Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 12:56 AM

9 posts, read 6,527 times

Advertisements

My ex husband was from Mexico and he realized it was rude to not have his conversation with others around me in English. I get really upset that most people don’t show that same consideration. Its just normal human behavior to want things to be clear and upfront
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 06:55 AM

7,982 posts, read 5,336,472 times
Whispering in front of someone is rude. Speaking another language deliberately in front of someone that does not understand - I put that in the same category as whispering.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:04 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,204,345 times
Seems rude to me, too. Makes people uncomfortable if they don't know what you're saying, much like whispering.
Of course manners are out the window these days anyway so, what the heck?

Old 02-10-2018, 08:08 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,686,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriecalif View Post
My ex husband was from Mexico and he realized it was rude to not have his conversation with others around me in English. I get really upset that most people don’t show that same consideration. Its just normal human behavior to want things to be clear and upfront
I'd say there's a difference between your husband and some random coworkers or people in public. You're not entitled to be privy to every conversation you might stumble upon.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:15 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,206,216 times
It bothers me when my society pressures me to learn a non-native tongue.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:37 AM

5,290 posts, read 5,199,703 times
I think its rude, too. How would they like it if people spoke some language in front of them that they didnt understand?

Where I worked, some people were speaking spanish and said some rude things about some people (not me, but I was their manager). Then they switched to English, and asked me a question, and I answered in Spanish. The look on their faces was pricesless. I never speak Spanish, but I can, and understand it well. They never spoke spanish in front of me again.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:55 AM

858 posts, read 1,797,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Because they know how to speak English yet choose not to.
That's because they're more comfortable in their native tongue.

Old 02-10-2018, 10:04 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,161,240 times
I worked at a tv station in Miami and, of course, many people were bilingual. I didn't mind at all when those around me chattered in Spanish--it was not really work-related conversation.

In fact, it was more like white noise and I'd much rather that than some co-workers blathering away about DIY projects or sports. It's less distracting.

I would assume if I lived and worked in a non-English speaking country in Europe for example, that I would be allowed to speak English to other Americans without being frowned upon.

Old 02-10-2018, 01:21 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,686,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I worked at a tv station in Miami and, of course, many people were bilingual. I didn't mind at all when those around me chattered in Spanish--it was not really work-related conversation.

In fact, it was more like white noise and I'd much rather that than some co-workers blathering away about DIY projects or sports. It's less distracting.

I would assume if I lived and worked in a non-English speaking country in Europe for example, that I would be allowed to speak English to other Americans without being frowned upon.
You would because it’s really an American thing to become insulted that others speak languages other than English.

Old 02-10-2018, 01:30 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,549,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
I think its rude, too. How would they like it if people spoke some language in front of them that they didnt understand?

Where I worked, some people were speaking spanish and said some rude things about some people (not me, but I was their manager). Then they switched to English, and asked me a question, and I answered in Spanish. The look on their faces was pricesless. I never speak Spanish, but I can, and understand it well. They never spoke spanish in front of me again.
Does speaking English mean that no one who speaks English will talk to you ?? Language has little to do with it. I used to work in a place where all the employees went quiet when I entered the cafeteria. This situation usually happens in places there there is a very poor relationship between Management and Employees. You are not trusted therefore no one speaks with you.

It is rude to speak in a non-native tongue if one is in a work environment and non-speakers are involved in the discussion. However any private conversation is private and what language (or how) you speak is your own darn business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment