U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-16-2018, 03:54 PM
 
96 posts, read 37,413 times
Reputation: 81

Advertisements

Just started a new position as a salaried manager, and found out by surprise today that I am expected to cover night and weekend shift in the absence of staffing. During the interview, I was ok with the occasional weekend, or late evening, but there was no mention made about nights. My job description makes no mention of that, either. I am healthwise not able to do nights at this point, and would have withdrawn my application, had I known this upfront.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-16-2018, 04:10 PM
 
Location: on the wind
2,320 posts, read 783,795 times
Reputation: 8415
If you really can't do nights, best to be honest. They can't fault you for honesty. Give them the chance to adjust the position. If it can't be done, both sides will need to deal with it. You need to consider carefully why it can't work...or whether you prefer not to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2018, 04:25 PM
 
96 posts, read 37,413 times
Reputation: 81
I was honest as soon as I found out today. I can't for health reasons. I think this is a case where we may have to part ways. In my field, night shift work is usually spelled out in the job posting so applicants know what they apply for. It is also a management position where this kind of shift work is not typical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2018, 04:27 PM
 
620 posts, read 216,016 times
Reputation: 1513
Unfortunately, you are going to have to do what your management asks you to do if you want to keep your job. In many job descriptions, there is the addendum something like "and anything else that is required". I had that type of addendum in just about every job description document of the jobs that I had. Even if there is no such provision in your job description, management can still ask you to do anything. They could also add that caveat formally into the job description at any time, since that is not any kind of a contract but simply a job description. Jobs change all the time and the descriptions are duly amended. The descriptions don't need an employee's sign off or permission for that to happen.

Unfortunately, employers lie frequently to job candidates about job responsibilities and many other things. They hook you, reel you in, and then hope that you do the job without complaining.

I would suggest feeling them out and seeing if you have any wiggle room. If not, then you will have to either put up with it or find another job. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2018, 04:50 PM
 
306 posts, read 78,585 times
Reputation: 297
This is something they absolutely should have told you! After about a week at my new job, I was told that I'd have to travel quarterly for the sales meetings. That was not brought up at all in the interview and it is something that MUST be brought up. What if I were a single mom or had an elderly parent at home? You need to let people know about important situations like this!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2018, 04:57 PM
 
620 posts, read 216,016 times
Reputation: 1513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexy633 View Post
This is something they absolutely should have told you! After about a week at my new job, I was told that I'd have to travel quarterly for the sales meetings. That was not brought up at all in the interview and it is something that MUST be brought up. What if I were a single mom or had an elderly parent at home? You need to let people know about important situations like this!!!
I agree that management should have made this clear. But they expect you to suck it up and do what they ask. Intimidation tactics could be introduced where they tell you that perhaps you are not a good fit for the position and that you should leave.

Management is in the driver's seat and expect you to comply or leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2018, 05:31 PM
 
8,604 posts, read 2,981,226 times
Reputation: 12296
Seems normal... part of a manager's job is staffing, if there is no staff, the manager fills in

Make sure you treat your night shift well if you want to keep them and you don't have to go in

Did you think you could close the doors if no one was there did you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2018, 05:41 PM
 
96 posts, read 37,413 times
Reputation: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Seems normal... part of a manager's job is staffing, if there is no staff, the manager fills in

Make sure you treat your night shift well if you want to keep them and you don't have to go in

Did you think you could close the doors if no one was there did you?
Does not seem "normal" in my field. But I hear what you're saying. In all my previous jobs this wasn't "normal", either. Managers orchestrate coverage, and in dire straits, help out in need, but not as an expectation for every call-out. If the expectation for nights is there, it is usually brought up during the interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2018, 05:49 PM
 
96 posts, read 37,413 times
Reputation: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Unfortunately, you are going to have to do what your management asks you to do if you want to keep your job. In many job descriptions, there is the addendum something like "and anything else that is required". I had that type of addendum in just about every job description document of the jobs that I had. Even if there is no such provision in your job description, management can still ask you to do anything. They could also add that caveat formally into the job description at any time, since that is not any kind of a contract but simply a job description. Jobs change all the time and the descriptions are duly amended. The descriptions don't need an employee's sign off or permission for that to happen.

Unfortunately, employers lie frequently to job candidates about job responsibilities and many other things. They hook you, reel you in, and then hope that you do the job without complaining.

I would suggest feeling them out and seeing if you have any wiggle room. If not, then you will have to either put up with it or find another job. Good luck.
I'm afraid you're spot on with this. My description does indeed carry such a catch-all clause. My previous jobs in the same category did not require night staffing, or any kind of fill-ins at all. This is just really bad news all around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2018, 06:20 PM
 
Location: S.W. Florida
1,306 posts, read 474,930 times
Reputation: 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelkeks View Post
Just started a new position as a salaried manager, and found out by surprise today that I am expected to cover night and weekend shift in the absence of staffing. During the interview, I was ok with the occasional weekend, or late evening, but there was no mention made about nights. My job description makes no mention of that, either. I am healthwise not able to do nights at this point, and would have withdrawn my application, had I known this upfront.

Thoughts?
Depends on how far you want to go with this, meaning do you like this job well enough to try and come to some mutual satisfaction with your employer, or are you at the point where you refuse to do the nights/weekend thing? Even if you have a valid medical reason, I advise you to get your Dr. to write you a work restriction that says something like”Mr. John Doe is a patient in our office and is being treated for a condition that will not permit him to work xyz hours.” The company will either honor the restriction, choose not to honor it, or suggest a modified schedule that your doctor will approve. Worth a shot if you like the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top