Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 11:33 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Was at my new job, had been walking 3 days and enjoying it. Today had to sit for the entire day. I was working with a female who was native of Mexico and every so often one of the other hispanic females would come by and they'd speak in their native tongue.

She did this for most of the day, then asked me "Does it bother you that we do this?" I replied "Nope, I don't mind, I know that you understand english and can speak it when the situation calls for it. So I'm not worried about what you are speaking about or that you are speaking in your native tongue"

She did say in some other companies she had worked at, had many people demand they speak english at all times and were told to not be found or overheard speaking their native tongue.

Only time I ever have heard of a "English only" was at the WSOP's tourneys (World Series Of Poker)

I worked one company which had 5-7 vietnamese who couldn't speak one word of english and they'd been here 5+ years.

Anyone ever have a company have that for a rule?
I'm not sure that English-only rules are legal in many (if not most) workplaces, but even as someone who speaks multiple languages I would prefer that my coworkers conduct their work-related conversations in English. To do otherwise is rude IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 12:43 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
they learned english... they use it for official work

you are trying to regulate what they do in their free time, how is speaking another language different than if they watched youtube or had music on instead?
As long as it is ONLY used for chit chat and NEVER used to discuss business or other workers I see no problem with it. My son works in a tech business with a large group of Hindi speakers and they use it to keep non-Indians out of the loop on projects.

Old 02-09-2018, 12:44 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
And in the areas that are highly populated with non English speaking residents, maybe the english speakers should learn other languages and everyone speak the predominant language.

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2013/...anguages/6438/

Example as people that speak Spanish are the predominate group in California, and New Mexico how about the English speakers learn to speak Spanish at work, etc.

Old 02-09-2018, 01:25 PM

359 posts, read 302,103 times
Nah, I live in a multilingual city so it's par for the course and whatever makes colleagues comfortable as long as it follows company rules in case the language of business is something else.

Only time foreign language speakers bothered me was in school where 2 guys spoke Arabic during the exams and the teachers did nothing about it. I asked them politely to cut it out and they continued.

Old 02-09-2018, 01:56 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
I do not care what language you speak, but when you do speak, it should be in a language everyone involved in the conversation can understand.

I have never worked for a company that said you had to speak English while in a work status. Even the military does not have such rule.

Old 02-09-2018, 02:07 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Really? Hmmm... Both state testing I took required bi lingual ability in both written and oral. The more languages known, the better to serve the ppl of the community. No federal or state regulation has in place that the indentured servant ( I mean employee) is mandated to only use English. It may be a general advisal (suggestion) but I highly doubt even our govt stated what you proclaim.

I admire folks who can adapt and accommodate the public thru languages of various lands. Fascinating not offended.. Admirable.

I don't think this passed but it was a bill to make the official language of the U.S. English and to have all government documents only in English. H.R.997 - English Language Unity Act of 2017

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...-bill/997/text

Old 02-09-2018, 02:24 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Was at my new job, had been walking 3 days and enjoying it. Today had to sit for the entire day. I was working with a female who was native of Mexico and every so often one of the other hispanic females would come by and they'd speak in their native tongue.

She did this for most of the day, then asked me "Does it bother you that we do this?" I replied "Nope, I don't mind, I know that you understand english and can speak it when the situation calls for it. So I'm not worried about what you are speaking about or that you are speaking in your native tongue"

She did say in some other companies she had worked at, had many people demand they speak english at all times and were told to not be found or overheard speaking their native tongue.

Only time I ever have heard of a "English only" was at the WSOP's tourneys (World Series Of Poker)

I worked one company which had 5-7 vietnamese who couldn't speak one word of english and they'd been here 5+ years.

Anyone ever have a company have that for a rule?
I know Spanish very well... I love it when people speak Spanish and think I don't know what they're saying... because I know every word.

Someone was talking about me in Spanish once and I called them out. That was the end of them talking Spanish in the office

Old 02-09-2018, 02:32 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I don't know who or what you are asking . . . but I personally think it is great - as long as you're not putting down others within earshot who can't understand what you are saying.

I think people should be comfortable speaking in whatever language they prefer to speak in. This shouldn't even be an issue. I know racist people make it an issue by insisting everyone speak English - but I think that is B.S.
Really? So, you think our military is racist? Our history is racist? Perhaps England is viewed by you as racist as well, and all simply because they prefer or speak English?

English is the operational language of the Army. Soldiers must maintain sufficient proficiency in English to perform their military duties. Their operational communications must be understood by everyone who has an official need to know their content, and, therefore, must normally be in English. However, commanders may not require Soldiers to use English unless such use is clearly necessary and proper for the performance of military functions. Accordingly, commanders may not require the use of English for personal communications that are unrelated to military functions.

In 1917, Naval Government Executive General Order No. 243 banned speaking Chamorro, and
“…designated English as only official language of Guam and ordered that “Chamorro must not be spoken except for official interpreting.”

Perhaps, because the American colonists formed their government and won their freedom from England, having formerly been subjects of the British Crown up until the point (i.e. England) - where the English language originated - it was always accepted that America spoke English, and as a matter of fact, most of it still does. I'm sure Ben Franklin was learned traveled and savvy enough to speak French. but would have told anyone posing the question that he was English.

You will find communities that historically speak French or Spanish, and even some very small yet historical communities that still speak languages like German, but they ALL also speak English. There are ethnic pockets here and there, but there is hardly anywhere in the US where absolutely NO ONE speaks English.

Is it racist to lump anyone who speaks English into a category like "racist"? Yes, it very much is racist. English does not equal white in the US, although speaking English does originate in England, which is a country of people with primarily pale skin.

What is it to hate people because their skin is primarily pale? Isnt any discrimination based on skin color considered racist - or does that not apply to people whose skin is primarily pale?

I don't think the country needs what has been obvious since at least 1776 followed by the end of the Spanish-American War to be designated. But, maybe those who cant be asked to keep up with the history of a place of interest to them need it to be.

Old 02-09-2018, 02:43 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I don't think this passed but it was a bill to make the official language of the U.S. English and to have all government documents only in English. H.R.997 - English Language Unity Act of 2017

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...-bill/997/text
Great food for thought! Loved the exception line : except for those in asylums.
Relieved it didn't pass. diversity is empowering .

Old 02-09-2018, 03:01 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
It doesn't bother me at all for people to speak their native language in the workplace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment