Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 04:19 AM

182 posts, read 264,216 times

Advertisements

I'm a lot like you. I actually have a mild case of Tourette syndrome and am kind of an aspie. The two conditions are related. I also have a degree in Radio/Television, which isn't worth much.

I couldn't find anything other than a part time job as a Production Assistant at a local TV station at first in a large market, so I moved to a small town, and that experience got me a full time gig at a local TV station there. From there I learned and slowly moved up to larger markets and finally to big broadcast facilities unrelated to TV news.

A small market would love to have you in Master Control or the control room. I always liked working the audio board the best.

That field still doesn't pay much, so I'm teaching myself web coding on the internet with all the resources available.

So if you never find anything in Seattle, you may want to consider moving to a small town somewhere while you still have savings left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 07:22 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
Yes I go to a therapist once a week.
Great, but can they point you to employment services and resources?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I make very close to $100k with that crap degree

Oh such crap though
But I think in the OP's case, he doesn't have the networking down, nor a portfolio of experience in the industry to point to. Most hiring managers aren't going to look at someone with a 15-year-old undergrad degree and no other relevant experience as a good bet.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:29 AM

42,849 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
That's what I thought that working for the government would be better for me than the private sector. Currently I'm living in Seattle,Washington and not California anymore. Someone from my aspergers group works for King county metro.
Right! I only posted that television job because it sounds like your dream job and you can apply while you live in Seattle and possibly even arrange for a telephone interview.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:59 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
That's a great idea. How?
Contracting, at least that's how I did it. Standards are a bit lowered for contractors as you're not signing on as a permanent burden to the company, if you don't work out then they just call up the agency and replace you. Spent a year or so making pretty good money before I found a company to go perm with.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:59 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,913,903 times
OP, correct me if I am wrong, but I get the sense you are not passionate about getting into the film industry. Was this a subject you really wanted a career in, or was it a means to a degree? There is no wrong answer, but your answer does provide a direction.

If film is the place for you, you are in the wrong place. You probably know it's not your thing or you never would have left LA. You mention you are anchored to Seattle, indicating a non willingness to move is the second clue film industry is not your preferred place to be. Friends and family that have gone down the film road are willing to move anywhere to be in the field. I am friends with an Aspie who attended school locally and was actually successful breaking into the film industry. He also owns one of the largest forums for those on the spectrum. Check out wrongplanet dot com As an advocate for AS and visibility on youtube, I suspect his real value is as a consultant on films. Understanding the technicalities and intricacies of how AS interacts w/ the NT IRL could yield a nice paycheck, but you would need to move.

So, if moving is out of the question and film not a priority, networking is a must! Hop on the website I gave you and get the word out (stick to the sections devoted to living in the real world). Get on the Seattle site here, see if someone has suggestions. Brevity is your friend when posting, (I know, that's coming from the queen of long posts), but most importantly, as others have stated, don't stop looking.

I promise you, if you keep at it, the next time you have a challenge, you will look back at this post and realize, your situation was temporary. I don't know who said it, but one of my favorite quotes is "a challenge is a goal not yet realized." You got this if you keep at it.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:45 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
I am living proof against your claim. I have a BS in Computer Science and an Associate in Arts and an Associates in Science and graduated with a 3.04 GPA (which was my lowest GPA overall (not that I didn't have lower in a semester or two) as I had over a 3.5 and may have been closer to 3.7 in Jr. College and was over a 4.0 in High School.) so I was neither a partier nor a 16-hour study guy. What might have gotten me was my previous total lack of work experience, but I feared (and I think, looking back, rightly so, that working while in school was have a downward pull on my grades, and working while in university was harder as I was at home sometimes and away sometimes and few employers during the 2010-2013 years would have allowed for such flexibility anyway.) I also had DORS help me. They were at as much of a loss as I was. This summer, over 4 years after graduating college, I finally got something, a call center job, which I couldn't keep because I couldn't adapt with the software and get the phones down fast enough (interestingly, on Indeed.com reviews, even some NT people complained about similar issues), so was let go but later reoffered something due to how good I was with the computers and so got a two month temp job answering emails but was laid off (when the thing ended and because staying on would have meant doing the phones) at the end of 2017. I also don't have debt but don't have a job either.

I lucked out in that Illinois lets me get Medicaid (which I needed even when I did have the job as they did not offer insurance.) though loads of those guys shouldn't have jobs (though a few are decent) as that bureaucracy is the 9th Circle of Hell to deal with.

As for a trade, no, haven't tried that. Due to having executive disfunction, something common to people with Aspergers, that might get in the way of doing all but self-employed trades and even so, those types would involve lots of interaction with people.
JSYK, the call center job isn't just about your Aspergers. The Phone Company starts a class of 15 hoping to retain 3.

The systems are old and woven together awfully, you must overlap the systems with talking and SELLING. And do it quickly. You must have the "social skills" to manipulate people without them even knowing it. You must know how to cue INTO what they say and then POUNCE with finesse.

DEFINITELY not for Aspergers.

The MOST successful guys are ex car salesmen who, even if they can't master the systems perfectly, get retained because their gift of lying and tricking customers into a sale is unparalleled. ALL they care about is sales, there.

NO offense to car salesmen but you KNOW how to bury the facts in a nice glossy "package".

My son BEGGED for a job in his dream career place during college for internship. He got the mailroom job. They were thrilled ...FREE LABOR. He was thrilled. To be around the real gig all day and night.

(not on the spectrum but the entire place was "quirky")

THEN they got to know him and he became a rock star, they hired him after graduation, and he never even worked in his real field, Graphic Arts. Became right hand to the owner, and then spun off his own company with his help.

You need some type of foot in the door and I'm thinking still LA.

OR if you're "good at computers" and not working - go to your local community college and take some various courses in that field. Even graphic arts. Fun and computer-y.

Find your talent.

Artsy creative or not? etc.

You may even get a permanent job through temp agencies but I wouldn't think offhand that would fit well with the social components of your med status.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:49 AM

2,148 posts, read 2,925,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentleman Jason View Post
I'm a lot like you. I actually have a mild case of Tourette syndrome and am kind of an aspie. The two conditions are related. I also have a degree in Radio/Television, which isn't worth much.

I couldn't find anything other than a part time job as a Production Assistant at a local TV station at first in a large market, so I moved to a small town, and that experience got me a full time gig at a local TV station there. From there I learned and slowly moved up to larger markets and finally to big broadcast facilities unrelated to TV news.

A small market would love to have you in Master Control or the control room. I always liked working the audio board the best.

That field still doesn't pay much, so I'm teaching myself web coding on the internet with all the resources available.

So if you never find anything in Seattle, you may want to consider moving to a small town somewhere while you still have savings left.
Wow

Its great to meet you. We have alot incommon.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
OP, correct me if I am wrong, but I get the sense you are not passionate about getting into the film industry. Was this a subject you really wanted a career in, or was it a means to a degree? There is no wrong answer, but your answer does provide a direction.

If film is the place for you, you are in the wrong place. You probably know it's not your thing or you never would have left LA. You mention you are anchored to Seattle, indicating a non willingness to move is the second clue film industry is not your preferred place to be. Friends and family that have gone down the film road are willing to move anywhere to be in the field. I am friends with an Aspie who attended school locally and was actually successful breaking into the film industry. He also owns one of the largest forums for those on the spectrum. Check out wrongplanet dot com As an advocate for AS and visibility on youtube, I suspect his real value is as a consultant on films. Understanding the technicalities and intricacies of how AS interacts w/ the NT IRL could yield a nice paycheck, but you would need to move.

So, if moving is out of the question and film not a priority, networking is a must! Hop on the website I gave you and get the word out (stick to the sections devoted to living in the real world). Get on the Seattle site here, see if someone has suggestions. Brevity is your friend when posting, (I know, that's coming from the queen of long posts), but most importantly, as others have stated, don't stop looking.

I promise you, if you keep at it, the next time you have a challenge, you will look back at this post and realize, your situation was temporary. I don't know who said it, but one of my favorite quotes is "a challenge is a goal not yet realized." You got this if you keep at it.
After all of these years i realise that working in TV,film or radio is a pipe dream.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post

After all of these years i realise that working in TV,film or radio is a pipe dream.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:58 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
Underemployed is the new normal for many if not most people these days. There are tons of jobs but none of them pay enough to live on. There are too few decent jobs to go round. That's not your fault but that's the way it is. So here you are with a worthless degree living in one of the highest cost cities in the US. There are lots of things you could do to cut expenses.

1) Get a roommate.
2) Move to a less expensive studio apartment.
3) Move to a less expensive part of the country.
4) Apply for disability/subsidized housing.
5) Move back home.

As far as work goes, me personally, I would try to sign on as an apprentice electrician or plumber. I would put in my time, study, take the tests, and advance to Journeyman. Takes several years but once you clear that hurdle you are golden. You can work for yourself or someone else. You will have a good income, you will be completely self supporting. Then you can do the stuff you want to do in your free time. I would move anyplace I had to for that job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment