Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 11:27 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,923,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
What skills are you bringing to get a government (Federal/State/Local) job? To be honest, they are now very competitive... Even to simply get an interview since there is basically job security and a defined pension plan. Your resume needs to shine with related work history and more important shine even brighter during the in-person interviews... Most mid-level government jobs will have two to three interviews BEFORE they will move forward in the process. Just remember that they will have at least five, if not more applicants for that one position.

I was hired and later retired from federal job at the pay grade of GS-13. During the hiring process, I was able to top the competition WITHOUT a college degree and was hired ahead of them.... I brought many years of military/combat/life experience to the table and more important, was able to demonstrate this to the oral board that "I" already had most of the skill sets required for that position.

As stated earlier, you have to hustle hard to get anywhere and once there, keep the hustle going to keep your position... Failure to stay on top means that they will put you on a "Preformance Improvement Plan" and if you fail that, they WILL fire you since they will have all the legal documentation in hand in case you try to take them to court. If it's a really low paying or sucky entry level job, they will most likely keep you on, but you will not advance to a better paying position and be labeled basically useless.

I wish you well, but you need to discover your strengths and weaknesses AND acknowledge them AND make whatever changes needed to make yourself marketable. Also, if you're smoking weed... STOP IT!! No government agency will hire you if you p** dirty. Yes, I know it's legal to smoke it in WA, but how bad to you really want a good paying job AND what are your priorities in life?? Again, there will always be that guy/gal who don't smoke weed, which will make them shine brighter than you for that job... Just saying!!

Again, I wish you well and I too live in the Seattle area and if you're not in the tech/IT field, they're not that many good paying "service" jobs in the area. With that said, you must be also willing to move to where the jobs are to gain some valuable work experience at your age, so you can move up in your chosen field.

And no, it's not too late to get a career, but you need to do what YOU need to do to get it.

Good luck!!
I have never tried weed before in my life ever. I have never tried illegal drugs. It's a small world that you also live in the Seattle area. Government jobs like working for King county,city of Seattle are harder than I thought.
Someone I know from my aspergers support group works for King county metro making $25 an hour as a clerk and this is just starting pay.

Unfortunately im not in the it or tech field.

Where should I be willing to move to?? I like Seattle so much and have met so many great friends here and almost have a girlfriend here in Seattle it's hard to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 11:30 PM

Before leaving LA I tried to take a computer networking class at a trade school and the subject matter wasn't for me.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:33 PM

What I really want is a job that will pay me enough to continue to rent my $1300 a month one bedroom apartment in Northgate Seattle.

If my rent increases one day to $1400 a month or $1500 a month I want to be able to afford that.

Maybe eventually I want to be able to afford a car payment instead of taking the bus.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:37 PM

What I don't want to be is homeless or living with my parents in California again.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:44 PM

One of the reasons I moved to Seattle is I thought it would be easier for me to find a job than LA.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:32 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
Is it the new normal for adults in America with Aspergers/autism to be unemployed or underemployed
1) It's becoming a new normal that MOST are underemployed
2) Many of the tedious quiet backroom jobs that those on the spectrum USED TO do
(and which often paid rather well too) have been automated out of existence.

Quote:
What I really want is a job that will pay me enough
to continue to rent my $1300 a month one bedroom apartment in Northgate Seattle.
This has been discussed with you before: You can't afford the rent you're currently paying.

$1300 rent + $100 utilities MONTHLY requires a WEEKLY net paycheck of $1400.
iirc... you don't have $1400 a week gross either. Using savings doesn't count.

Last edited by MrRational; 02-17-2018 at 05:41 AM..

Old 02-17-2018, 07:34 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,494,440 times
Just my two cents...

Your only goal right now should be working. Doesn't matter what the job is...work. Even if you think it is beneath you. Working will keep you on a schedule, make you interact with people in a learning environment and keep your social skills in use. Work as much as you can. The more you are out of your apartment in the world, the better.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:38 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
You need to choose a field where you have little interaction with people, so that your poor people skills won't get you fired. One that needs little prep time, like a certificate program. Then best to get a public sector job, where it's more difficult to be fired.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:42 AM

29,738 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Im very greatful for all of the aspergers support groups in Seattle. I have met so many apserger friends in Seattle.
Do any of these support groups have career counseling components or services? Does an Aspergers/Autism diagnosis grant you access to some social services?

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 02-17-2018 at 08:17 AM..

Old 02-17-2018, 11:48 AM

2,114 posts, read 1,320,177 times
Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

OP, you're only 36 years old, that's not old. Sit down, be calm, write a plan for your life on the computer screen about your weakness and strength, about what you need to do to improve your life, and save it in your computer, and work on it.

I heard about Toastmaster Group that can help people to improve social skills. Can you do some research and try to join it?

Try to look deep into yourself and see what your weakness and strength are, what you cannot and can do, what you dislike and like to do in life. However, about work/job you cannot really chose or have what you like at the beginning; sometimes, you have to accept some job you dislike and do it, learn about it and the environment and people you work with and you earn experience and you can move on and up to some better job.

Not everybody can be the boss, not everyone can be leader, manager, supervisor. Some people have to be subordinates. Not everybody can work in the office. Someone has to do the labor job. When you know your ability, and cannot get what you want for now, accept what you have temporarily to earn money for living and continue to work hard to get what you want.

I've never had interest in the TV/film maker field, so I have no say about it. But you cannot get a job in that field, you can think about something else, such as going back to college to learn about trades, healthcare... etc. I'm sure you can do it and find a job in those fields with higher pay than what you are earning now. When you really want something, you have to work hard for it. No pain, no gain.

I do believe in fate sometimes, and I do believe we can change our fate also. When there's a will, there's a way.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-17-2018 at 09:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment