Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 12:17 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WI Beancounter View Post
I produce the financials. The company has never had a budget. My boss doesn't seem to understand the details behind the financials, he just looks at the bottom line. We do business in over 15 states. It seems as though not much thought is put into how much things costs, just the sales aspect. We are profitable, but a lot of money is spent foolishly without regard to the long term impact.
Have you ever presented what you are stating in a graph, or in some tangible way so that these folks can actually see the discrepancies.

I say this because I have noticed over the last decade that people cannot relate to language as well as pictorials. I think it is because many young people grew up watching or playing videos....including my own adult kids.

Perhaps if you tried to present your concerns with graphs.....and also break it down to location and list the expenses you with comparisons re: earnings/spending may be able to make your case better. It would be hard to discount something that your company heads could actually see.

If you don't get the opportunity during the meeting...perhaps CC email this to the leaders and company execs. That way you get the credit due.

Otherwise, it does sound like you are in a difficult situation. Hang in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 12:22 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
When you present your opinion, that is all it is. "we should credit check these guys". Everyone has an opinion.

Back yours up. Yeah its based on what to you is common sense. But without data it is an opinion. Sooo...

"I researched this, and this is the probable impact of not credit checking"

Old 02-12-2018, 07:58 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
I get where you are coming from. Due to your experience you know things they don't and yet they are unwilling/unable to acknowledge what they don't know. Seems to be a growing thing in today's work world where knowledge and experience are ignored, usually because they point out problems that don't fit with their accepted world view. It's a painful way to work.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:20 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Do you think it might be possible that they lost respect for you when you requested 10 weeks off for recovery of a (presumably) elective surgery after having worked there less than 8 months? Why could you not have had the surgery BEFORE working there, or could you put it off a bit longer - like 4 more months?

Just wondering. I think it's pretty presumptuous to ask for a big chunk of time off when you haven't even been there a year.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:57 PM

29 posts, read 23,060 times
My surgery was not elective. I could have been off for ten weeks, but could not. I came back to work early but had limitations that my employer didn't respect. My surgery could not wait. Another new employee who started two months after me has been out since Oct. after having surgery.

Last edited by WI Beancounter; 02-14-2018 at 08:10 PM..

Old 02-14-2018, 09:09 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
My surgery was not elective. I could have been off for ten weeks, but could not. I came back to work early but had limitations that my employer didn't respect. My surgery could not wait. Another new employee who started two months after me has been out since Oct. after having surgery.
Why would you take a job knowing you were going to have major surgery and that it would cause you to miss work? Thats reprehensible.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:57 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,710 times
Quote:
No, accounting does not get the resources that other departments get. We are hiring people right and left, yet not hiring more in my department, and my staff is spread very thin. Thanks for the insight.
Get used to it or leave. In many companies back office functions like accounting are viewed as cost centers and a necessary evil. It is rare that a controller - which is a mid level position in most companies would expect to have much input on the overall management of the company. You also say that you have only been there 8 months, that is not nearly long enough to earn the trust and respect it takes to have a voice at the executive level. I think you overestimate your value to the company at your own risk.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:33 PM

287 posts, read 237,203 times
Your company is "growing like crazy" and you are "hiring people right and left" yet you want them to change what they are doing when what they are doing is somehow working?

I'm not saying they won't suffer later, but surely you can see from some people's view, they don't see the need to change things. Especially from someone who has been with the team the least after taking time off for surgery almost as soon as you started?

You really seem unable to look at things from other people's view which may be contributing to people at your job not respecting you as much as you think they should. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment