Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 11:46 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,600,966 times

Advertisements

or can you have any degree, so long as you can pass the tests?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 11:49 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,460 times
No, but you should have a pretty strong understanding of mathematical principles. I'd brush up on statistics and calculus.

Be an Actuary

How Do I Get Started? | Be an Actuary

Old 02-15-2018, 12:00 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,099,341 times
You may not, but you would experience great difficulty when applying. I work with 5 actuaries, and 2 of my family members are actuaries...they all have Masters degrees in statistical fields.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:06 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
or can you have any degree, so long as you can pass the tests?
Theoretically you can have any degree but realistically, most places won't even look at you unless you have at least a bachelor's degree in math, preferably a master's degree.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:09 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,312,189 times
Sure, but you better be prepared to show that you can do the math.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Theoretically you can have any degree but realistically, most places won't even look at you unless you have at least a bachelor's degree in math, preferably a master's degree.
I wonder if the actuary certification would trump everything else.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:40 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
Possibly but those are hard to get even for people with master's degrees in math/statistics. Plus there's tons of studying.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:28 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
I know several people that work in the field that do not have math degrees but for the most part they are math intensive degrees like physics, engineering etc. (I have an actuarial degree and work in the field)

If you communicate well and pass 2 exams or so you should have a shot of getting a job starting *somewhere*, especially if you can get into an insurance related position like underwriting and then try to transition.

I'd strongly suggest you read the links provided earlier in the thread to learn more.

Are you in college? Looking at colleges? Out in the workforce?

The answer to that changes things a lot imo.

To give you an idea of what your competition is, a solid applicant for an entry level position has a couple exams done and an internship under their belt. Don't pillory me, there are always exceptions but that is your typical scenario.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I know several people that work in the field that do not have math degrees but for the most part they are math intensive degrees like physics, engineering etc. (I have an actuarial degree and work in the field)

If you communicate well and pass 2 exams or so you should have a shot of getting a job starting *somewhere*, especially if you can get into an insurance related position like underwriting and then try to transition.

I'd strongly suggest you read the links provided earlier in the thread to learn more.

Are you in college? Looking at colleges? Out in the workforce?

The answer to that changes things a lot imo.

To give you an idea of what your competition is, a solid applicant for an entry level position has a couple exams done and an internship under their belt. Don't pillory me, there are always exceptions but that is your typical scenario.
Job growth is supposed to be pretty strong in the field, correct?

Old 02-15-2018, 03:09 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
I think economics would be another good degree to have for that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment