WELCOME them to speak another language if that's what the patron speaks too! Quite a few times I've had to call on one of them, mostly to assist with Chinese speakers - as I speak Spanish fine, and Indians (our other largest group) usually speak perfect English.

I love learning new languages, and enjoy hearing even the ones I don't understand at all. Anyone who has an issue with this is xenophobic, and/or insecure enough to think these employees are discussing THEM. Since I know I'm generally well-liked by my colleagues, that just isn't a concern... and even if they were speaking about me, I'd rather not hear what they're saying anyway.

Old 02-09-2018, 05:26 PM

30,310 posts, read 51,908,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
First let me give you my background: I am 12th generation since miles Standish and on my Fathers family before the Revolution. WASP and am PROUD to be an American. I think that anyone that comes to America from another country should learn to speak the Language of the majority of the citizens. English has been that language for over 300+ years. I think it is absolutely necessary to be able to communicate with everyone around you. TOURISTS are the exception but anyone wanting to stay in this country MUST learn ENGLISH.

Does it bother me when you speak another language around me? Yes it does. I realize it takes time to learn a NEW language but bif you are going to stay here learn English. An occasional lapse is understandable but at a certain point it is just BAD MANNERS.

Does the Bible story of the Tower of Babel suggest anything?++
Username: Gunluvver

Could you be a bigger American stereotype??

You say you understand it takes time to learn English, but how do you know if that person speaking (whatever language) next to you ISN'T learning? Or how long they've been in this country? It usually takes at least one generation for immigrants to fully assimilate, and people like you make it even harder for them. I work with ESL learners in my job, and many of them say "I'm afraid to speak English with strangers, because I think they're judging how bad it is." Maybe try being supportive and tolerant, instead of the old "'Murica first; get out!!" kind of person? Too much to ask? Oh, and since we have no official language here, they have every right to speak their native tongue instead. I'm guessing if you moved to another country, you'd continue speaking English the majority of the time; even after/if you learned theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment