Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 10:19 AM

7,892 posts, read 4,889,157 times

Advertisements

Typically layoffs are the result of FAILED management . Unfortunately, layoffs are common in large companies since there is a plethora of horrible management these days. Of course, the root problems don't get taken care of (the lousy upper management) its always the productive workers who are used as scapegoats.

Thats the private sector for you. I don't suggest it to anyone. When you're career/life are put in the hands of a short-sighted nimrod upper manager and they fail and you pay the price. its not a good situation to be in. Public sector is the only one safe way to go now. You don't lose your livelihood because some idiot is in a position he has NO BUSINESS being in.

My company has been in a "free-fall" these past 3 years due to horrible business decisions and the only ones who have paid the price are the workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 02:08 PM

3,735 posts, read 4,044,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Usually in any organization you have some who are poor performers. If you are the boss, dealing with them can suck up way too much time.

A layoff gives you an easy way to get rid of those folks with a minimum of drama.

Jack Welsh at GE was famous for implementing Darwinism within the organization. At GE, they would do 10% layoffs each year. That motivated the survivors to work harder.
Yep, that's what Jack said, but like so many of his lies it was far from the truth. It did a good job of destroying what was left of the survivors. Those that survived became aware that their job, company, and working conditions weren't what they were touted at their hiring and became lackluster employees, if they hung around for more than a month or two.

Jack and Jeff did a great job of trashing a once great company; they should both be in the CEO Hall of Shame.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:39 PM

2,606 posts, read 2,683,568 times
My company seems to do reorganization every 2 years. sometimes its minor reorg where our task or title changes but no head count change. some times it is bigger reorg say every 5 years where headcount changes or we have to bid for our job and go thru interview position. I have been here 10 years and survived 6 reorg. somehow they find a place for me. It is the people who refuse to take any role they assign have the most problem

Old 02-19-2018, 02:52 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,468,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Typically layoffs are the result of FAILED management
oh come on, I thought people these days were hyper competitive with flashing who has the bigger degree and the larger student debt...

failed management? Seems like it is working how they intended it... large companies are only getting larger

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitality_curve
Quote:
That said, in 2013 one human resources consultant estimated that 30% of Fortune 500 companies still used some sort of ranking system but often under a different name.[7] A 2013 survey by WorldatWork, however, showed that it was used by about 12% of U.S. companies,[8] whereas another by CEB in the same year found that it was used by 29% of companies.[9]
somewhere from 12% to 30% of companies seem to use this

so... 1/10 to 1/3, take your odds when you job hop around, because those odds over a dozen jobs don't look too good

Old 02-19-2018, 02:53 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,520,468 times
anytime my corp. buys another (reducing redundancies -- maximizing efficiencies...).

Old 02-19-2018, 03:18 PM

127 posts, read 108,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namogel View Post

So...how common is this? (note that I am in the finance industry)
It is the norm. Big companies layoff a lot of people each year. My friend work in a fortune 500 company. They just laid off a lot of people last week. But in his department, only his manager got laid off. He made too much money, six-figures. It is quite normal each year at around this time for that company to let people go.

My other friend also works for a big company. He works there for ten years now. So far he has survived because he is smart. He doesn't sit around waiting to get laid off. Whenever he senses something go wrong such as a sudden decrease in workload, he always put a request in to transfer to another department. He is lucky. All his previous departments he had worked are closed and all the people he had worked with are gone. There is a major layoff coming in next couple months. I don't know if he can survive that or not. You don't always get lucky. Soon or later, luck will run out.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:04 PM

13,627 posts, read 12,247,401 times
It depends on the company. To generalize based on a companies size is unfair. While the big company might be a lot more reactionary to the quarterly earnings report and shareholder call, small companies can be even more volatile, or political...

Old 02-19-2018, 04:07 PM

7,892 posts, read 4,889,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
It depends on the company. To generalize based on a companies size is unfair. While the big company might be a lot more reactionary to the quarterly earnings report and shareholder call, small companies can be even more volatile, or political...
Generally smaller companies have less jerks and idiots . The bigger the company the more corporate stooges you're dealing with where the ONLY thing that matters is short-term numbers and to hell with a year or two down the road. And most companies today all that matters is cutting expenses to look good in the short-term. But there are only so many expenses you can cut to make your numbers look good. Sooner or later, you have to PRODUCE something other than reducing headcount

Old 02-20-2018, 08:42 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,197,200 times
i too work for a company over 50,000 employees and layoffs happen every few months or so in various departments. However this mainly because company not doing so great for a few years; historically it was a stable environment.

Old 02-21-2018, 02:44 PM

4,377 posts, read 2,872,158 times
Typically the poor performers are "laid off". Basically I think every year large companies clean house and get rid of the bottom 5% of employees. They just call it a layoff when it is really a firing. I remember GE CEO jack Welch implemented something like this where they got rid of the bottom 10% performers in the company every year. So layoff is generally for people not bad enough to fire, but not good enough to keep.

Last edited by Berteau; 02-21-2018 at 03:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment