Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 08:59 PM

166 posts, read 116,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
It also raises a question. Since this employer wasn't upfront, and hell, they were outright deceptive, is this an employer you see yourself working for the long-term? This dishonesty may be a sign of things to come.
Exactly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 09:07 PM

127 posts, read 102,248 times
They also save on OT when they use a salaried person to mop up the gaps in the schedule.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:14 PM

55 posts, read 42,292 times
I'm an RN, have been a CNA for a few years before getting my nursing license. Healthcare is a 24/7 kinda thing, thankfully my current job very rarely has mandation, but frequently mandation happens in nursing home environments where a worker has to work two shifts because some person calls in. Didn't really know about this when I first got into nursing, I've had to adjust in the environments where it was the norm (my last job was working as an RN at a rehab facility, had to work 17-18 hour days occasionally).

Anyway, it didn't take me too long to get adjusted to a night shift schedule, as my current hospital position is a 12 hour night shift schedule, and all of us nurses swing shift on our days off if we have several day stretches. So I'm pleasantly saying, it may suck, but try to stick it out. Changing jobs sucks and (obviously not knowing what you actually manage), will probably cause more chaos on your health than just forcing yourself to swing shift. In the grand scheme of things, most nightshift nurses in the US swingshift constantly and though tiring, your body will get used to it.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:30 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
When they mentioned "late evenings" did it occur to you to ask about these "late evening" shifts and what it means? If you have a medical condition that prevents you from working nights, you should be the one raising the clarification issue so everyone knows the score. I"m sorry, but this is as much your fault.

Old 02-17-2018, 04:36 AM

4,970 posts, read 2,712,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelkeks View Post
They also save on OT when they use a salaried person to mop up the gaps in the schedule.
Unpaid overtime is a very common feature in the business world. This way, employers get "their money's worth" out of each and every employee who is salaried. They leverage out as much work as they can out of their employees with as many hours as possible. They will say anything and everything in a job interview to the candidate to get them to accept the position. Once the candidate signs on, the leveraging begins.

Old 02-17-2018, 04:43 AM

4,970 posts, read 2,712,589 times
Quote:
It seems like this type of thing is becoming more and more the norm. For the first time in my not too short life, I have lost all hope. Prior to this job, I left another company due to complete lack of professionalism in management, gossiping, yelling, and pitting folks against each other. I was so hopeful, and grateful for this new job. It wasn't perfect, but I was able to reconcile the good with the not so good, until today. Overpromise, and underdelivery: the new job recruiting strategy.
I completely agree.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:01 AM

370 posts, read 504,827 times
I once took a job that required me to work 5 am till 1 pm..and I hate getting up so darn early but took the job. I soon found out I had to cover the night shift if that person called out (and no they did not tell me this during my interviews). That person smoked like a chimney, and their health was really bad. I had to get there at 12 am to do really hard work..normally with no sleep. I gained weight and was so damn unhappy for 3 YEARS. I swore never again.
My advice, don't beat yourself up over this..do what you need to do to stay happy in this life.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:41 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Just started a new position as a salaried manager, and found out by surprise today that I am expected to cover night and weekend shift in the absence of staffing. During the interview, I was ok with the occasional weekend, or late evening, but there was no mention made about nights. My job description makes no mention of that, either. I am healthwise not able to do nights at this point, and would have withdrawn my application, had I known this upfront.

Thoughts?
I hope that this issue doesn't cost you a good job.

Personally, I would certainly want to be sure that this was not manageable before just quitting. How can you be absolutely sure that working non traditional hours would be a medical issue for you? Good jobs are hard to find.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaengel1986 View Post
I'm an RN, have been a CNA for a few years before getting my nursing license. Healthcare is a 24/7 kinda thing, thankfully my current job very rarely has mandation, but frequently mandation happens in nursing home environments where a worker has to work two shifts because some person calls in. Didn't really know about this when I first got into nursing, I've had to adjust in the environments where it was the norm (my last job was working as an RN at a rehab facility, had to work 17-18 hour days occasionally).

Anyway, it didn't take me too long to get adjusted to a night shift schedule, as my current hospital position is a 12 hour night shift schedule, and all of us nurses swing shift on our days off if we have several day stretches. So I'm pleasantly saying, it may suck, but try to stick it out. Changing jobs sucks and (obviously not knowing what you actually manage), will probably cause more chaos on your health than just forcing yourself to swing shift. In the grand scheme of things, most nightshift nurses in the US swingshift constantly and though tiring, your body will get used to it.
Thank you for your encouraging message! Unfortunately, I have reached the point of burnout in 2016, including FMLA. I was later promoted to a manager position, with more regular hours, and clear expectations. As my current new role unfolds, this is a regression to what I had hoped to leave, especially with the promotion under my belt. Other managers do not have to staff odd hours.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
When they mentioned "late evenings" did it occur to you to ask about these "late evening" shifts and what it means? If you have a medical condition that prevents you from working nights, you should be the one raising the clarification issue so everyone knows the score. I"m sorry, but this is as much your fault.
Perhaps, but it is not customary in my field to make assumptions and leaps regarding work hours. They are usually clearly spelled out. Someone saying staying longer an evening here and there, when needed does not translate into a string of 12-hour night shifts in a row. That would typically be addressed clearly and upfront. What is my fault perhaps, and I'll add it to my learning curve, is that I was not asking this unusual question during the interview. The work, as it was described to me was mainly an office job. When I then saw my staffing responsibilities, I asked how that would reconcile with the work I am expected to do, I was told there wouldn't be all that much other work. ??? Huge red flag for me. I was lied to in both rounds of the interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment