Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 04:31 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,884,485 times

Advertisements

Where I've seen that the most is on internet chat boards!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 06:22 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,663,649 times
This happens and it is not always related to performance. At my last job, it became clear in early January that my department head wanted to transfer all the field positions in the unit up into HQ. He kept piling on the duties and I think all but one person in the unit (even the person who was originally in the position stationed in HQ) have quit. There is one position that has been filled three times since this time last year.

Old 02-10-2018, 06:28 AM

45,309 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Happened to someone, or multiple someones, every year (31+) of my teaching career. Then it was my turn.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:57 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,778,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynnroc View Post
^^ This. Though they're usually called Performance Improvement Plans (PIP for short).

PIP = RIP
Sorry, I knew it, but couldn't recall the acronym....

Old 02-10-2018, 08:02 AM

795 posts, read 1,008,003 times
I interviewed at a company one time and they said they were "refreshing the department". Almost laughed.
I still get a kick out of that line.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:29 AM

6,883 posts, read 7,880,482 times
Oh, yeah, I've seen it many times. In public schools.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:31 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,860,391 times
Some conclusions I have arrived at from my work experiences as both an employee and a boss.

As a government employee (prison guard for ten years) I learned that management does not care about PROFIT. The accumulation of more POWER and PRESTIGE is the ultimate goal. IOW the duty of the employees on the bottom of the totem pole is to make those higher up on the totem pole look good. Any employee that can do this will climb the ladder. It is important to remember that even though you may think that John Q Public is your boss and elected officials run the show. THAT is not the truth. The entrenched bureaucrats you work under are going to be there for many years and the elected politicians are just temporary. SO TO ADVANCE remember that.

Life as an employee in a for PROFIT business is totally different. However in extremely large businesses it is difficult to differentiate between government and for profit types of behavior in management. Your importance to a business is directly related to how much you add to the BOTTOM line of the company UNTIL your company becomes so LARGE that it cannot fail. When that happens remember that your job security depends on your importance to the administrators above you. Confusing right?

If you don't like life at the bottom of the food chain BECOME your own BOSS. Then you can deal with ALL kinds of problems. LOL.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:36 AM

1,289 posts, read 937,218 times
Yes, when I was working on contract I saw this at two different companies, 400 miles apart. Three employees in one company and two in the other were targeted, set up, and fired. In the first company there was a mix of (false) job performance allegations and a hot button sexual harassment case. In the second company the situation was simply part of a game that two regular employees would occasionally play against a co-worker. The two liked to put someone in hot water just for fun and to relieve their boredom. They had pull with an upper management person so they were free to play without interference. They'd typically choose a younger employee who had limited experience and would be easy to replace.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:08 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,461,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
even though you may think that John Q Public is your boss and elected officials run the show. THAT is not the truth.
Yeah, until the "entrenched bureaucrat" does something that can bring a PR nightmare to their employer AND the elected official(s).

Old 02-10-2018, 01:09 PM

7,640 posts, read 4,588,321 times
It happens OP. In my experience you need to be careful of people who are better talkers than they are workers. Some groups seem to have grown up playing "Hot Potato" and have it down to a science.

I feel bad for the current Assistant Controller. Controller and her consulting sidekick have steadily been destroying the books for about a year and a half while announcing everything is fine. It became obvious that things were really far from fine so they hired this guy. Nice guy, good career at large companies, the pay is above market. Tried to warn him. Couple of FP&A guys took me out and tried to get me to shift my thought process on whose fault it was. Anyway, Controller and sidekick leave during system implementation they'd excluded him on and she'd locked up on close items.

But he's a good guy. He wants to please his boss whose made a series of bad decisions that she's holding him to...despite not being in the office for more than a couple hours for the past 3 months....even with an ERP conversion going on.

She knew it would fail, so she created fall people. She, free to gossip and with the ears of decision makers can keep reporting everything should be a-ok so any issues must be in the execution.

Dude's got a mortgage and a couple of kids. His life is about to get sh*tty fast.

Games like this can only take place where nobody cares though. In this case these guys are a money losing machine that's propped up by an increasingly skeptical investor that leaves the company with no more than 1-2 months of runway at any give time. So at that point, nobody cares about the truth, they care about the story. The top down says story over truth, so then these games can play. As the company has 0% chance of actually becoming a money maker, in the long run, it's better to get away from these types of places, but it's gonna f with his mojo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment